1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

motivational: Stuck? Go outside. Here's why.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rob40, Feb 12, 2016.

Empty brain. I had been home from work (I travel quite a bit) for a decent number of days for once. I had zero time for myself, but, when I had it, I was feeling some kind of mad. Not really angry but a bit pissed that this was the only time I had to do anything and I wanted to do nothing at all for once; however, knew I would regret not accomplishing something in one of my special projects. Writing or exercise.

I got on my bike. I did a short spin of 20 miles. I got an idea from my surroundings.

It was a car parked next to the road in a wide runoff area. The windows were down with a large mess of poodle-curled hair in the drivers seat. In Colorado, a car with a dog is normal. It was . . . a lady. I honestly thought it was a big labra-doodle/poodle/fluffy some kind of black dog. Nope. It was a lady on a cell phone.

cycling along, it's not uncommon to say hi to cows or horses in the fields or dogs on a walk-owners like that. But imagine if I said hi to a nice puppy dog and I was too late to recognize it as a lady instead?

"Ohhhh hello puppy! Good boy aren't ya!" as I slow roll past. Followed by a cigarette mouthed gob of cursing chasing me away, or chasing me down in her car.

Nice story start for me. all because I got outside and did something generating endorphins. A nice walk or if the weather is horrible, get out somehow. Drive to get a coffee, meet someone while doing it. Get a sense of what people are doing or thinking that day. Play a game with it. any one of them could be an undiscovered secret agent or serial killer or both. You never know.

2. BookLover

BookLover Contributing Member

It's too cold to go outside. What if I stay in and get drunk and get my endorphins that way? :p

3. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

if you drink enough, you might see some very new things!

4. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

Go to some small breweries here in Colorado! I'm not saying Coors or New Belgium, but the local places that don't sell at the liquor stores.

I write between two local breweries about once or twice a week. Every single one so far has their own Wi-Fi. It is pretty much like writing in a cafe or coffee shop, plus I can hear snippets of dialogue that provide inspiration for my own dialogue. I like frequenting them because besides good beer, it is a subdued atmosphere that is different than my own home, yet different from a coffee place. And it isn't rowdy like a normal bar.

I'd go outside here to write more, but it's been freezing lately, and then the ground all nasty from the snow melting and refreezing every night. I look forward to writing in the spring on my balcony facing the mountains.