Military Uniform Concept

Discussion in 'Research' started by GuardianWynn, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

You just changed it from "isn't medic a rank" to "it seems like a title too".

:bigconfused:

2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

A friend was trying to explain it to me. I think I get it.
    Let me see if I got this.

In this case different color represents doctor. But you can have higher ranking officer doctors. So rank would need a seperate way to define them. About right?

3. Aaron DC

Yes, potentially. Medic doesn't have to be doctor solely, either. You can be (Aussie army) a medical attendant, for instance.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  4. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Most army doctors have the same ranking system as the rest of the army, they're just organized into their own medical units with their own command structure. The head of the medical unit will be a general or a colonel (or whatever) - and the lower ranking officers will be lieutenants (and enlisted will have enlisted ranks - although - wait - can you be enlisted as a doctor? Anyway you get my drift)

GuardianWynn likes this.
  5. Aaron DC

Googling your favourite army or military organisation would give you an example of how it's setup, the requirements, etc.

6. Aaron DC

In Australia they push degree qualified people to do officer training.

7. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Senior Member

Or, you could, y'know, make up your own system entirely.

8. GuardianWynn

You are awesome! Side note

9. novemberjuliet

novemberjuliet Member

Just a brief answer based on your initial questions (haven't read replies so sorry if I repea anything).
    My experience at hoe and overseas has lead me to a few conclusions regarding military uniforms.
    1.) An any specific environment, uniformity will likely keep all soldiers of the same unit in mostly identical uniforms.
    2.) Rank and branch (specialty/occupation/job/whatever) are usually differentiated by insignia (stripes/unit patches/cords/etc.).
    3.) While I can't dictate what your world will be like, traditionally the bureaucracy of military service will require everyone to be in uniform in a strictly military environment unless you have a job that requires you to blend in to the civilian population (special operations/CID/maybe intelligence). So to answer your second question, no it wouldn't seem logical but if they are so elite they can still be given uniforms and just simply not be required to wear them so it doesn't really matter to a great degree.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  10. GuardianWynn

Thank you for the reply. :D

Yeah it is a good point. If I won't them out of uniform claiming they just aren't required to wear it works a lot more than saying they don't have it.

Also in the replies we learned the error I made. Which I forgot to remember that military would have a combat gear and a formal dress gear.

I was referring to more formal dress. So I was wondering if it seemed logical to have 2 members of the military in formal dress and for the dress design to be the exact same but for the color to be different signifying division. Such as medic or foot soldier. Does that seem logical to you?

Also random. I opened this in response to getting art made. The artist actually has a sketch already just not colored. Would you like to see? No pressure just figured I would ask. :D

11. novemberjuliet

novemberjuliet Member

Again, I don't have much background on your universe so a lot of this is really up to the way you want it to but to answer the color question, generally uniforms or the same design would be the same color. For example, If I'm in the 1st Infantry Division but I'm a medic, my uniform would be the same color as a supply sergeant's or an infantrymen's. The difference would be if I had some sort of symbol or tab on my uniform signifying what I do. I'm not sure if you mean 'division' as in a military group or not, so that may or may not make since.
    And sure, I can take a look if you want. No worries lol

12. GuardianWynn

Fair enough. I suppose my world can write rules. I just curious how the real world works.

So in your case that applies to formal dress too?

Maybe another way of asking would be this. If you saw a movie and people were in there formal military uniforms and you noticed that different people had different color jackets. Then learned this was a way of signaling if someone was a medic or a solider or pilot ext. Would you find that strange?

http://sta.sh/0259l0vgebnd
    So what do you think :D

13. novemberjuliet

novemberjuliet Member

It would definitely be strange, but then again uniformity is drilled into us so much we constantly pick apart uniform inconsistencies on film/television lol. For practicality, it would waste a lot of resources to have a differnet color for each specialty. Some units or specialties have colored headegear, like paratroopers have scarlet berets and special forces have green berets, but a whole uniform of even a jacket wouldn't make to much sense for us.
    I like it. Nothing to complicated or confusing. I'd get on her about those wrinkles though lol

14. GuardianWynn

lol. So you are saying some already do have alternate colors? Just not a jacket?

Hey she is in mid run isn't she? The wrinkles are from running! :D lol

Thank you for the advice.

15. novemberjuliet

novemberjuliet Member

Nothing more significant that a piece of headwear, or maybe aband or cord worn on the jacket. And no problem :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  16. rja2015

rja2015 New Member

I agree with Lea Brooks. You don't need to focus on what your characters' uniform is going to look like, unless your making a picture book. Readers don't care much about details as trivial as uniform design.

17. GuardianWynn

It is funny though. Designing armor of one character for example, helped me develop them better. Which changed plot points and overall changed them to a character that died to one that lived. Because I realized that there armor was very sound and as such they were sound and as such would have survived the fight that originally killed him. :D

So it in a few cases has helped me create the story. Kind of neat isn't it?