Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Maddy Knight

Maddy Knight Member

View attachment 21123
    This looks amazing, yes. Thank you. Well, I am a big, big fan of period film, and write I them often. I wrote a screenplay for a more serious film in this same period, but that screenplay was ripped off and put into prodcution. I spooked when I saw the duel scene in this trailer, and the lady firing the rifle in the woods, because I had the very same scenes in mine. nearly twins. I thought the person who ripped off the screenplay pulled a fast one and rewrote it (again), then tried to get it produced (again, for the 5th time). Nope, just a coincidence. Uncorrected screengrab from the film attached. The film was never released due to the theft. Such a waste.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. Maddy Knight

Maddy Knight Member

My first thought was that this had visual similarities to the series 'Ozark', so I looked it. Yup, takes place in the Ozarks. I need to go see it for myself!

Maybe the series (2017) was inspired by this ??

Thank you for this reco. I'll watch 'em both (if I can finf them) and let you know.

3. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I just finished watching Mud and was pleasantly surprised. Great movie.

4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This movie

Malisky likes this.
  5. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Matt Damon is Jason Bourne. End of franchise.

6. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Watched Wong Kar Wai's "Fallen Angels". What a way to tell a story! Or two. The cinematography is the kind of crazy I like. :superagree:

7. Malisky

A documentary I'd like to see. Gonna premiere at the Miami Film Festival. You still got these things going on you lucky birds!

Xoic likes this.
  8. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Re-watched Face Off ('97) because I miss the 90s. It was very well executed. Reminded me that good craft can be a substitute for verisimilitude.

9. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

"The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" was so cool. Coen Brothers. You can tell by the face of the lead character. Their characters always have that look. I wish that first vignette would have ran the whole movie, but there were several other good ones too.

10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The vignette with Clancy Brown and the quadruple amputee entertainer is one of the most fucked up thing I've ever seen.

Seven Crowns and EFMingo like this.
  11. Malisky

Just watched this on netflix. It's rare that I stumble upon a film that moves me so much. It's about coping with the death of a loved one. The loved one in this story is a man who had a wife, a son and a boyfriend.

love to read likes this.
  12. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I noticed that Crip Camp and My Octopus Teacher have been nominated for the Oscar for best documentary. I saw both of these and they really are both excellent...it's too bad My Octopus Teacher is mostly known only through implied-beastiality jokes...

13. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I'd never heard of Crip Camp until you mentioned it here. I immediately assumed it was related to the "color gangs" of America (IIRC blue for Crips, red for Bloods). Slightly less interested now that I know what's being discussed.

14. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Yep. As you may know, there's an episode of South Park built around precisely this same misunderstanding...

Homer Potvin likes this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Actually I didn't, but I'll take a look, thanks!

16. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I went to see Monster Hunter in the theater today and I liked it.

Spoiler wrapped because.

I read that it got bad reviews for not having enough of a plot. Fuck you, did you expect Citizen Kane from a video game adaptatation?

But also, it's clearly a Part One looking for a sequel.

As for why I liked it though:

1) No plot. No, there is a plot. It's what happens when a Ranger team in Iraq (?) drops through a portal into a Very Bad Place.

2) No plot. No, the sole surviving Ranger (the team chief) is not The Chosen One. Nor was she Foretold By The Prophecy. She is a badass Ranger captain (I have it on the authority of a Marine buddy who went on to get his Ranger and Special Forces tabs that Rangers are pretty badass) who got dropped into a combat situation that she doesn't totally understand, and she does well.

3) No plot. As I mentioned above, the MC is a Ranger captain. She's not some every(wo)man who fell into a hostile situation and somehow overcame by pluckiness and luck. She's also not a White Messiah who does things better than the natives, she repeatedly just barely survives thanks to local assistance.

4) Casting. Ron Perlman makes everything he's in 10% better than it should be. Even Sons of Anarchy, which I rated at 10% positive.

5) Casting. Milla Jovovich gives everything she's in a +20%

6) Linguistics: Finally nobody gets the magic language mojo (although Mr. Perlman is a little bit suspect, but he's got plot armor +10, as mentioned above). Ms. Ranger Captain meets a local buddy, gives him chocolate, and he thinks chocolate means food. Or booze. Were it not for Hellboy's intervention we'd have no clue what was going on.

Like if you dropped through a dimensional portal into Arrakis' younger, more violent brother.

Negative points? The fremen would have kicked Rufio's ass for his water discipline.

17. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Has anyone seen the adaptation of Mother Night by Vonnegut?

Loved the book. Trailer looks spot on:

18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just watched Rich Idiots Commit Mass Suicide.

Not a tear was shed.

19. Selbbin

And Zhao wins Best Asian Female in a year with little real competition so they could again pad out the diversity.

The fact that she wins Best Director and Best Film against much better films, while masters like Debra Granik didn't win for Winter's Bone, and Kelly Reichardt hasn't even been nominated, is a crime.

Oscars fail.

Xoic likes this.
  20. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Most awards shows fail these days. Like what the hell are rap stars doing in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? While too many legitimate rock musicians still haven't been recognized.

21. Selbbin

To be 'fresh' and 'relevant' and 'draw the young crowds to the hall.' It's insane. Integrity has gone to hell.

Xoic likes this.
  22. Selbbin

I'd at least expect it to keep the same vibe, style, story as the game. It's so sad seeing Milla doing this kind of rubbish again and again. But when you're married to a hack...

The dismissing of quality from these kinds of films by saying 'what did you expect, Citizen Kane?' is a disservice to the genuinely amazing films that do get it right. It's like you're saying you can't make a great comic / game film so why expect one? But films like Dredd beg to differ.

The original Resident Evil was great, and the only good one after that was the one Paul WS Anderson didn't direct. The rest were beyond garbage. The last two were appalling pieces of complete.... the worst. Just, the worst films pretty much ever.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I think you and I will probably have to agree to disagree on this one. I haven't played or seen the game, but IMO movies based on games and comics are pretty universally horrible. The only one I can really remember being impressed by was the most recent Joker, and the connection between the comic franchise and that movie is tenuous at best. That said, when I just want to munch popcorn and guzzle a bucket of soda I will still occasionally go see one. I just don't expect anything beyond explosions and chirarism.

24. Selbbin

It's subjective so I won't even try to change your mind because that's not relevant. But personally, I like and I write action films. Popcorn movies can be great. I bring up Dredd because at it's core it's just a dumb comic book movie, but it's done really, really well. From the simple plot, the great sets, to the awesome music. Despite it just being explosions, bad guys and one liners they have great subtlety and nuance, they don't go overboard with origin story bullshit or lame attempts at deeper more 'meaningful' characters, and they don't try and connect it to our present day to make it 'identifiable'. They just get on with it and blow shit up with great one liners. It's the same reason why Fury Road isn't just a great action movie, but one of the best movies ever made. The new Tomb Raider sucked ass because they tried to explain everything and make it 'emotional' with all that family connection bullshit. Don't. Just have her raid fucking tombs and kill bad guys. Like Indiana Jones did. When they finally did add his dad, he was established and it was funny.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  25. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I haven't seen the new(er) Judge Dredd movie, I only know the Stallone version. Which was, well, a Stallone film. I agree with you on Fury Road though, but that's not tethered to a comic book or game. It's the linked movies that almost always fall flat for me.