1. HolySpiritActivist

HolySpiritActivist New Member

Modern Re-imaginings of Classic Stories

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by HolySpiritActivist, Nov 29, 2015.

Hello! Greetings from Sweden.

I've been working on some non-fiction Christian books during the last two years, but as I look ahead I would love to write a novel. I'd like to construct a modern Robin Hood story, set in a corrupt dictatorship in southern Africa with a female protagonist who is committed to nonviolence and economic redistribution on Christian grounds. I think it would provide a good platform to discuss moral dilemmas as well as the moral ambiguity of rebellion and religious fundamentalism.

Now, what I am currently wrestling with is to what degree I should use the original names, with some twists, in such a story. That is, should the town of Nottingham become Notongo and Friar Tuck become pastor Tuck? Or should I come up with something new and let the Robin Hood influences remain vague and a bit hidden until one gets into the book?

I've figured that the benefits of being open with that the story is a modern re-imagining of a classic tale is that it probably will reach a wider audience, since I'm no recognized author in the field of fiction. At the same time, incorporating names and themes to another time and culture is difficult even if they are somewhat adapted, since it will probably sound weird when one is used to the original. Changing names and revealing my homage mid-novel can be an interesting twist for those who read the book, while I guess that there's also the risk that people get disappointed that the author rips off Robin Hood (which of course was the point the whole time).

Be blessed!

Micael

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Miceal. :)

First, the requisites: Please be sure to read the Forum Rules and the New Member Quick Start to get a feel for how things run 'round these parts. :)

Now, another thing that I think would be important, as regards setting your proposed story in southern Africa, is to make the reimagining of Robin Hood culturally relevant to where she lives. Perhaps you've gone on mission to that part of the world and have a feel for it, but if not, something to think about. ;)

Wrey

3. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Neil Gaiman does a lot of that in his short stories. Using the basic points while giving the classic a different spin or prospective.

4. HolySpiritActivist

HolySpiritActivist New Member

Thank you very much :) Yeah, i've been in SA and plan to at least research Zimbabwe a lot, since I think that country matches medieval England to a large extent. I also have several Mozambican friends that I can interview or possibly, God willing, visit.

I hadn't heard of Gaiman actually, I'll defenitely check him out!

5. misteralcala

misteralcala Member

You're a Christian writer, so I'm not going to try to peddle you my idea of re-imagining Snow White as a naughty minx with a midget fetish. :(