1. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Mind control induced drug use - possible reactions?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ettina, Apr 7, 2017.

OK, so in my story, the MCs are trying to get a group of minstrels (pseudo-medieval setting) addicted to drugs when they've never used drugs before. The one character, Tikal, is a body-hopping parasitic creature. When it possesses someone, they are completely under it's control. They are vaguely aware of what's happening, but they think everything that they are doing is their own free choice, and will distort some of the specifics (especially what people said) to make sense of their actions.
    Anyway, the night before, Tikal and the MC got the minstrels to do drugs for the first time after a performance. MC handed out the drugs and Tikal took them, and then switched bodies, until everyone was high. Now, these minstrels are not drug users normally, for a variety of reasons. So this behavior is out of character for pretty much all of them, but the way the mind control works, they think they chose to do this.
    I'd like a bunch of varied reactions the morning after, but these characters have just been introduced and don't have much characterization yet, so I don't really know how they'd all feel about this. So I'd like you guys to suggest a bunch of different reactions for these characters to have to this situation.

2. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Member

As someone who has voluntarily taken drugs, here's a few reactions.

Spiritual. It's very possible (Depending on the drug you're using here,) That one of the minstrels could be feeling pretty damn spiritual. Closer to God or something like it. This one would probably do it again of his own free will.

Scared. This one might have had a bad trip, which can happen. Drugs can open up some pretty deep psychological wounds, especially with repeated use.

Ashamed. 'Why would I do this, my mother would be horrified!' you could probably call this self loathing.

Intrigued. 'Well that was odd of me, definitely up for another go, though.'

Angry. At himself or others in the group for suggesting the idea.

How many minstrels do you have?

Imaginarily and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. Joe King

Joe King Member

You could possibly have one of the characters feeling the effects longer than everyone? Most characters buzz has faded but one is still there giggling at everything or going crazy. Maybe one of them has the time of their life and it becomes an addiction?

5. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for!

I have twenty minstrels.

6. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Member

Oh damn it's a party!

You're very welcome haha.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

horny is another option - girls and guys get get hot on speedy stuff like amphetamine or coke ... although if they take too much the ability to consumate might be an option - not to mention the "I love you dude" effect of E ...bunchof minstrels having an orgy couldbe just what it tjkes to sell your book :D

Apollypopping likes this.
  8. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Maybe Tikal started with one target, let the minstrel recover from the high and find himself regretting having acted so impulsively, then Tikal possesses a few more people over the course of the next couple of days, and they all think that they were wondering what the big deal was that convinced the first person to try it?

If the MCs play their cards right, Tikal might not even need to possess the entire troupe to get them all started :twisted:

Imaginarily likes this.
  9. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Some more info about the drug might be helpful. What are the effects of the drug? Happiness? Numbness? Hallucinations? I think people would have very different reactions to each. Is it actually dangerous? Pot can't kill you no matter how much you take, heroin can kill you quite easily. If someone dosed me with pot, I'd probably be annoyed, but I'd ride it out and be fine with it, if someone dosed me with heroin, I'd probably be very very angry.