1. Coolman

Coolman Member

Mixing Two-Fisted Pulp with Sherlock Holmes style-mysteries.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Coolman, Nov 4, 2017.

I thought up a story idea set in a world that is a mix of 30s style pulp and Conan Doyle-style mysteries. The story is in the point of view of a Tailor who unintentionally thrusts himself in the inner turmoil of a detective agency and a criminal mastermind named Zeus. The story would have the tailor become a unwilling member of the agency, which is called KNIGHT and take on the schemes of the criminal organization called, Pantheon. Theis story would be a introduction to a possible series of stories about the tailor interfering in schemes orchestrated by Zeus, often through one of his henchmen, or a other "god" of the Pantheon.

I want advice on how to mix pulp with Sherlock Holmes-style mystery. Also, i would like help developing both KNIGHT and Pantheon.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  2. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't really know anything about pulp, but I think it depends on the direction you want your story to take and how much of each element you'd like to be present.

3. Coolman

Coolman Member

Well, the Holmes element comes in when the Tailor actually investigates the crimes, which vary from theft all the way to the sabotage of a world-class ocean liner. The Pulp element comes in when minions of the Pantheon organization try to stop the Tailor from actually solving the crime by erasing evidence and actually trying to kill him. This usually results in either a fight scene or a chase scene.

Also, here is the genere i am trying to emulate. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TwoFistedTales

4. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

Okay, so is it the pulp element that's really in the driver's seat, then, determining the setting, the characters and their mannerisms, and the tone of the story? Or, at least, determining most of those things? And the Holmes element comes through only in the mysteries and the way they're solved? Or do I have the wrong end of the stick? (I think explaining it to me might help you realise how to mix these two things.)

5. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

I hope by, "pulp" you actually meant Detective Noir (or) Hardboiled?

6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Sherlock Holmes and Philip Marlow are pretty similar characters. Holmes smokes a pipe and does cocaine, Marlow smokes cigarettes and drinks whiskey. I would say that instead of trying to mixing them up, you should look at them as one being an extension of the other. Just one has more gunfights and leggy dames.

7. Coolman

Coolman Member

The type of pulp I am going for is kind of a mix of Noir and a bit of Action Pulp like The Shadow. Most of the stories will play out as Noir mysteries as the main character struggles to solve the mystery while being bogged down by KNIGHT'S bureaucratic system, uncooperative law enforcement, minions of Pantheon and perhaps, the effects of mercury due to the fact he is also a Hatter. The Shadow bit comes in when he gets into fights with Pantheon minions who try to stop him from uncovering the crime and arresting the suspects.