1. laramsche

laramsche Member

Might as well introduce myself...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by laramsche, Sep 2, 2019.

...I am quite an introvert, struggling a lot to form social connections, so I will mostly be a silent reader here.

Writing is part of my life since childhood, but I just realized two or three years ago how important it really is to me. Since then I am learning as much as I can to improve my writing.

So far I haven't published anything and I don't intend to rush it. I don't write for the money, I write for myself first, somewhat in a therapeutic way to cope with my problems. The ultimate goal is, to get at least one book out, on paper, regardless of its success. Just one book.

The main genre I write in, is science fiction. Though, I also draw a lot of inspiration from fantasy to see how well certain things translate to sci-fi. I am also not afraid to include adult content to include exotic kinks, not just for arousal, but also as means to show how the society in my sci-fi world has changed.
    I also prefer sci-fi, because it can be intertwine with the genres post-apocalyptic and dystopia, two other genres I am quite font of.

Well, that's enough of an introduction, I suppose.

Tralala likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Welcome! I'm Iain, one of the mods here. If you haven't had a chance to yet, be sure to check out [n][/n] and [r][/r], and don't be shy about contacting me or one of the other active mods (jannert and big soft moose at the moment) if you have any questions or problems.

You'll need to have two weeks' membership, twenty posts (which include two constructive critiques of others' writing) before you can post in the Workshop for critique of your own work, but until then, feel free to poke around and jump into any one of the numerous discussions that are ongoing here. Those initial requirements will fly by.

You'll find this a place that welcomes all sorts of personality types, so don't be afraid to get involved. You might discover that there's another side to your personality that expresses itself more freely through the keyboards than face to face. I know I have, I'm much quieter and more reserved in the real world than I am online.

Just one caution on your writing: We do allow adult content here, but even if your overall work is SF, be sure not to post anything "racy" in the regular threads. There's an Erotica section in the workshop that is age-limited and allows that sort of content, it's got its own rules on postings.

So welcome aboard, and we look forward to seeing you around.

laramsche likes this.
  3. laramsche

laramsche Member

Thank you Iain.

...I assume something went wrong here, not sure what to check out...

I'll surely check out the erotica section, kinda curious how racy is allowed...

4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Whoops, not sure what happened, here: New Member Quick Start and Forum Rules.

Let's see how that works out.

5. laramsche

laramsche Member

Perfect, checking it out now...

6. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Worked. Okay, the Erotica Rules are here, but the relevant section is:

The 1 rating is for people who are writing specifically erotic pieces but want critique on the non-erotic parts of them, or works that lightly gloss over a sexual scene. A PG scene ("She dropped her dress, revealing her body in all its glory") and no further (kind of the James Bond sex) would probably be okay in a normal thread, but once you're getting into more nitty and/or gritty, you need to move your stuff into the erotica section and tag it appropriately. If you aren't sure, take your instinct and go one click higher (I think it's a one, but I'm going to mark it as a two just to be safe).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

7. laramsche

laramsche Member

I do have one last question for now, just to be on the safe side. Aliens seem to be allowed in erotica, but I assume they fall under the same rule as bestiality? Meaning: 50% humanoid, 50% alien is allowed, but 0% humanoid, 100% alien (potentially with unidentifiable body parts) is not allowed, am I correct?

8. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Let me double check with the rest of the mod team on this one. I've got my instant answer, but I'd like their input as well.

laramsche and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I would suppose a simpler question would be: Does Chuck Tingle level Erotica
    qualify the line or pass it? Cause that guy has everything from Dinos, Biker Stallions,
    to bloody Gay Corn. Pretty sure a naughty elf romp doesn't really come off as all that
    bad, when comparing it to Rule 34 level insanity. Just a thought. :whistle:

laramsche likes this.
  10. laramsche

laramsche Member

Just as you think you've seen everything,... :supershock:

Tralala and Cave Troll like this.
  11. Cave Troll

You would think, but he is a real author, look him up on amazon. :p

12. laramsche

laramsche Member

I did...

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I'm a fan of turning sexual norms in society sideways in sci-fi. Click around Erotica to see if my L4+ posts are there, or look at my first couple of blogs. I recall writing something about issues. Anyway, post-apocalyptic scenarios really need a fair turn in sexual reality. PM me to discuss what people might actually come up with rather than how we (now dead) would object to it. :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

:superidea:Just before the apocalyse. :supergrin:
    Ordnance.jpg

Some Guy likes this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Sorry for the delay @laramsche, we've had some oddness in the behind the scenes lately that's taken up some of our time. Basically, the Mod team feels that as long as your aliens are clearly adults within their species and culture and consenting, you can get as weird as you want (within the other rules of the Erotica subforum). Just make sure that your aliens are alien and not a stand-in for something we'd find (and not allow in our forum) on Earth. No humanoid aliens that just so happen to resemble underage humans, no "Wow, you look just like a horse!" "Yes, well, everyone from Betelgeuse 7 looks like a horse, and we undergo branding as a sign of clan loyalty" or anything like that. Not saying you would do anything along those lines, but I wanted to make sure you didn't accidentally wander into that sort of territory. If you're not sure, shoot me a short excerpt before you post and I'll let you know if you're in the danger zone or not.

Happy posting!

laramsche and Cave Troll like this.
  16. laramsche

laramsche Member

No problem about the delay @Iain Aschendale, and thanks for clarification. I am quite surprised, I had anticipated a much stricter ruling on this. I understand the reasoning, which falls in line with my creation of aliens, as I think they would not resemble anything on earth (except humans maybe).

Still, I might take you up on your offer, to shoot you a short excerpt, just to be on the safe side...

Iain Aschendale likes this.