1. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Michael Jackson Banned In Canada

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by EBohio, Mar 6, 2019.

Three radio stations in Canada will never play any Michael Jackson songs again after that documentary came out.

Everybody knew Michael Jackson was a freak and that something was wrong with him starting in the '80s. It doesn't mean the music was bad or should be banned.

IMO he was definitely a pedophile but I am still going to listen to his music.

If you watch the doc you have to wonder why the parents were so stupid in the first place. Really, letting your son sleep with a grown man 30 straight nights with no questions or suspicions. One night would be too much for me.

I reposted this from the debate room since something is wrong there. I see it on my computer but not my phone. This really shouldn't be heated anyway.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I never heard of this. But the question I have is, why now? I remember the court room drama as it played out and it was really obvious back then. The cynical part of my brain is telling me that back then he was either too marketable, or this is just a tactic to draw controversy in order to pull a profit by exploiting a dead person's reputation and the trauma of children.

3. EBohio

EBohio Banned

The doc premiered at Sundance now is showing on HBO. https://deadline.com/2019/01/michael-jackson-leaving-neverland-sundance-film-festival-police-concerns-protests-threats-1202538783/

The 9 year old child bride is the creepiest. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8280366/michael-jackson-forced-boy-9-marry-wedding-bribe-dad/

Kinzvlle likes this.
  4. EBohio

EBohio Banned

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the new now. Anybody strongly suspected of imperfection will now be erased from public visibility.

Granted, Michael was disturbed and disturbing on many levels, but as a performer, he was unrivaled. But he has been judged by the masses, for which there is no appeal, no clemency, and there are no rules of evidence.

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Is there really anything "new" about this?

Kinzvlle likes this.
  7. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Ah well. Least his music isn't about molesting children and whatnot. So I can still enjoy it.

Kinzvlle and jim onion like this.
  8. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I wonder if the same thing happened to music by the Lostprophets (lead singer convicted sex offender; attempted to rape a younger-than-13-year-old).

Kinzvlle likes this.
  9. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

The awareness that he stockpiled images of animal killing, child torture and other stuff, does rather taint his music for me. I'd really rather he disappeared. Pity his fame and money, and the power such things confer, insured him against sufficient legal scrutiny at the time. I'm glad we're now in an age where abusers can't so easily get away with that shit, supported by complicit institutions (and horribly in this instance, dumb greedy parents).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Kinzvlle and jim onion like this.
  10. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Oh for sure, it did for me as well. Damn shame. I'd just never try to stop other people from listening (i.e. ban it from radio).

Kinzvlle and Harmonices like this.
  11. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Yeah, I don't see much point in banning the songs from radio. All a bit belatedly woke point scoring.

12. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Just reread your OP. So there's no law banning MJ from the airwaves in Canada, just three stations have decided to remove his catalogue from their play lists?

I don't have a problem with that tbh. Radio stations can decide what music they want to play, or not to play.

I wouldn't like to see a countrywide ban enforced by law, though. That I would object to.

BayView likes this.
  13. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I didn't hear about the animal killings (a trigger for me). He had photos of animal killings???

14. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Yeah, sexual animal sacrifices, whatever that means. And child torture. I guess he was a sadist as well as the rest. I is gonna leave this thread now. All a bit :blech:

15. EBohio

EBohio Banned

He had S&M stuff, I heard that. I haven't and probably won't watch the documentary because it's the parents I'm most mad at. Let the dead rest but don't forget what they were. He was just a sick dude in his private life. I'm sure there are lots of celebrities that took secrets to the grave.

Harmonices likes this.
  16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Of late it has become MUCH more prevalent. Renaming streets and historic sites because a historical figure is considered racist (applying to apply today's standards to people in a worse time), having stations not play "Baby, It's Cold Outside" because someone reinterpreted the lyrics as date rape, people losing their jobs for using words or symbols that are now associated with hate speech (out of context), and so on.

We're all sailing to hell on the good ship Political Correctness.

17. jim onion

jim onion New Member

^Careful, They're coming.

Bayview does have a point that this isn't necessarily new. But here in the US, we didn't rename cities after we won independence. Or streets, for that matter.

And if we did and I was around to see it, I'd still be against it.

As the work of a musician is not confined by their person, neither is a statue of King George confined by "no representation for taxation". Nor confined by the intent of the artist. It's both those things and more.

18. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Well, they just can't handle it in London: Michael Jackson Innocent Campaign