Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. AlyceOfLegend

AlyceOfLegend Senior Member Contest Winner 2022

Currently Reading::
    Fanfiction- Stranger Things, Supernatural
    Anyone play Wolfenstein? I'm watching the movie a lot of the game was modeled after: Where Eagles Dare.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Classic. Watch Guns of Navarone next if you haven't seen it.

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I almost said this yestarday, but I didn't want to put you off watching it. I thought overall it was pretty boring, with only a couple of memorable parts, those being the chase scene, "Popeye's here!", and "Did you ever pick your toes in Poughkeepsie?" Oh, and I like Roy Scheider in pretty much everything I've seen him in. I haven't seen part 2, and didn't even realize there was one.

OurJud likes this.
  4. AlyceOfLegend

Loved Guns of Navarone and Force Ten from Navarone. The Dirty Dozen is a hoot.

5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Still not watched the sequel yet - I plan to later tonight - but a quick look on IMDB tells me that unfortunately Schneider didn’t reprise his role.

Xoic likes this.
  6. Keongxi

Keongxi Member

The 90s Wolfenstein-3d or Return to Castle Wolfenstein? I was recently playing Wolfenstein-3D and tried to get back the nostalgia feeling but then realized I can never relive the past. :(

7. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Yeah, watch Roy Scheider in "Sorceror." I'm not quite sure why the movie is called that. He's not a wizard, Harry.
    You're going to see a real cast of anti-heroes. They are really despicable.
    Beautiful cinematography, and by beautiful I mean grittily realistic.
    It has the most precarious car (truck) stunt I've ever seen. Very tense. It would mean nothing with CGI, but they really filmed that.
    I might watch it again today, now that I'm thinking about it.

Just saw Bride of Frankenstein and The Mummy in the theater. I like to see old movies there just to say I saw them on the big screen.

The Mummy is basically a beat-for-beat ripoff of Dracula. It's okay even so.

Bride of Frankenstein is . . . eh. Frankenstein is much better, and is so far the best classic horror movie I've seen. There are moments in Bride of Frankenstein that are just plain weird. There's a part where Dr. Pretorius shows his new creation and they're these little "elves" in jars that are dressed like royalty and talk like munchkins. It was so out of place. It went on and on. I guess it was a good special effect, but still not as cool as all that lab equipment when it's fired up.

And it's not really the Bride of Frankenstein. It's more like the Daughter-in-law of Frankenstein. She shows up in the last two minutes and rejects her would-be husband. So sad.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Xoic likes this.
  8. Xoic

I remember that one. Sort of sits in the same place in my memory as The Gauntlet, where Clint Eastwood had to drive a bus through an endless hail of bullets as it slowly disintegrated. Not the same kind of stunt, but both vehicle-related ones that form the centerpiece of the movie. And both big heavy vehicles, not involved in a high-speed chase.

9. Xoic

Another movie that's vaguely in the same category (built around an unusual vehicle-related setpiece scene) was Sky Riders, where James Coburn assaults a high mountain fortress with hang-gliders to rescue Robert Culp's wife and children. I had to look up the name, couldn't remember it.

Shares certian things in common with Where Eagles Dare—a dangerous attack on a seemingly impenetrable mountian fortress.

I had to laugh at the trailer. They stole a cue from 2001, using a waltz to accentuate the gracefulness of a flying scene.

Turns out the whole movie is on YouTube for free. I'll see if I can make it through, don't remember how good it is.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Seven Crowns likes this.
  10. OurJud

The French Connection II - a rather curious sequel.
    Popeye relocates to France to track down ‘Frog Number One’, who conceives a rather devious scheme to get Popeye off his tail: kidnap him and get him addicted to heroine. What follows then, when Popeye is returned to the police three weeks later, is a lengthy dose of confined cold turkey. Curiously this is when the film is at its most intriguing.

As good as the original, in its own way, but I’m not sure how much of a recommendation that is.

Seven Crowns and Xoic like this.
  11. Xoic

Sky Riders is pretty decent for what it is—a middle to low-tier 70's thriller. I mean, it's not Criterion Collection stuff, but it's fun enough. A nice mix of that 70's gritty realism with some cheese. The one thing I can't get over is the way the troupe of daredevil hang-glider pilots (the Air Circus) were just instantly ready and willing to become an anti-terrorist team for no real reason. They trained Coburn in how to fly a hang-glider, but he never trained them in fighting, shooting, or tactical creeping skills, but somehow they all know exactly what they're doing. They're really a trope from comedy swashbuckler movies, or something like Robin's Merry Men—a colorful group of adventurers who just decide to accompany the hero on his quest and bring their strange array of skills to bear. But hey, that's that fun 70's cheese for ya.

12. OurJud

I’m only 30 minutes into Top Gun Maverick, and I’m already feeling like the stranger at a party for never having seen the original.

13. AlyceOfLegend

Saw the first one, it was okay. No urge to see the second.

14. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Finally saw Kramer vs Kramer.

I get it now.

Kenneth McCabe likes this.
  15. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I came across Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) on Youtube and the atmosphere of the film was really intriguing. I looked up an explanation for the events in the film. Apparently it was based on a book whose editors advised the writer to remove the reason and leave it an unsolved mystery.

16. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

The final chapter was published separately after the author's death as The Secret of Hanging Rock. I've not read it (or the original novel), but if you want to know without stumping up a fair bit of cash for a single chapter: https://mashable.com/article/amazon-picnic-at-hanging-rock-ending-explained. Warning: it's disappointing and weird. I recommend leaving it unexplained.

edamame likes this.
  17. Xoic

This could be cross-pollinated with the "Things you recently bought or got" thread. I got the fairly recently-released blu-ray version of Phantasm, mastered in 4k, and finally the book standing on Mike's bedside table is legible!! My friend and I struggled many times to read what it said on the cover in earlier versions and could never make it out, but at last it is revealed! We could tell it was science fiction by the cover, but now I can see at last that it's Roger Zelazny's My Name is Legion. The way it's so prominently featured in several shots makes it clear there's intended to be some relevance. It's more or less a zombie story, isn't it? I don't know if the Will Smith movie of the same name is a faithful adaptation, but I've seen parts of that. Mindless destructive zombie-things all over the place, and only one man left alive if I understand the concept.

I suppose that's fairly close to the situation, but there are several heroes left, until the end, then I suppose it's only Mike and Reggie (didn't we see him die though?) I mean, lots of other people all around the world, but as in most zombie movies the underlying idea is that if they relentlessly kill the living (and that after all is exactly what they do), and then the living become zombies—it's only a matter of time till they utterly outnumber the living and soon there will be nothing but zombies. And there's also often an assumpotion that "We're them, and they're us", as was actually stated clearly at the end of the original Night of the Living Dead and echoed thematically through most of the zombie movies that follwed, up to and especially inclding The Walking Dead, in which the title actually refers to the survivors rather than the zombies, if I understand correctly. Makes sense—if all you're doing is constantly struggling just to remain alive, that's hardly living. You're in pure survival, mode, same as them, and your quality of life isn't much better.

Set2Stun and Kenneth McCabe like this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    This is part of a series made by a 17 year old kid using Blender software.

Scariest fucking thing I've seen in ten years or more, watch it alone with the lights out. No gore or anything, so notionally SFW/kids but just damn frightening.

19. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

I think you're referring to Richard Matheson's I am Legend, with the zombie film, not My Name is Legion (Smith doesn't appear to have made a film with that name). The I am Legend film is not a faithful recreation, and is very much inferior to the book in my opinion. I've not read My Name is Legion.

Xoic likes this.
  20. Xoic

Well that explains a few things! Thank you. Now to look into what My Name is Legion is actually about.

Storysmith likes this.
  21. AlyceOfLegend

Now you've done it. I am watching all I can find.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  22. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Heathers
    American Psycho
    Fight Club

any more suggestions with the same vibe? Psychotic and dark-ish but not depressing dark, so movies like Donnie Darko or Se7en or something are out.

23. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Have you tried Taxi Driver (1976) or Falling Down (1993)?

24. Xoic

A few that might fit:

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

ReAnimator

Wow—the whole movie is on YouTube for free

Dagon

(Might be too psychotic and probably too depressing)

The Woman

Girl

25. Xoic

A couple of the most psychotic movies I can think of, but probably way too depressing—

Buffalo '66

The Brown Bunny

Both written/directed and starring Vincent Gallo. Multi-talented. But extremely strange.