Most Difficult Part of Creating a World

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by jeffbarker, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Cole, I strongly suggest you rename your faction "Liikamroon" - because at first glance, I thought it was called "Like a Moron"

And on closer inspection, I saw that it was "Liik-ka-mroon" - which just reminded me of macaroons.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

To be honest I don't find worldbuilding difficult but a hijacked and tweeked an existing language (probably find out I am swearing in Chinese or something) and my characters are called things like Angus and Jack.

The stories I write designed my races and magic system.

3. Erato

Erato New Member

I find the politics and class structure of a fantasy world very difficult to imagine. Secondarily the flora/fauna. Thirdly the technology. Parts I really enjoy include language, dress, and social customs (as in, women may not run businesses but they may run footraces; men may carry swords if they wish but not inside a domestic dwelling; wood is precious and a status symbol.) I like creating fantasy worlds, myself. And also I tried to write a story once about a planet in a binary system with two moons, and neglected to take into account the complicated seasons and tides that must follow.

4. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

The landscape. For the life of me, if I have a new/different world, I cannot make a decent map area. Or name cities. Eventually, I'm going to have to figure out something past Nation A and Nation B, etc.

5. Member 36723

Member 36723 Guest

The power creep. Make sure everything is balanced and makes sense. Also, make sure you always leave room for more.

6. Cando

Cando New Member

I had to laugh when I saw posts about the names, I've driven myself crazy trying to name both places and characters.

For one story I used streets near where I grew up as character names. Now sometimes I'll jump on Google Maps and zoom in on a random place for small town names, or cruise IMDB and look through the full credits of a random movie for names that sound interesting. It's amazing how a well placed Y or maybe an apostrophe can turn something ordinary into something fantastic too. Williams can become Wyll'm for example.

I get hung up if characters and places don't have names so that's how I break the logjam sometimes.

7. jc.

jc. Member

Politics and social relations get me. I don't even like to think about that in the real world. Getting myself to figure it out for my story is a pain.

8. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Actually that's one of the most enjoyable parts for me. :D

9. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I also had to create a world. My problem was in the distance from one region to another.

Having characters "tied up in traffic" was certain to slow down the plot, considering one region had horses and fusiliers while other oligarchies had multi-wheeled craft capable of speeds over 200 mph. (Nobody has 'flying machines.' Too cliché.)

Names are not a problem, for me at least. Oddball names distract in some way. Most people we know have common sounding names, hence my characters have names that people recognize.

10. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I am currently creating a world that is based on science fiction and reality. Finding inspiration from movies, books, and music helps alot. However the catch is piecing it together to make it original and possibly true in the future. I do not want to create another bladerunner story.

11. Erato

Erato New Member

When I write things that may be true in the future, I tend to take elements from contemporary politics and do odd things with them. What do you think would happen if the Occupy movement seized NYC?