Tags:
  1. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

Movie "Beast" 2018

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ruskaya, Nov 8, 2020.

I like this movie for a number of reasons, but especially because it shows how commonly used tropes can be reinvented with a fresh look, as we constantly ask ourselves how the same story can be retold with new insights.
    Of course movies are a different media than writing, but I like to watch movies to take note of dialogues and general storytelling. For instance, the way the dialogue unveils the manipulative attitude of Pascal (he throws an "I love you" at Moll at a critical moment) in opposition to the manipulative attitude of Moll's mother to hold a hand over Moll for what she believes to be righteous reasons (the "eat your cake" scene).

The theme of the movie is established from the start, as we don't know who the "beast" is or whether it refers to the crime of the MC Moll or to the serial killer. (Moll pulls a long "beastly" hair from her neck before her birthday party).

Moll is a rebel who rejects her family values as superficial and false, in fact they make her feel inadequate. Her family is rich and values its image. Pascal is the rebel/hero/prince who comes to rescue her. Of course, her family hates him for what he is (especially his smell--another "beastly" reference). Pascal takes Moll on a cliff to kiss her: after some climbing up and risk taking he tells her he has got her (he will take care of her and keep her safe). As the movie progresses, it becomes clear that they both are the rescuer and the rescued of each other.
    At the same time, Moll's sister is the one who everybody loves and always steal the spotlight away from Moll (Moll's sister announces she is having twins at Moll's birthday party).
    These are just a few examples of what the movie does, often also by subverting expectations (in a scene where Moll should be scared of Pascal, she is turned on instead, and their love grows).

I am keen on reading what strikes people about this movie. Hope you enjoy as much as I did! :pop:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020