1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Deciding Time

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, Jul 1, 2010.

Okay, I'm at point in my story in which I have most of the storyline outlined. However, my story has undergone various changes--the last one being that the story should be during the Victorian Era. Now, I didn't have a problem until I realized something after watching Eclipse and the HP7 teaser trailer: Part of these phenomenons' charm is that people would kill to live in those worlds. I'm not sure, but I believe this is easier to pull when a story takes place during our time, compared to a scenario like the Victorian Era. What do you think? :)

2. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

What's your premise? I'm facing a similar issue to yours (except the decision is between modern day and an entirely different universe), and your choice might influence mine as well.

3. RobT

RobT Active Member

You could say that writing in the present should be easier as we understand the world that we live in. I don't personaly think it's as cut and dried as that. If you've researched any past era well enough, then you should be able to pull it off as well as writing about the present. You also have fantasy land where you can go as far as your imagination.

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

If your story is exactly the same whether its in the Victorian period or modern day, then you probably haven't got a solid enough grasp on Victorian society. In almost every way, the two societies are vastly different, and its difficult to imagine a story that would play out exactly the same in either. HP and Eclipse certainly couldn't be easily translated to the Victorian period without dramatic changes to the stories.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I think the best setting depends on your plot and storyline. What's the general plot (character, goal, opposition, motivation)?

6. CaKsTeR

CaKsTeR New Member

I would've thought that you would come up with your time period before you planned out the story. After all (Like has been said above), the plot will be drastically different depending on when it takes place.

7. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Everyone pretty much said it for me. Victorian era had a lot of major differences from today. So it depends on the characters and plot. I don't see how it would be feasible to have a plot be exactly the same when the two times are so very different.

8. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

It's not the same plot, of course it would change depending on it. It is a fantasy genre, so I have the technology factor to think of, as well as the transportation one. And of course the characters wouldn't be the same, because of the social differences between these two periods: However, with long and pain-staking research I think I can actually pull it off.
    The problem I'm having with deciding is that, like I mentioned above, modern transportation and technology could pretty much make my story lose realism. And as writers, you can understand how important it is to suspend disbelief.

9. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Ah I see. Well, it is fantasy so it doesn't have to be exact on things. Have you considered making it an alternate history novel?