1. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Mr Potato Head

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Pinkymcfiddle, Jun 15, 2017.

Hello everyone,

My character is involved in a potato head disturbance, and as a result his head becomes rather like a potato; no not that fluffy mash potato, which you usually enjoy with (what is the class here?) probably liver, cat food? or really bad bread-filled sausages.

No I was not talking about smash, which is probably your own personal alternative to real potato, I am talking about a potato.

Well, a hex is put upon his head, the context is as follows: -

Witch: "You ran over my cat!"
    Brian: "What you on about, you old bitch? I no more ran over your cat than my head is a potato!"
    Witch: "A potato eh? May your head become a potato!"

How would you survive with a potato for a head, and please no answers referring to Smash.

2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Try to avoid writing a stereotypical trans-potato. Just think of a normal person...and then make him a potato, and you should be good.

Pinkymcfiddle likes this.
  3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Is this a special week for you, Pinky? It's not even Friday yet!

Pinkymcfiddle, BayView and David Lee like this.
  4. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

A potato head is a versatile tool for any writer. It's easily accepted, and encouraged, to attach, mix and match, and generally artify the characters face. You can use different attachments to help set scenes, as foreshadowing, or even augment the senses.

Pinkymcfiddle likes this.
  5. Ross O'Keefe

Ross O'Keefe Member

I think the key is not to submit to the (and I'm not being derisive when I say this) absurdity of the premise. I really liked 'The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break' by Steven Sherrill - give that a read. The author keeps us firmly rooted in the mundane cycle of everyday life, but the lead character (and only the lead character) is a Minotaur.