Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

OK, I’m calling it right here: this ‘feel-good’ movie is just another ‘inspirational’ movie where a physically-different person teaches us ‘normies’ how to live life by the minute, enjoy it and marvel at its *wonder*, and he [does something] at the end.

I mean, I’ve seen way too many of this stuff to think differently. That kid with the different face? Yeah, uh, let’s just say...he’s to this movie what black people are to horror movies...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I originally thought this was an update of the rocky Dennis movie from the 80's, but apparently it's based off of an unrelated book published in 2012.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

So it’s basically a rip-off of Rocky’s movie? A physically disfigured little boy teaches his community life lessons before [insert something]?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

How 'bout a spoiler alert, @Link the Writer? You know, just out of politeness?

Link the Writer likes this.
  5. Link the Writer

Sorry, just figured it was a common trope that everyone knows about. I fixed it.

6. The Dapper Hooligan

That's exactly what I thought at first glance, but looking further I think it's actually a mystery about how a couple in America can have a kid that's been in hospital under special care for years and still be able to send that kid to prep school and afford a decent house.

Rotten Tomatoes has given it a decent score, though chances of me seeing it are slim unless I'm on a date. Films like this are generally a bit too saccharine for my taste.

The film hasn't even been released yet. Are spoilers really necessary for speculation?

Oscar Leigh and Link the Writer like this.
  7. minstrel

Sorry - I didn't know that. I've never heard of the movie before. It's just that @Link the Writer's post made it sound like he'd seen it and was giving away the ending, which is a gigantic DON'T in the world of not being a prick.

8. Link the Writer

Aight, it's OK. I probably should've clarified that this movie hadn't been released yet and it was based on pure speculation.

9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I shall be watching It's a Wonderful Life later tonight. Never seen it, but only ever heard good things about it.

And it's Dave Lister's favourite film. If you have to ask, don't, cos you'll be none the wiser.

10. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

See despair of Rigoletto scene 1, and Pavorotti, a leg of horse in his mouth, scene 2. Then power down possibly, power nap.

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    So I just watched Noah, starring Maximus, Hermione, and Sarah.

Lotsa spoilers here, btw.

I'm not one of the people who considers the Flood to be history, but I'm not here to be the guy wittering on about genetic bottlenecks and all that.

I'm here to be the guy complaining about Ugg boots and skinny jeans. Serrated knives. Stowaways. Spring steel. Everything but a car chase, for that matter. I've never seen a forest before in my life, because reasons, let's chop the fucker down. But only a little bit of it, for some reason. The only way I know how to make fire is with a hammer and gold. Speaking of hammers, why is the guy in the modern welding mask using a concave warhammer to commit attempted blacksmithery?

Self-identified Christians actually liked this movie?

I liked Noah's antinatalism, although I wondered about the theology of "the artist known as The Creator" leaving it up to one man's decision.

Aside from the stowaway, I kind of liked the scenes of tension onboard the ark. I know that some might see that as blasphemous, but in this context, blasphemy is pretty much the norm rather than the exception, so showing that not everyone was equally and constantly confident in the righteousness of their actions was nice. Ditto with Noah staying by himself after landfall, and staying drunk. At least one bender is there in the scripture, and I kind of felt like there could be a subtext of PTSD there, not just guilt for letting humanity survive. Ham's "seeing Noah's nakedness" seemed rather on the light side, but that is what the book says, and his leaving is portrayed as a decision, not a punishment, so.... yeah.

Shit film overall though, unless you're completely ignorant of scripture and like random CGI and Transformers movies.....

12. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

I watched Arrival for the first time last night, and I really liked it. The editing style and cinematography was quite different (in my opinion) from what you see in most movies nowadays, and I thought it was very interesting.
    And man, I did not see that ending coming! It took a very interesting turn towards the end of the movie :p

13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I hated the ending. Sapir Worf does not apply to time, I don't care what the author thinks, and even if I'm willing to swallow that, especially if I'm willing to swallow that, it makes Mommy Dearest there an absolute fucking monster. Wonder if she'd still have decided to have the kid if she knew it would be burned to death in a car accident or gang-raped or grown up to be a serial killer? "Oh, but she was cute when she was younger..."

Sorry, really set my antinatalism off big time.

izzybot likes this.
  14. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

While it was a little slow to start, when this puppy gets going, you see why reviewers say it is "absolutely fucking brilliant."

Nicole Kidman's best performance since Eyes Wide Shut.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  15. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

BTW, The Last Jedi sucked balls.

John-Wayne and Iain Aschendale like this.
  16. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

A bit harsh! I can understand if you were sucked in by the hype and initial reviews ... I was a little. The "better than Empire" chants were deeply ill-founded!

It was an enjoyable movie, not a great movie, and certainly not a in the same league and the originals. At least it tried to do something a little different. Personally I was not pleased with the acting. I thought Finn was well acted, and Luke was well acted too. I just found Rey to be an extremely dull character and I don't know whether it is because of the actress or the story; likely a bit of both?

Some of the "comedy" was pretty cringe worthy too. BUT, all said and done these are movies for kids so maybe that comment is a little too harsh.

Was it just me or were there women everywhere in this movie? The political messages really jarred me too. They were not veiled and badly represented ... I don't think they should've been in the movie at all tbh. Found it really distracting and left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Some great scenes and dramatic moments. Over all I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I guess we better all wake up to the fact that it is EXTREMELY rare for a piece of art to be bettered (in my experience only Radiohead have ever done this repeatedly!)

Worth a watch, but don't get your hopes up. If you ignore the whole Star Wars phenomenon then its just a typical sci-fi action adventure film. Not really one that would stick in the memory over all, but with some memorable moments. A good movie, a shaky narrative, and certainly not the best Satr Wars movie ever made!

I wish I could recommend any recent movies. Sadly I am old school. I like plots and narratives, but today it's mostly about special effects. I have found the whole Marvel series to be very interesting though, as a kind of new expression of age old mythos.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  17. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

How about "Life is Beautiful." That is a seriously amazing film.

It's one I would suggest EVERYONE watch. As heartwarming as it is heartbreaking. It's subtitled, but don't be put off if you usually steer clear from foreign films. A truly beautiful film and one I'll never forget.

18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Unwashed ones.

19. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Will Smith saying: "Fuckit, now I wann'a go. We're gonna' tittie-bar gun-fight die. Come on, let's go." was - after the return of electrical service to my neighborhood, of course - the highlight of 2017.

[​IMG]

20. minstrel

Sex, Wrey. Try it. And I don't mean with Will Smith in a tittie bar. :D

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    That just might be one of his fantasies, Will's a good looking guy :)

22. The Dapper Hooligan

Gotta be honest, if that were an option, I'd try it.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  23. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

I thoroughly enjoyed this. 7/10 definitely.

Wreybies likes this.
  24. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well after finishing the Divergent trilogy, I have concluded that 'The One'
    type stories are kinda stupid and full of plot conveniences so that the protag
    can't really fuck up at all. They just have a secondary lead that gets written
    in such a way to act as an 'obstructionist' when it suits the narrative to make
    it seem as though the MC has growth, when it really puts the secondary out
    of character at those points. Yet these plot hole filled, deus ex machina riddled
    stories about 'special persons' are freaking popular. What I don't understand
    is once the story is setup we instantly know that no matter what the MC will
    never actually have a chance to lose/fail at all. The instant bad ass for no other
    reason than because plot, and never really suffer any consequence for what
    they do (even when they mock fuck up).

Deus ex Jesus H Christ, that tropey narrative is getting old. :bigmad:

25. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    That's why I quit Maze Runner after one film. Thing is, it's YA, and we're too old for it. There's nothing wrong with those tropes if you're 16 and haven't seen a dozen of them.