Mental Health Support Thread (NOT for giving medical advice, or debating)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Scattercat, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

Thanks for the support after my little episode last night. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I literally fell asleep on top of my phone the moment I posted it.

I know I'm being silly and childish, but in a lot of ways I really am still just a frightened kid dressed up as a policeman and struggling to live up to what I've taken on.

That's why I like writing; it gives me a little world where I can make sure that nothing too awful happens to people who don't deserve it. Doing that in real life is hard.

I'm not happy being away from my team. We are- or, at least, we were- really close. They were my support network and without them it's just me and my poor, put-upon partner who is a girl ten years my junior.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. It's good to be at least a little less alone.

And, yeah, I'm not good company. Not in my eyes, anyway.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :)
    GIR Gonna Hug You.png

4. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I'm going to start DBT in June for 15 months. It's targeted specifically at mother's with borderline who have children in care, so how wonderfully apt is that? :agreed:

5. Reece

Reece Senior Member

15 months! That's awesome. Most people around here get 6 weeks if they're lucky.

6. flawed personality

The strange part is that the forensic psychiatrist who assessed me down in Dublin in 2016 and 2017 recommended 2 years of therapy.

Kinzvlle and Shenanigator like this.
  7. Reece

Reece Senior Member

It sounds like Ireland has a pretty decent set up. Most personality disorders only improve with therapy, and a lot of it, because you have to learn to understand your thought processes and work to correct your negative cognitions, develop coping skills, and all of that takes time. I wish we had that here. Therapy should be covered just like medicine. There isn't always a pill for everything.

8. flawed personality

For those who may be interested, Darkness Into Light isn't just in Ireland. It also runs in:
    Australia,
    Bahrain,
    Belgium,
    Canada,
    Germany,
    Hong Kong,
    Iceland,
    Luxembourg,
    New Zealand,
    Northern Ireland,
    Poland,
    Qatar,
    South Africa,
    South Korea,
    Spain,
    Sweden,
    Switzerland,
    The Netherlands,
    United Arab Emirates,
    and
    United Kingdom. :)
    Each country and area will raise money for different causes, but most are fundraising for Mental Health charities.

Reece, Shenanigator and Alan Aspie like this.
  9. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

I'm heading back to work today and I'm really nervous.

After what I'm pretty sure have been the three worst weeks of my life (I've had more dramatic disasters, but my PTSD means I'm dealing with the current stuff as well as those, rather than instead of them) I'm not sure how my behaviour has affected my relationship with my partner. How is a 22-year old woman going to feel about her 37-year old friend having a weeks-long meltdown in her direction and latching on to her as his fixed point? I've put a huge weight on her without her permission and without meaning to.

I'll be lucky if she doesn't taser me on sight.

10. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Just remember to breath. That's need number one. Keep that covered and you'll be doing better than literally everyone born before 1881.

11. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

I had a dissociative episode at work.

I've been taken off active duty and told to report to our HQ next week so they can arrange proper treatment.

There were a lot of tears when I hugged my partner goodbye. I'll see her again a few weeks, I know, but it feels so permanent now.

I feel completely humiliated and so very alone.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Hugs privateer - life's shit sometime bruh

13. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

*Hugs*

The fact that your HQ knows how to arrange proper treatment shows that many have gone before you, so in spirit, at least, you are not alone and have many comrades. Try to hang on to that.

You're very brave. Even brave people go through rough times now and then, and one has nothing to do with the other.

I'm sending you good vibes.

Some Guy, Privateer and Cave Troll like this.
  14. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Life is life and and you've been through some. You're not alone and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
  15. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

Thanks, guys. The last few weeks have been a real rollercoaster.

I've been hiding my PTSD from the Job, with only a few very close friends knowing about it. I thought the response to my diagnosis would be the same as the Army's was in my day ('Oh, dear, that's a shame. Well, there's the door...') but it hasn't been like that at all. I realised I couldn't do my job and reported myself to my boss who said he was impressed and proud of me for doing it and glad that I had, as he'd been preparing to come looking for me after a colleague expressed concern for my well-being. I explained that I had realised I was putting my partner at risk and that that had finally outweighed my fear of losing my job. I felt like I was explaining to Darth Vader how I'd lost track of the Millenium Falcon.

His response to that was that they'd never fire me for something that was done to me and that losing my job over this was never even an option. He made me a cup of tea and got me tissues when I started crying. I hadn't expected that.

They've all been so understanding and the official reaction has, essentially, been that PTSD is an occupational hazard in our line of work and is to be treated as an injury like any other, so I'm of to see our medics next week and see what they can do for me.

16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    That's great (not the PTSD, the response). When I worked 9-1-1, the response to work stress was generally a write-up for inappropriate behavior, followed by assignments to what was in effect punitive details (working the difficult channels every night for a month, last lunch, etc). Do what the docs tell you, take a breather, whatever you need, you've got this.

17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Sounds like a good boss - I wish my boss had been that understanding when i was diagnosed with depression (My then boss i mean, my now boss is great) - of course that was never likely since him being a bullying asshat was the proximate cause of my depression.

18. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

Yeah, whatever they can offer me, I'll take. Apparently we have lots of options for this because it's so common. I just want to get this sorted and get back to my team, so they will have my full cooperation.

EDIT: Sorry to hear that, Moose. Yeah, he's a good boss. He's ex-SF of some sort, so I hadn't expected him to be quite so touchy-feely. Guess he's seen worse than this before now.

19. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I've found that a lot of the people who have seen the worst stuff are the most understanding, you just have to keep the door closed so the rest of the staff don't know unless they need to.

20. Reece

Reece Senior Member

You don't deserve to suffer like you do, no matter what you think. You need proper treatment. It didn't go down the best way, but this is an opportunity for you to get better and hit the street again a better partner for her. Engage with treatment. Be positive. Try your best. Good luck. Keep us posted!

ETA: I'm so glad your boss was supportive. They should have a lot of options for you. Our healthcare systems aren't identical, but I used to work an an occupational stress injury clinic (mostly PSTD treatment for vets and cops) and they had access to a lot of treatment options. I hope you get the same :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
  21. big soft moose

I've brought the posts about @Privateers experience over here from the not happy thread as it seemed the most appropriate place.

Can I just remind everyone that dealing with any mental health issue is the preserve of professionals - non expert medical advice can be incredibly damaging even if it is doubtless given with the best intentions. (if your post is missing from the thread that is why)

As a community when one of our number is hurt or suffering we of course want to help them - and it is a fine and laudable thing, but rather than suggesting options for treatment, or diagnosis, or suggesting what they need to do, that help should take the form of letting them know that we care about them, we have their back , and we are all here if they need to talk.

22. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That's heartwarming to hear—about your boss. I'm glad that compassion and understanding are still fully operational in this world. Best of luck to you for your treatment.

Shenanigator likes this.
  23. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

Sorry for cluttering up the wrong thread with this stuff, guys.

24. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I'm glad to hear you have a direction to go during your hiatus. Thanks BSM for getting stuff where it needs to be. This definitely needs a dedicated spot. My little blab-blahs tend to the lecturous, so I'll rephrase.
    Emotional issues are a physical action, therefore treatable. There's hope.
    Treatment works. Don't be afraid.
    We do care about our peeps. Don't be sorry for sharing. Let us know how things are going. :)

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  25. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

I'm having a bit of a panic just now.

My bond with my partner has been so, so important to me and she's been my rock in all this. I'm terrified that I'm not going to see her again or be allowed to work with her any more.

I'm getting kind of frantic. I don't want to go to HQ. I want to go and see my friend. I don't feel safe except next to her.

Shenanigator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.