1. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Active Member

Modern Roman Empire

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by TyrannusRex, Nov 9, 2017.

(NOTE: Yes, I have seen this video. More than enough times, in fact. )
    Suspend your disbelief for a moment and picture that, somehow, in some form or another, the Roman Empire has survived until 2017, with most if not all of its territory intact and Latin as the predominant language.
    I'm just interested to see what kind of things you all can come up with-- it can be thoughts regarding culture, regarding history, I don't really care, I just kind of need a creative jumpstart. :-D
    Discuss.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

There was also a Star Trek episode like that.

4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I think this would've been beautiful.

With a living Roman Empire, Mussolini would never have wanted to resurrect the Roman Empire.

Without Mussolini, Hitler would never have had a specific ideological inspiration to collect his nonsensical ramblings behind :)

TyrannusRex likes this.
  5. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Active Member

Holy crap...:supershock:

6. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I️ don’t know. Hitler came to power legally through popularism and military conquest. Sounds a lot like Caesar.

Not to mention, we take Hitler as a villain in the fairly limited context of modern times. I’d argue that Caligula was far far more depraved than Hitler.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

yeah but Caligula was mad - probably as a result of lead in the water (and inbreeding)

8. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

As I recall, several historians of the time note that Caligula fell ill with a bad fever not too long after becoming Emperor, and came quite close to death. Since his reign up to that point was very different from what followed, brain damage from his illness is possible.

If we extend Rome to the present day, history changes incalculably. If Rome manages to hold the eastern provinces against Islamic expansion (whereas the Arabs caught the Byzantines just coming off a taxing war with the Sassanids), you'd have a Near East and North Africa that are predominantly Christian. Ethnicities (lots more Greeks and Armenians), languages, and even place names (Anatolia Pontus, Cilicia, Ionia, instead of just 'Turkey') would be different. Likewise, Rome lasting to the present day would have prevented the rise of any of Europe's imperial powers. The history of the Americas, Africa, large chunks of Asia, and Australia could be similar (just colonized by Rome instead) or vastly different (never colonized at all, or colonized by non-European powers).

TyrannusRex likes this.
  9. big soft moose

In romantisa they've got america colonised half by rome and half by china and divided by 'great wall' kind of structure