1. ven lanyon

ven lanyon New Member

Miniminus picture book publishers - is anyone familiar with them?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by ven lanyon, Aug 22, 2017.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm trying to finally find time to read through the great info posted here. It looks like a very supportive and friendly community and I'm glad to be part of it!

Recently, there was a LinkedIn job posting for a "Freelance children's story writer" at a Montreal, Canada, based online publisher. I can't find any information about the publisher though! It's called Miniminus and is found at miniminus.com. The owner is Yuri Kruk. Here is the job description.

It sounds as if it might belong in the too good to be true category, and the website doesn't work very well.
    -----------------------
    Job description
    We’re looking for bold, original and innovative stories for children (ages 3 to 8). If you are highly creative, know how to write for children and well-versed in content development, we're looking for you.
    Everyone from aspiring writers to established authors can submit a story. If a story is approved, it will be published and the author will be paid.
    --------------------------

Thanks!

2. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

Welcome!

It doesn't sound to different to regular small press publishing, just based off the job posting. Submit, get approved, get published is pretty run of the mill.
    That said, it's a little weird to be posting on LinkedIn, and when you combine that with the total dearth of details (even basic stuff like rates and what rights they take) makes me think they're up to something.

Worth sending them an email or something, I suppose, but I'm sceptical.

3. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

I don't think anyone can be familiar with miniminus since the company hasn't launched yet.

4. ven lanyon

ven lanyon New Member

Thanks!

Yes @NiallRoach, I'm skeptical too.

@surrealscenes I was hoping that there might be some pre-launch feedback about Miniminus - on LinkedIn there were already 70+ people who had applied.

I think I'll give it a miss for now.

5. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

That is what I would say.

From their site, and don't sit well with me.
    "We’re Miniminus. We’re a startup. We’re a new publishing company of children’s pictures stories, 100% digital, 100% original and 100% fair."
    For me, 'fair' is not a word that should be used by adults.

"Discover contemporary illustrated stories for children from the best authors in the world."
    Oh really.

"Read new original and high quality content, distributed through our app each week, in six languages."
    Oh, so not really a publisher, but more of a subscription seller.

6. LRDB

LRDB New Member

Not sure how it all works, either, or how it will all turn out when they've launched... all I know is, I've translated 9 stories for them already and been paid a reasonable fee. As in, the EFT went through. The stories were delightful. Yuri was very courteous and professional to deal with (by email: we've never met, as I live on the West Coast.) And the gig was recommended by a friend. And that's pretty much all I know!

7. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Welcome, ven! The market for picture books is really tough, but not impossible to break into.

This company isn't good news, though.

100% digital picture books?

They're doomed to failure. Children don't read eBooks. Parents don't read eBooks to their children. Sales for digital picture books, chapter books, and even MG books are dismal.

Don't be swayed by seeing that 70+ people have already applied: it says nothing about the quality or legitimacy of this "publisher." Vanity presses get more submissions than that, daily.

8. ven lanyon

ven lanyon New Member

Hi everyone - sometime later, and here I am again! I didn't end up pursuing the minimus job. Life continued to get in the way. But thanks for your replies!

9. ven lanyon

ven lanyon New Member

wondering if you have more to add a few months in, @LRDB?

10. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

Is that LRDB's one and only post by chance?

11. ven lanyon

ven lanyon New Member

it would appear so. Profile link indicates that they joined, posted to this thread the same day, and haven't been heard from since. I've long since left behind the Minimus idea, thanks to the other replies on this thread!

Cave Troll likes this.