1. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Bluemouth, Jan 11, 2007.

We all know the movie (a personal favourite of mine) but what did you think of the book?

I thought it was poorly written in some areas, but certainly the last 100 pages or so were very entertaining. It was interesting to see how the movie cut many of the main characters completely. For example, I think Henry Wu had only one line in the movie, while Ed Regis was cut completely, and even Donald Gennaro featured only briefly.

And while we're on the book what did everyone think of the movie?

2. Wader Go

Wader Go New Member

I found the book to be entertaining. Not exceptionally well written (certainly not deserved of the high praise it received) but a good read regardless.

To be perfectly honest, I think it was one of the rare cases where the movie was better than the book. I loved the movie.

Still, Michael Crichton does good work, and is well respected for a reason, so I'm not going to fault him.

3. Kincaid

Kincaid New Member

I have to disagree. I read the book before even seeing the movie. Loved the book. The movie didn’t do it justice.

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'm afraid I got bogged down in the science section early on and never finished it. I would wager however than the final 100 pages would be better and more enjoyable.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I read the book so many years ago and still have it on the shelf. I enjoyed the book, but I cannot recall many specifics as far as quality of writing. There were differences, such as the big game hunter surviving...and more characters, but that is to be expected.

The movie followed somewhat closely...as far as movies and novels based upon them go. In general, for most movies (lengthwise), they can only "accurately" cover a Novella length work.

Terry

6. Falcatarius

Falcatarius New Member

I agree that Jurassic Park is somewhat overrated, especially considering it was one of Crichton's earlier works and the writing isn't as strong as his later books.

However, the movie was wonderful and I think that nowadays Crichton is one of the better writers active right now.

Interestingly enough, the exact opposite happened to a more recent book of his, "Timeline".

Amazing book (one of my favourites) but a wretched, wretched movie.

Cheers
    -Falcatarius

7. Orion

Orion New Member

I've never seen the entire movie. But I liked Jurassic Park. Its a good book.

8. krosangnomelord

krosangnomelord New Member

Michael Crichton is a very good author. This book was one of his firsts and it was amazing. He is definately great with genetic science and engineering-involved stories.

I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this book, and the issues broached upon were very well explained and the philosophy presented by Malcom was brilliant.

Needless to say, there is no fanatacism about this post :p

9. TheArtfulWeber

TheArtfulWeber New Member

I thought the book was a fairly easy read and well worth the time. The most important thing that this book accomplished was what Malcom preached. Just because Science can do something does not mean it should in some cases.

10. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

I was, personally, addicted the first and second book. :) I used to have a phobia of dinosaurs, but both books gave me chills and made me, honestly, a better writer. I personally, however, liked the first one more than the second, even though Ian was my favorite character. As for the movies, I love the vision and how close they are to the book, though there are some differences that can be pointed out.

The only thing that really got me was how in both books, kids seem to save the day with the computer technology.

11. wildflower

wildflower New Member

The only thing I didn't like about the books were the diagrams; the information they contained could easily have been expressed in a few words. They were pointless for me. I thought the book was enjoyable though.

The second one was really good in places - I'd even say I enjoyed it more as far as Dino action was concerned. But the only reason I read it was because Ian Malcolm was my favorite character (both book and movies) and he was "under-written" - don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read them.

Loved the dinos that were like chameleons - they just weren't used enough