1. Joat

Joat New Member

Dragon Naturally Speaking and Scrivener alternative?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Joat, Jan 24, 2016.

Hello, I have had a busy and expensive week. I bought Scrivener, it is the first program I have found in a really long time that I totally loved when I opened it, it just made sense to me.

I upgraded version 12.5 Dragon to version 13 premium. Now I am finding the compatibility between the Dragon and Scrivener not the best. Besides doing something like buying Word. Is there another program like Scrivener that is geared towards writing but not as big as Word that will work with Dragon? I want to use both, Scrivener and Dragon. It just seem like there is too much extra work involved. Any ideas on a different direction I can take besides Scrivener that works great with Dragon?

Thank you to all who comment.

Joat

2. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

I can't advise on compatibility with DNS, but most applications have a free download and trial - some with saving disabled, others a period of time before the application dies, so you have scope for experimentation.

Without knowing what you're writing, it's not easy to recommend anything, but if you're working on a novel, perhaps oStorybook is worthwhile - it is freeware and uses LibreOffice as its WP. Again, if you're working on a novel, try a google search for novel writing software, and you'll find many alternatives to the one you bought, most notably WriteItNow, and WriteWay Pro, both of which are excellent.

3. Joat

Joat New Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I have downloaded several trials and was really set on Scrivener. I think dragon still works with it, just not fully functional with corrections.

I am interested in writing e-books, 100-150 page short stories and eventually may venture towards a novel.

I have had to change careers mid life and explore new fields that may suit my physical abilities. I just want something I can learn to use with some effort. Most importantly I want full functionality with Dragon. I don't have the physical tools anymore to sit up type.

Thank you again for your response.

Joat

4. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

You're welcome. I don't know about DNA's entire tool set - it's been years since I used IBM's equivalent, but I presume you want and need to issue editing and other commands verbally. I'm not sure how that will go with anything non-mainstream.

I wish you well, and if there's anything more I can do to help, please feel free to ask.

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'm curious, what on earth is Dragon...? :ohno:

If it's an OS, is it possible for you to just use Windows or Linux perhaps?

6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Dragon is a speech recognition software ("talk to text") with functionalities like voice navigation ("select WORD") and correction ("correct WORD") and stuff.

Mckk likes this.
  7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

My brother is using Dragon for writing and programming and he also had trouble with version 13 (I think). If I'm not mistaken Dragon 12 could work with most programs with text input fields, but there was no guarantee that it would work in a certain program. So in Dragon 13 the system was changed to only support a few programs (via "add-ins") in order to ensure full functionality. Something like that, anyway.

So if you really want to use Scrivener will full support for Dragon (like you used to), I think you'd need to downgrade Dragon to 12 again (like my brother did). :(