1. jordanmcdonald2

jordanmcdonald2 New Member

character concept for fantasy novel

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jordanmcdonald2, May 19, 2012.

hello there I was hitting a brick wall with one of my characters and needed to give him a greater purpose in the story that holds water as a genuine motivation for the main character his brother.

ok an event occurs in the past that causes the main characters brother to lose his body leaving only a physical embodiment of his soul in the form of almost a fairy, I envision of small ball of light darting around a room in my head.

this makes the main characters goal to solve the mystery of the event and restore his brothers body.

I am unsure if this is a good idea and whether to have him in this form able to communicate by spoken word, only to his brother brain or via actions.

a mechanic that this could lead to is the fairy assisting him in performing light magic due to his form which will be elaborated on and making a system of changing colour when enemies are nearby since he is more in tune with the world as a spiritual form.

are these good ideas and would they made an interesting slant on a character in a light fantasy setting. thanks?

2. C.B Harrington

C.B Harrington New Member

I think that's a nice idea. I would have to ask though; why does the brother do magic when his form is simply different? Does everyone else see the ball of light or just his brother?

I think a mind-linked type of communication is fine, especially since you're not making an 80's TV show and don't need the audience to see the ball of light is talking, the reader will know from your narration. I would think more about having his brother use emotion to convey thoughts, maybe he causes his brother to think of flashbacks - memories from when they were kids, in order to help him solve this mystery?

I do like the idea. :)

3. jordanmcdonald2

jordanmcdonald2 New Member

thanks a lot, you gave a very good idea as well.

keep the opinions coming please people that is crucial for me to get a feel on the concept.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ideas are neither good nor bad. It's how you turn the ideas into a character in a setting that makes a character bad or good.

You don't need peer approval. Write your character into your story and MAKE him good.