1. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Most disturbing horror scene concepts that could be possible in the human existence

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by FireWater, Jul 21, 2017.

What's the most horrifying and disturbing fictional book scene that you've ever read, where the fear comes from a situation that could theoretically be possible if humans were in that situation?
    AND where the fear isn't just adrenaline of imagining yourself in the character's shoes, but where it's a shocking and gut-twisting horrible concept that stays with you long after the book is done?

In other words:

- Not something that's based on a true story where the horror comes from simply the fact that it happened

- Not something based on a haunted house, demon, other dimension/realm, zombies, monsters, possession, etc.
    (Unlikely is fine, and a human experience in a world with fantasy elements is fine, but please no "the horror comes from the house seeming demonic" type of stuff)

- Preferably something that digs deeper than the standard slasher/stalker cheap horror fare. Yes, being pursued by a serial killer would be terrifying in real life, but reading "The character looked out the window and saw the killer with the chainsaw" followed by a paragraph of thriller action isn't going to keep me up at night. Scenes like this are pretty much a dime a dozen.

I'm talking about the scenes that are gutturally disturbing, that genuinely put a chill in your soul when you read them, and then keep you feeling bothered by it long after the last page is turned. In the serial killer example, sure it would be scary to truly be the victim in that scenario, but generally reading the scene won't be very scary because you know it's a book and the concept of a serial killer is already something you're familiar with.
    I mean something that horrifies and stuns you with that "jolting and sickening new idea" vibe, but it comes from something that could potentially exist in the realm of the human experience (even if in a fantasy world) - not from something corny, like an animated demon raggedy ann doll that you could just drop-kick across the room.

For me, those scenes are:

1. The "mansion basement storage" scene in The Road
    2. The implied nature of Theon Greyjoy's torture in the 5th Game of Thrones book
    3. The reveal of what happened to the twin boys in the cellar in "Whispers" by Dean Koontz

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd probably go with that one or any number of McCarthy scenes involving the rape/scalping/murdering/eating of babies. There's one in Outer Dark that is particularly frightening.

Going outside the box a bit, there's an Ursula Hegi novel (Stones from the River?) about a dwarf (human) girl growing up in WWII, and there's a scene where she's picked up by Nazis and one of them is patiently explaining to her why her dwarfism makes her subhuman and unworthy of life. I can't remember all the details but I remember breaking into a cold sweat when I read that 10-15 years ago.

ETA: Oh, and the scene in 1984 when Winston gets the rat cage wired around his head... that was freaky as hell.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Theres a scene in deadhead by shawn hutson where the antags are making a snuff flick and sliding a dead baby through semen spattered on a womans body which is pretty horrific (and unecessary apart from its shock value)