Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

staff members

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by erebh, Oct 5, 2013.

What does it take to become a non-mod staff member?

Who's palm must be greased?

What is the 'job' of a non-mod staffer?

Should staff member's be expected to contribute positively to the actual writing elements to this site or is being a non-mod staffer a licence to hog the fireplace in the lounge generally whipping-up a bad atmosphere?

I ask this in all sincerity with no one particular in mind.

edited to emphasise non-mod staffers

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    jazzabel and JJ_Maxx like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm just running the short story contest and I needed extra editing privileges. That's all I can do is a little extra editing in that one sub-forum. I don't care if people put me on ignore. Why don't you just send Daniel or one of the mods a PM about your issue?

3. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Well, Ginger is listed as the only "non-mod staffer" so...

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I didn't go through the member directory to look for possible non-mod staffers so...

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This is pretty offensive, erebh. None of us greased any palms to get our positions. And being a staffer is not a "licence to hog the fireplace" anywhere, or to whip up a bad atmosphere. To be honest, being a mod here is a fair amount of work and it takes a fair amount of time. And it's not a paid position. Usually we let negative comments about our performance roll off our backs - they come with the job. But accusing us publicly of greasing palms and whipping up a bad atmosphere is pushing things.

Lemex likes this.
  7. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Ereb. Just a few hours ago in another forum you wanted to ignore a particular member, and it turned out you couldn't because she was a staff member. This is all public knowledge.

How stupid do you think people are?

8. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

...and yet the member who runs the poetry contest is just a regular member.

erebh likes this.
  9. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

did I say I wanted to ignore a certain member or did I simply ask where's the ignore button?

I suggest you go back and re-read...

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

And I think he should be a staff member too. Not sure why that hasn't happened yet.

11. 123456789

There is only one participant in that thread who is a non-mod staff member. Come on, man. There's no way you can actually think that people won't get it.

12. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I miss the wolf. He was the last bastion of respectful neutrality left... @Lemex

Lemex likes this.
  13. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I didn't mention a non staffer in that thread - how many times do you need to read it :)

14. 123456789

You mentioned a non staffer in this thread, after a non staffer in that thread got you mad.

In another thread, you posted an extremely interesting article (kudos for that) followed by one reply from a person who just so happens to be a non mod staf member. Then, immediately following that, you ask about ignore button. Then, a few posts later, someone says you can't ignore a staff member. Then, a few hours later, you start a thread complaining about non mod staff members.

There's always a possibility I'm wrong but you need to help me see it :\

15. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

123 - you do realise that all your supposition is doing is starting a finger-pointing game and drawing attention to a possibly innocent and well-liked person, don't you?

16. 123456789

I didn't know I was innocent or well-liked, but thank you :O

17. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

du rien

18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Can everyone please settle down in here? I mean, there are political threads where people discuss a specific issue, and then there's this thread, which has quickly deteriorated into a venue for people to denounce each other. Let's not be that kind of forum, okay? There are plenty of places online where people can hurl shit at each other; I don't want this to be one of them.

19. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

[I wouldn't have seen this if JJ hadn't tagged me - cheers buddy]

Oh god is this the truth - I think something like this should be posted along with each infraction. Or are they now called 'warnings'? I've not spent a lot of time around here lately.

If anyone is specifically concerned about GingerCoffee being a non-mod staff member, I am the reason for this. I specifically asked for it.

I needed someone to handle the short story contest as I was stepping down. I had been planning on stepping down for months so I could focus on my teacher training. I took all necessary actions to make the transition between my handling of the contest and the next handler as easy and painless as possible. Ginger was asked, happily she accepted. Ginger has had a huge task, and I know how much pressure she must have been under in those first few weeks, but she is handling it well - I dare say, much better than I did.

If the runner of the poetry contest could also have been made a staff member then I'd fully support that - I specifically asked for Ginger to have mod powers over a specific area of the forum, and the staff status has obviously been deemed necessary. The short story contest is something the forum likes to keep, so it gets a lot of mod attention. The poetry competition is something I also asked to be restarted too; so I feel a little responsibility for that, even though I never handled the thing directly. I guess my lack of thought (as understandable as it might be) is the reason why the master of the poetry contest does not also have 'Staff' status, so that is my fault.

20. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I agree with erebh. Staff shouldn't behave in such a way that a good proportion of the community wishes they could ignore them.

Bring the ignore button back for non-moderating staff, PLEASE. Because this forum is becoming unbearable, with one person's voice shouting from every corner, all the time, on issues that have absolutely nothing to do with forum business, and there's no way to ignore them.

Tara, erebh and Trish like this.
  21. Lemex

I'm not sure why you'd want to. Maybe I haven't been around enough lately, but I don't have anyone on my 'Ignore' list. If I can't be bothered to read a post I don't. If someone offends me personally I don't take it to heart. No one forces me to read anything. I'm mature enough to accept the fact that someone I don't know might not like me, but they still might have something interesting to say.

minstrel and Thomas Kitchen like this.
  22. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

While I agree that @erebh may have phrased things a little... aggressively... I agree with him. This particular 'staff' member is becoming an issue. When someone asks her - repeatedly - to leave them alone and move on with herself - and she continues to publicly goad them, you'd have to be blind to see there's not a problem. And also - she decides to follow them. Really? I mean I get the 'keep your enemies closer' thing, but it's borderline cyber-stalking.

And @Lemex you know that I respect you and value your opinion, but I really think you made a mistake here (and yes, I'm aware that's my opinion, but you'll notice I'm not the only one voicing it). And I don't think she's handling it well at all, honestly. I think it's gone to her head. And I'm not trying to be disrespectful or rude to anyone, I'm just stating how I see it - in the open - because I don't feel the need to be sneaky about it.

erebh and jazzabel like this.
  23. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I don't have anyone on mine either... but I would like to make an exception. It's not about not wanting to hear other opinions, Lemex. It's about the constant antagonizing.

jazzabel likes this.
  24. Lemex

If that's how you feel then fine. There isn't anything I can do about it now anyway, and I stepped down so that I didn't have to. My current position as a trainee teacher is a lot of work, so that's hopefully understandable.

If that's the case then that's the case. I've intentionally not been around here a lot. So I don't know what's been going on. I'd personally go to the mods, or Daniel if you have any issues of this sort.

25. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I respect that you don't have anyone on your ignore list, but I find my ignore list invaluable. I am still recovering from some pretty major health problems and can get upset easily, which triggers of my asthma, so when I identify someone who is disrespectful, loud, brash, won't shut up, someone who isn't beneath slagging people off behind their backs continuously, holding grudges and persecuting others who disagree with their personal opinions in such a away as to employ gossip emails, harassing through private messages, spamming threads with more posts than anyone else on the forum, sly jabs, continuing ridicule etcetera - I put them on ignore and avoid arguing with them in the future. The problem is when such a member can't be ignored.

I am surprised that you don't see that form of behaviour unworthy of a staff member (although you might not be spending a lot of time here recently) especially since some people go wild once they are given the slightest power, so it's not an unusual phenomenon.

Bottom line, with privileges not to be ignored, comes a responsibility of behaving in a mature and benevolent manner. If a staff member proves themselves unable of conduct which is beneficial to the forum community, and instead displays destructive behaviour, they should be either removed from their function or some provision should be made so members can ignore them. If not, members will leave, and if that's the way this forum is going, I'd like to know sooner rather than later because I genuinely like this community, I try to contribute with what knowledge I have, but what is happening recently with one non-mod staff member is becoming really tiresome.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    Tara, erebh and Trish like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.