1. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

Monkey King's Descendant

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DarkPen14, Jul 25, 2019.

I'm sure most of you have at least heard of Sun Wukong. Sevenfold immortal monkey demon and trickster God with the power to rip heaven and earth apart, eventually becoming the Fighting Buddha.

Well, I've got his twelfth-generation granddaughter. She picked up the staff, and is therefore Sun's heir, similar to Excalibur picking the next king of Arthurian legend. She is renamed in Sun's image, and trained in most of his techniques, but what's bugging me is I don't know how she'd handle the modern era. See, her species lives secluded on their mountain, protected from the outside world with a combination of magic and martial skill to beat the crap out of invaders, and is very sheltered.

So, how do you think a superpowered immortal with no previous exposure to human culture handle this era?

2. RobinLC

RobinLC Active Member

Perhaps the same way an autistic child would handle a situation where they are overstimulated?

3. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Where exactly does she end up? A crowded city, or a small rural town? The suburbs maybe? It's hard to say because there's not just one "human culture," so her reactions would depend on the kind of society she entered and how it's different from what she knows.

Does she have anyone with her to guide or help her? How much of this journey is she taking all alone? Does she know anyone in this modern world who can help her adjust?

It's hard to give an exact answer without knowing much about this setting, but I'd suggest just listing down the differences between the society she knows and the society she's suddenly thrust into, and work from there.

4. talltale

talltale Member

She'll need a guide. Someone who is from the culture to help her assimilate as she handles the "fish out water" environment. Maybe she saves this person, and in return, the person helps guide the main character towards her goal ( Wonder Woman movie for example).

5. AndieBoDandy

AndieBoDandy Active Member

Wow! You could have so much fun with this. I'd suggest Dry wit and sharp tongue. The idea of a clueless human guide would work. Especially if they're all bravado and thinking her naivety equates her needing protecting. She might initially view technology as magical, but with a high learning curve. Having come from a village that is inclusive and where all members and important to survival, she may point out all the neglect she sees... homeless people etc. I think she could be a viewpoint as perhaps how the would should be. As always, just my thoughts. Hope you'll post something. I'm definitely curious to see what you do with it.

DarkPen14 likes this.