Microsoft Word for the Mac

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by jannert, Apr 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You really shouldn't be uploading a word doc direct to kdp at all - even if the formatting holds up you'll get a very bloated file - it is better to use a formatting software or service to generate a mobi (and an epub if you are talking it wide), and a pdf for print

The insistence on opening thing is to do with which program is set as default - sometimes the installation of libre sets it as default (word will likely do the same thing) but it is easy to change back

jannert likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you can - but you aren't supposed to legally speaking especially if the seller isstill using the licence on another machine

also buying a computer to get a copy of word would be nuts $400 dollars to get an old copy of software that you can buy for less than a quarter of that or subscribe for about $8 a month

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I just panicked at the LibreOffice snaffle and got rid of it. I was just testing it out, and didn't really need it anyway ...and it felt glitchy to me. It was a couple of years ago.

I am nowhere near ready to upload to KDP yet, but I will certainly keep your advice in mind about formatting software. I have a lot to learn. Pages can export to:
    PDF
    Word
    EPUB
    Plain text
    RTF

...but it doesn't export to Mobi, which is annoying. That would solve a lot of my problems. Damn.

4. big soft moose

you could use a free converter like calibre , or one of the conversion services like draft to digital

Scrivener will output a mobi but its formatting options are basic

I bought vellum but that depends on how many books you are going to write since its $249 which is a lot if you aren't looking at a self pubbed career with multiple books

You could also use a conversion service like polgarus studios who will do it for about $80

5. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

To get from Pages via Epub to Mobi, you can use calibre, which is free. It's an annoying extra step, in particular since calibre works by adding the files to a library (which means you have keep the library clean if you go through multiple drafts), but otherwise it's fairly simple (and safe. I doubt I have ever encountered any conversion problems, since both Mobi and Epub are basically 'just' HTML dialects.)

jannert likes this.
  6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You might look into WPS Office. Also has a free version. If it is available for Mac I think it is generally considered better at Word compatibility. I found the Windows version to convert well.

jannert likes this.
  7. jannert

Well, what do you know. I actually have Calibre. A very old version, but I just checked, and I can get an update, no bother.

This is going to sound like a silly question from a total clueless source, but is EPUB (all caps) the same as Epub? On my Mac, the export is for EPUB.

8. big soft moose

yes

jannert likes this.
  9. jannert

thanks, Moose....

10. jannert

Just did, and it is available for Mac, but unfortunately only for the iOS system, which is for phones ...not desktops. Ach well....

Steerpike likes this.
  11. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Yep. Both apps were hard installed (disk) and don't require a handshake from either Adobe or Microsoft. Of course I don't have the installer disks, so if something bad happens to the computer I'm out of luck. This is the second used laptop I've purchased on eBay, and well worth it. So long as you buy from a very reputable seller you'll be fine.

jannert likes this.
  12. jannert

You can create a bootable clone of your system, if you've got a portable storage disk that's big enough. I use a Seagate Backup Plus (Slim) Portable Storage disk, which makes a clone of my MacOS and everything on it. It's not only a total copy of everything on my computer, including all programmes, but it's bootable. If my computer conks out totally, I can reboot from this disk.

We use the programme SuperDuper! to set this up. It's really easy to use. And while the disk isn't terribly cheap, it can be used over and over again. It can only be used for one bootable backup at a time, though. If you want to update the bootable disk, you need to erase it first, then start again. (It's a skoosh with SuperDuper!)

I haven't tried it, but I believe you can access any/all of your files from it though, without rebooting. So if your Word packed in, you'll still have this copy.

13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Depends. An OEM license will usually provide for transfer on a sale of the device itself. If you get a used computer that came with an OEM version of Office, you're probably OK.

14. big soft moose

true - but not iof the vendor is using the licence on their new machine

however the point is moot since buying a second hand computer with office would cost a lot more than just buying office

15. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

For cloning, I use Carbon Copy Cloner. Just want to mention it for completeness sakes. Super Duper is a fine app, too.

Regarding accessing Word from a clone drive... I had a workable license of Office 2010 on my drive when it caved. Swapped the drive with the clone. So the Office apps complained I needed to re-activate... They were the only apps that needed something like this. Even my aging Adobe suite [since then replaced by Affinity] just chugged on. (I had lost the one key that Office claimed it needed to re-activate. I know that one could re-activate without it – there's a Microsoft internal app that found its way onto disreputable websites – but Microsoft's support claimed the only way for me to continue was a Office 365 subscription [when their own T&Cs said it's not], but since I hadn't needed Word much I just let it go. Was Word-free since then until they started the App Store version. I mainly downloaded the App Store version to see if anything significant had changed, and for the odd file test.)

jannert likes this.
  16. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

I don't use Word. I came to that conclusion after trying to use master document mode and quickly mangling my document beyond easy repair.

There are no perfect word processors. I've got both Mellel and Nisus, and of the two, Mellel is probably quite a bit more reliable, but there are some show stoppers that keep me using Nisus. Nisus, by the way, is very reliable. Mellel probably has the edge. Maybe.

Mellel's style handling is cumbersome. It works with absolute reliability, but it's a little odd. You have global styles and you have document styles. A global style will become a document style if you change it in a document. A document style becomes a global style if you globalize it.

It works quite well, but there is a little bit of acclimatization.

Nisus will let you save styles to style sets. Once a style set is loaded into a document, any mods are local to the document until you save the style set (or just a few of the styles) back to the style library, which is just a file. You can have as many style libraries as you want. It's very natural.

Mellel is stronger in footnotes, endnotes, table notes, tables of contents, indices, and all that sort of document structure stuff.

Mellel always displays WYSIWYG. The two views, Mellel view and compact view, are both page oriented.

Nisus has a draft view, similar to Word's web view. In draft, you don't see page breaks, and the text reflows as you expand or shrink the window horizontally.

I live in Nisus' draft view.

Nisus also features horizontal and vertical splits, to show different parts of a document in different panes, or you can open multiple windows into the document. I've found this critical in technical writing, where one section builds on something presented elsewhere.

Mellel supports multiple windows and multiple tabs per window, but you never get more than one view into a document.

There is also an iOS version of Mellel. Not all Mellel features are supported, but the iOS version won't harm features in a document.

Mellel supports a nice thing called story points, and that's one reason I would really like to start using Mellel. In fact, I think I might, except for one big problem said to be under scrutiny for a Mellel upgrade.

You can't export to docx, and the doc export is really rtf with a ".doc" extension on the file name. You can import docx, but I don't see a straight path from Mellel to epub, even taking a trip through Pandoc.

Anyway, I wish someone would get it right.

Martin Beerbom likes this.