1. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

Where you are not willing to go

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Augusto, Sep 30, 2015.

I have been thinking that most likely a lot of you have certain self imposed limits. I mean characters, situations, places or anything you are not willing to put in any of your books, at least at this point.

Maybe it's an explicit sexual scene, perhaps a blasphemy against your particular religion (if you're a believer and participate in any given religion) or it may be something like child abuse or... yourself? Maybe you would never write an autobiography...?

Anyway, where are you NOT willing to go?

2. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

I refuse to let my characters get disfigured...

One time in an RP my partner wanted to take my vampire's fang as a trophy. Hell no. :wtf:

3. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have problems NOT to get my characters disfigured. Right now I have eye-lost in my two first novels and I say to myself: "You know you cannot do this anymore, like EVER, right?" Riiiiiight...!

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Hard limits (in writing and not the adult fun times): No child abuse (bit personal), or really harming a pregnant being (be it a person or extraterrestrial). Though I have slightly broken the second in my novel already in a way (the beings clutch of pollinated seeds were surgically removed by enemy scientists :D ). Other than that, and the really bad stuff you could do regarding children, pretty much everything else is on the table. Oh yeah, before I forgets anything to do with animals other than eating them, or having them as pets (cannibalism is ok though :p ). :D

5. Australis

Australis Active Member

I have a character who has tortured a baby, engaged in slavery, admitted to killing her son, stole, murdered, rejoiced in other people's hysteria, presented a mother & baby as live bait (they die), set up a torture chamber, ordered somebody to be disemboweled, and created an army of walking dead, all in one book. And she's the heroine.

But my characters won't do romance.

6. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

I had never thought about this until now. Child molestation is the only thing I can think of. A character may have been molested when they were a kid, and that's fine because it's realistic. But actually writing that scene, I don't think I could do it. At least not in explicit detail.

7. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

May I read that manuscript Australis?

GingerCoffee likes this.
  8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Magic. Dragons. Wizards. Vampires. Superheros.

On other fronts, I think I go too far.

peachalulu likes this.
  9. Selbbin

Do. Not. Ever. Read. My. Book. :)

jannert likes this.
  10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm not good at writing explicit sex. But it's not because I won't go there, it's a skill issue and I'm more embarrassed having others read a sex scene I've written.

I don't enjoy reading explicit violence but especially if it's describing torture so I don't write it either. But there is child rape and sexual slavery in my story so I allude to it with only some of the details described.

11. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I had a scene in my WIP with an autistic character. Ultimately, I removed him, because I knew I was not able to write him well.

12. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

What is your book about Selbbin? We, Romans, love controvertial readings. Anything corrupt or degrading to the human soul is welcome to the colliseum...!

13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That's mine, too. Not so much an autistic person, but trying to write anybody whose persona or culture I don't actually understand. I've shied away from several character types because of this block of mine.

14. Selbbin

A child finding hope in spite of homelessness, abuse, exploitation, poverty, misery, starvation, greed, corruption, people's innate selfishness, drug abuse, and love.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  15. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I remember what Stephen King said in On Writing. Every writer has his/her tool box. Some will have bigger tool boxes than others, but you should only use what is in your tool box.

peachalulu and jannert like this.
  16. animenagai

animenagai Member

I'm basically wiling to write anything as long the story doesn't put something horrible in a good light. I'm quite willing to write about dark topics.

Imaginarily and jannert like this.
  17. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Nope. If it needs to be in my book for some reason then I will add it in. But I'm not going to add in some random sex scene or random murder scene when I don't need it and it adds nothing to the story.

18. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I think that's it, really.

19. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

I am not willing to write crap.

That is the only thing I am not willing to do.

20. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

Interesting responses so far (from everyone, really). I feel like I want to read stuff from several members right now.

I totally agree with you, daemon. I've really tried to write something more "comercial" and I feel so bored and disgusted toward it that I simply cannot keep doing it. It feels like prostitution, and that's something I don't think I can do (even when I would certainly welcome the money).

Look, I WANT TO READ A GOOD MANUSCRIPT...! If someone here feels like his/her work is pretty good, please PM me with some details. Sell me the virtues of your work and I may read it within less than a week.

I am a good critic. If you tell me exactly the kind of review you want I will deliver it. I don't do grammar related corrections, as English is not my first language, but I can read it and offer feedback just fine.

21. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'll probably write almost anything, but I have a thing for young heroes. I am unlikely to write the death of a young character (teenage or younger) unless it's a heroic death. I really recoil against kids just being randomly blown away by bombs or random gunfire. If they choose to risk their lives to save someone else, and they die in the attempt, that's okay. But if it's just a random kid-death, I'm not likely to write it.

jannert likes this.
  22. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Pink clouds. Anything else goes.

23. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Oh, yes. I've sent my manuscript to a friend as a kind of test-the-waters beta reader but I had to remove all the sex scenes first and replace them with "AND THEN THEY HAVE SEX" because I had a hot flush (and not a lustful one) just thinking about her reading them. It seems so personal, like she'll read it and go "THAT'S what she thinks good sex is? Oh dear."

24. Australis

Australis Active Member

It's currently getting a final edit done to it before publication.

So, no toilet scenes.

daemon likes this.
  25. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

Nice to know...! Congratulations...!!! :)