MG vs YA and word count

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Gidget, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I never read YA books when I was in the targeted age bracket unless they were assigned in class. Middle through High school, my reading consisted of:
    • Stephen King (my first book of his was Salem's Lot when I was 12 years old)
    • The Thorn Birds
    • Gone with the Wind
    • Any historical romance novel I could get my hands on
    • Jackie Collins
    • A smattering of Agatha Christie books (I only liked the Hercule Poirot books)
    • Ellery Queen/Alfred Hitchcock mystery anthologies
    As soon as I was allowed into the adult section of the library (the aforementioned 12 years old), I don't think I ever stepped in the kid's section again. Of course, I was also a precocious little shit who considered myself far more mature and intelligent than my peers, so that had a lot to do with it. :D

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I should apologize again. "Censorship" was a poor(ish) choice of word. I simply meant that certain adults were making reading choices on behalf of the kids. These adults were not related to the kids and didn't know them at all, but they assumed the right to determine what kids read by choosing what to publish for kids. Sure, kids could read adult books (I did - I read very few MG books), but the point is that they were denied the opportunity to read something targeted to them simply because some dowdy old adult decided that the manuscript was too long.

3. Gidget

Gidget Member

. . . which makes one wonder if this merely gives the publishing industry the impression that longer "experimental" books are marketable only because of the author's name and not because market trends are changing. IMHO, that is a flawed experiment.

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I think it's no longer experimental once the author is a known commodity in their eyes.

Gidget likes this.
  5. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

Actually I did look at it, because I googled it. That's how I quoted the adult numbers. But thanks for the condescending response anyways when I was trying to be civil.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017