Bug Report Minor bug reports

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Komposten, Mar 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BruceA

BruceA Active Member

This is firefox (Chrome is similar) it gets to inputting password and says not recognised. If you try to say forgotten password it claims you don't have paypal account with that email address
    Screenshot_2016-05-30-13-31-16.jpg

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I'm on Chrome.

3. Catrin Lewis

I'm happy to try that--- if I knew where to find the Tools (cog) icon. Can't locate it, even when I refresh and get the blue banner temporarily to lift. Is it somewhere out to the side?

4. Catrin Lewis

I just checked on my regular desktop PC and the site presents me with the same problem with the top blue banner there. And I still can't find the Tools icon.

That said, I see that the navigation strip (Home> Forums>Site Information>Support & Feedback) is repeated at the bottom of the page, so I can make do with that until this bug is driven out and squashed. But given that I generally use my lappy, and that scrolling on it is rather slow, that's only a temporary workaround for me.

5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I believe the tools icon referred to in the old thread (and in Ginger's post) is Internet Explorer's settings menu button, and not a part of the forum.
    Sometimes clearing your browser's cache can solver problems like these. In Chrome youcan do this by going to Settings -> History -> Clear browsing data. Check 'Cached images and files' (and possible cookies) and ensure the dropdown at the top is set to "the beginning of time". Then hit "Clear browsing data".

If you want to upload an image (which would help immensely), the easiest way is to press "Upload a File" (next to the "Post Reply" button), followed by pressing the "Full image" button next to the image preview after it has been uploaded. This should insert the image into your post.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Not sure either but I found the cog icon on the Google page (rather than on my screen page)

Go to the Google Chrome page and you'll see the cog. I'll keep playing with it, but I haven't found advanced settings yet.

Hmm, you may need to add an ap though it is free:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cog-system-info-viewer/difcjdggkffcfgcfconafogflmmaadco?hl=en

Not sure that's it though. I'd try dumping cookies first and/or wait until someone more knowledgeable posts in the thread.

7. Komposten

As I mentioned in my previous post, those "cog" instructions refer to Internet Explorer, not Chrome:
    Screenshot 2016-05-30 21.55.43.png

Everything fits (cog -> Internet Options -> Advanced) except I can't find the last step ("Automatically recover [...]").

8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I just tried making the donation again ...but nope. Still the same problem as before. I use Firefox on a Mac.

9. Komposten

I just sent a message to Daniel to ask him to look at it.

10. jannert

I notice there have been no donations since No-Name Slob's, which tells me the problem exists for more or less everybody. Oh, dear.

11. Komposten

And it's fixed! :)

12. jannert

Yay. Just made the donation.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  13. jannert

Does anybody know what this is all about? It's popping up all over the place on my computer, and now it's appeared on the Forum as well. I've heard that updating this plugin (I'm on a Mac running Mountain Lion) is dangerous to do. I've also heard the opposite ...that it's dangerous not to. And there seems to be some issue between Apple and Adobe, which complicates the thing.

Anybody else dealing with this?

block.png

14. Komposten

Flash Player is generally loosing support all over the internet. I know, e.g., that Chrome has disabled Flash on all websites except the 10 biggest flash users (e.g. YouTube and Facebook) in one of the latest updates. The reason for this is because of security. I believe the only secure thing to do nowadays is to uninstall Flash completely (afaik this shouldn't really affect websites that use it too much, since most, like YouTube, have a fully working HTML5 implementation).

When it comes to WF.org I think we might be using Flash for the "Upload a File" button, since at some point I could actually block that button using AdBlock+.

From that error message it sounds like Firefox has decided that your Flash version is too old to be used safely, and therefore it automatically disables it as a precaution. I assume that updating flash should make that banner go away.

ETA: I tried to disable Flash and the forum still seems to work just like before. The "Upload a File" button also works perfectly. So uninstalling Flash (which is the safest option) doesn't affect our page.

jannert likes this.
  15. jannert

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll let this ride for a bit longer and see what happens. I didn't have any trouble uploading the picture above, so that seems unaffected. In fact, this little thing is affecting other sites that I use more than this one.

I'm hoping that when the next MacFormat magazine comes out, there'll be some guidance. I know Mac has more or less dumped Adobe, so that might also factor in. Unless I start having real trouble accessing stuff I need, I'll probably let it go for now.

I expect to be upgrading to El Capitan before the end of June anyway, and plan to take my Mini to the Apple Genius Bar in Glasgow to get it done for me (for the first time ever—I've been doing my own system upgrades since the middle 90s, but it's now so involved and unguided a process that I just give up.) The Geniuses will probably know what's what, regarding this Adobe thing.:)

One interesting thing I noticed, though. Ever since this warning came up, I no longer see the ink/feather pic in the forum logo. It's just plain blue now.

Komposten likes this.
  16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It may well be the OS you're running, Jan. I'm on El Capitan and it looks normal for me through Chrome. The fact that the wording has moved to the center is something completely unrelated (in case anyone was wondering). That's just Daniel playing around. We've been discussing it. ;)

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.13.17 AM.png

17. jannert

Well, if it's my system at fault, that's about to change within the next couple of weeks. It's just that when I checked what systems this new upgrade was compatible with, it's apparently compatible with OS10.6. I've got OS10.8.5 ...so I don't know if that's it. However, my husband who has been running El Capitan for several weeks says he's not got this warning at all. So ...? At the same time, I only get the warning when I go to certain sites. So we'll see. It's not fatal at the moment. I just can't see that nice cursive writing background on the logo. :( I'll live.

18. Komposten

It does seem like the background disappears when the browser window's width is reduced enough (I resized it, and when it was narrow enough the image disappeared for me too). Maybe this is a bug that appeared when @Daniel changed something, and your browser window is narrow enough for the bug to happen?

Edit: This is apparently not a bug. Just found that the website's code specifies the following:
    Code:
    @media (max-width: 1150px)
    #header {
        background: #176093;
        background-image: none;
    }
    This means that if the width of the page is less than 1150 pixels the header's background image is replaced with a blue colour ("#176093").

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    jannert likes this.
  19. jannert

Thanks for the explanation. I still use a Formac Oxygen monitor, which is not widescreen, so that makes perfect sense. No biggie. (Literally :) )

Komposten likes this.
  20. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

No functionality that I can think of would use flash.

I mad some adjustments to the logo/header yesterday that would explain the blue background instead of the header background. This was actually already the case for smaller screens, I believe 1000 px.

Anyone know how common less than 1150px browser window width would be? I'd prefer to have the header show except for the smallest screen sizes (mobile) but it's difficult without making the logo smaller, because it adds a gap between the header and menu.

btw, also fixed a bug I believe was reported where the logo was pushed down and the menu over overlapped the top forums at certain screen sizes. There was a hidden div. :mad:

GingerCoffee likes this.
  21. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Don't know about anything else but when I go to 125% or smaller screen size I get the patterned blue and anything larger I get the solid blue.

I keep Adobe Flash disabled and it used to make some videos not work but lately I rarely get the warning that I need to install adobe flash. I do get the notice to update flash every week or so. I just say no.

22. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I don't know if it's a bug or a feature, but now the Debate Room is gone completely.

23. Komposten

We concluded that it didn't make sense that Members could see the DR but not post in it, so we hid it for them.

24. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Can you clarify this?

25. Komposten

Only members in the Active Member usergroup and above can see and reply to the DR. Earlier members in the Member usergroup (i.e. members with at least 20 posts and 14 days of registration) could see the DR, but not reply to it.