Movies, Movies, Movies!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ILTBY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Marloy

Marloy New Member

I didn't see the "spoilers" option, so I made my own.

I can't show you, but it looks just like the

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

For a spoiler tag, you do this:

[s poiler]Text! (Obviously you don't have that space in the first tag)[/spoiler]

It becomes this:

Text!

3. Marloy

Marloy New Member

Okay, better wording, thankyou!

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

There's a book? :confused:

5. penhobby

penhobby New Member

I don't know, but I hope so, because in my defense my hubby didn't understand the end either.

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

No, I'm 99% certain there was never a book.
    Penhobby, you could probably look up the plot summary on Wikipedia for some answers.

7. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

There never was a book, they just made Hancock up, except he's like a black superman, and he doesn't wear tights.

8. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Wears tight leather, though. (Not complaining. =P I'm a bad person.)
    Still, my main gripe with the movie was definitely the draggy second half.

9. penhobby

penhobby New Member

There were parts that were funny as hell and one that I still can't get out of my head, because it was just so wrong. (I'm certain you know what scene I refer to.) I think it fell short of its own demands. The potential was there and reached it at certain times. I'd give it three stars.

10. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

The villain at the end was the guy who's hand Hancock cut off before when he stopped the bank robbery. And basically, the superheroes were in pairs, ie Hanock and that lass, but when they were together, they became weaker and able to be attacked. So he left so they could both live.

11. Banzai

In a nutshell :p

12. Marloy

Marloy New Member

No book eh? Like I'd know. :p

13. penhobby

penhobby New Member

Does no one remember the one handed guy kneeling beside Hancock and saying. 'You've lived thousands of years, but now its time die. You might even enjoy it. You might even thank me.'

I didn't understand how he knew Hancocks basic age when no one else in the movie knew...well except for the woman. Thats why I asked who he was, because he seemed to know more about Hancock than he was supposed to, being just a regular old bank robber. Maybe he googled him. Anywho its no big deal. I still enjoyed it.

I really like the Spoiler thing...maybe a bit too much.

14. Banzai

Well, I assumed that it was a given that everyone knew (or guessed) Hancock was immortal, since he had been around for 80 years without aging (with the PR guy just being ignorant). The thousands of years could have followed from this assumption, or could have been a plot hole. But it wasn't a big enough one to call my attention, and I'm usually a real bitch with those sort of things.

15. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? New Member

Hancock - Pretty Good Movie

I've heard various complaints and praises over this movie, and over all, I loved it. Sure, it's no Batman, but that's not the type of movie it is. It's comedic, actiony, and has a hint of Science Fiction. I did, however, find some of the dialogue to be corny, but other then that I liked it. Really good Special Effects to. Once again, Will Smith conquers.

16. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

I loved the first half. First half was absolutley amazing. Second half, when they decided to explain why he was the way he was was absolutley terrible, chessy and hideous, IMO. However, whilst I didn't like the way the story changed direction, I loved the poignancy
    when he crawls out of the hospital and flies away so that they can both live

I hope my spoiler sign worked.

17. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

It was a decent film, it wont exactly go down in my top films ever but i like films in general and it takes a really bad film for me not to like it, and basically very few, if any films with will smith in it will be really bad.

The thing i would say is that the idea was better than the plot itself - the film would have been better if it didnt have to go anywhere, if that makes sense. The comedy and the action of "he's a superhero with attitude" was good, but it couldnt really be a film if it didnt go anywhere, so they had to add the second half of it which wasnt so good.

I Am Legend had the same problem imo, the premise was good, but when the plot actually had to move on, it wasnt quite as good as the beginning.

Which makes me think both of those things would have been better for TV shows, where you can expand on an idea without things having to move on immediately (just look at Lost :cool:)

But yeah, decent film :p

18. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

I couldn't have put it better. You might want to put a couple of those bits under spoilers though, so that people don't get the film wrecked if they haven't seen it.... just in case.

19. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

Yeah, when they start explaining everything, dialogue gets cheesy, but that's almost inevitable. I really agree with Silver random though. This movie only survived because Will Smith acted in it, and he can do any movie because he's Will Smith.

20. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

Yeah ty, i just took out the spoiler - i actually didnt see the 2nd half coming, so i shouldnt potentially ruin it for other people :eek:

21. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

Yes, Scribe's Spoiler was a sweet part of the movie. ;D

22. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

Yeah. See as much as I hated the story and things that took the film to that point, I really loved that bit itself.

23. coalminersdaughter

coalminersdaughter Member

POSSIBLE SPOILER

I agree with most of you. The second half of the movie was pretty ridiculous. Why, for instance, does Charlize Theron show up to meet him at his trailer all vamped out when the point of the movie, I thought, was to show super heroes who weren't all about presentation? Maybe it doesn't matter but I thought it was pretty silly. I thought the idea that they couldn't be around each other or they would lose their powers was pretty lame. Too bad they had to ruin it. Plus, they didn't have a good central villain so it suffered. Nice try, Hollywood! I know your games!

24. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

well, haven't watched it yet, (didn't stop me from reading the spoilers) but i think the only thing the critics didn't like about it was the weird plot twist at the end.

25. Risen Glory

Risen Glory New Member

This movie was funny, but it was almost not worth watching. It was likea combination of the powers of Superman, the stupidity of Austin Powers, and the cheesiness of Orlando Bloom.