1. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Two Plot Ideas/Directions: Need Help Chosing One!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lilix morgan, Mar 25, 2009.

So the books I've been writing for the past three, going on four months, Statues (as it's called at the moment) has come to a bit of a standstill for me. Today I sat down and thought about how I was going to edit Chapter Two after recieving some revisions, only to think about the idea of a new direction of the writing.

Now I'm stuck, because both of the plot ideas are nice, but nothing is truly sparkling for me. I'm sure it's not clicking because my head's a jumbled mess right now, but I'd like to kind of figure out which would be a more creative, inventive, or just interesting way to go with this. So here's the two plot ideas I've got rolling for this.

Plot idea one:
    After chapter one, when Lillian leaves work to drive to Portland for an interview, she stops at a local restaurant for some brunch (because she's got an extra hour or two before the interview). During the munching, she connects with a friend of hers, but it turns sour when she sees her friend reading the paper with the picture on the front of a vampire attack, one that affects Lillian more than it should. It's later discovered she's so affected by vampires and their presence because she lost her lover to a vampire attack two years ago, and it still hasn't healed over for her. Plus, Ryan, her friend, had been attacked recently too. She heads over to Portland for the interview, learns about another recent attack in the area, and it pushes her to pass out after she discovers a vial of blood in one of the backrooms, prompting her to wonder just what was going on at this place.

Plot idea two:
    After chapter one, when Lillian leaves work to drive to Portland for an interview, she heads straight there, only later in the day, so it's during club hours. Admist the loud music and everything she gets pieces of the conversation, but instead goes into a back room with the interviewer to hear them better. During her look around the room she discovers a small vial filled with blood, which prompts her to pass out.

Basically the first one cuts out the restaurant at the beginning, that's all. I don't know why, but I'm unsure of that staying there. I know what happens later, but it will be influenced by this point, and I'm unsure where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

2. Imposter

Imposter New Member

Hey Lilix,

This always helps me when I'm trying to decide whether or not a scene works or not. Does it drive the plot forward? Even if the answer is yes, I take it a step further and ask myself if the information I provide the reader in that scene can be moved and combined with another scene? It's a matter of being economical with the information.

I've read the version with the diner in it and personally it worked for me. That's not to say he couldn't use some adjustments, what scene couldn't, but the plot was moved along in that scene.

My two cents worth.

PS. I understand about jumbled heads and real life leaking into our work. All you can do is try to prevent it from coloring it too much. Chin up! Trust your voice.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why not defer the decision for now? Develop the story further in, and later on decide which of the two ideas (or another one entirely!) best helps bring the story to where you are going.

Just because the reader reads the story sequentially does not mean it must be written that way.

Again, the story idea means nothing without the actual writing. YOU are writing the story. It will hang together much better if you make the decisions.

4. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

I like the way both of you think. I'm going to roll with the idea for now, and if something better comes along later, I'll just change it up.

Thanks guys. I think it was just my silly little mind and current stuff in life that got me wondering how it was going, that's all. :)

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

If after writing further, you still can't decide whether or not you'd like to keep the diner scene, why not try writing both options and seeing which works better? Sometimes when I'm not sure about how a scene should go, I do that, and it can really help. Also, you said neither idea really sparkled for you, and who knows, maybe writing out both scenarios can open up some options for a third scenario that REALLY clicks with you. :)

Best of luck!

6. Light

Light New Member

Keep the restaurant scene in, then read through a little later on and see if it fits.

7. edens garden

edens garden New Member

I quite liked the restaurant scene. I think it could be fine tuned a little bit, but it helps you see into the main character a little more. Not to mention, i liked betty's character. I think her already being affected by the picture in the paper would have her on edge by the time she gets to the interview, making her more likely to notice the vial. Not to mention since the vampires are already on her mind she will be more likely to jump to conclusions and panic. Whatever you decide, I am sure it will turn out well. Your story is a great read so far.

8. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Aww, thanks guys!

I think I know how this is going to go down in my book, so I'm going to start editing and get it up soon!

9. writing4me

writing4me Member

I prefer the first plot idea than the second, as I think the restaurant scene will translate better to the reader. You have a nice idea here, just stick with it. Or maybe let it sit for a while and come back with a fresh set of mind and you might just find which plot idea you want to use. Sorry I couldn't be of more help (My head is also a jumbled mess at the moment with my own novel idea).

CJ

10. Azkadellia

Azkadellia New Member

Sounds like a great little story you've got going - sounds like you've got it all worked out, but I just wanted to say, this line cracked me up!! :p

11. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

-bursts out in laughter-

Oh... my goodness.
    I didn't even realize that. Hah! What a hoot!
    XD That's me, always making little funnies without even knowing.

12. Eleanora

Eleanora New Member

I prefer the first plot idea with the diner scene. Plus, you can always take it out later if it doesn't flow.