MS Word 2007- do you like it?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Ellen1212, Feb 24, 2010.

1. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Trying to make it perform on the fly would be a bad way to go, true. But that's the case for all versions of Word, and all other word processors I know.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I never meant to imply otherwise.

3. Ellen1212

Ellen1212 New Member

I started with the default margins, which I thought were one inch on both sides. When I saw that this was not the case- they were one and a half- I figured I could change them at any point, that it wouldn't be an issue. My point was that this should not be a major hassle, it should be easy. Since that post I have learned to deal with the ribbon.
    By the way, yesteday I cut and pasted half a page of text. Afterwards I discovered that five whole pages had been repeated. I'm glad that most everyone seems fairly happy with Word 2007, but it seems to have bugs and I am seriously thinking of going back to WordPerfect, where I never had any problems. And I did take the tutorial months ago.

4. digitig

I never meant to imply you did mean to imply otherwise ;)

It's just that the thread starter was "MS Word 2007- do you like it?", but the actual question seems to be "Word processors - do you like them?"

5. Ellen1212

Ellen1212 New Member

No, my actual question was about MS Word 2007.

6. Cogito

No, the actual question is Word 2007 vs other versions of Word. If it turns into a free-for-all about other writing software, the thread will be closed.

7. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

My thoughts on Microsoft Word 2007? Well, I tried it out for a day or so, and then I quickly went back to my old from from like 10 years ago. :p Maybe I'm just too used to that one but that about sums up what I thought of Word 2007. :D

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

anyone know where i can find word/line/etc. count in the new version?

9. Cogito

In the status bar at the bottom. The word count is shown, and you can click it for more statistics.

10. digitig

As Cogito says, it should be in the status bar, but there's a known bug and it doesn't always show (usually if the document is very complex). As an alternative, if you go to the Review tab of the ribbon then "Word Count" is in the Proofing block towards the left. Clicking that brings up the same message box.

11. mammamaia

thanks, guys!

12. Stormyyy

Stormyyy New Member

You guys do know that you can use Microsoft Office 2010 Beta for free untill October.:)

13. Cogito

Yes. I tend to stay clear of Betas. Not only do they tend to be buggy, they don't always uninstall cleanly when the time comes.

I'm very experienced with software, but I prefer to avoid having to do full wipes and reinstalls of my computers. Therefore I avoid installing products that I know will be removed later, especially if they are prone to leaving bits and pieces around.

All Beta software is offered at the user's risk.

14. Stormyyy

Stormyyy New Member

I have been using it for awhile with no problems, and if you use a good uninstaller then you can uninstall everything associated with the program, even registry keys though i dont recommend it.;)

Edit* Yes i do see your point. I think average computer users should stay away from Beta programs. However, Microsoft wouldn't offer it the the public if it wasn't reasonably safe.

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

They've issued a number of updates that have buggered up my system, so I wouldn't count on that...

16. Cosmos

Cosmos New Member

To me, it's kind of a "not broke, don't fix it". 2003 was entirely fine. I would have tweaked it, but create entirely different verison? No. I feel it's just MS draining out another drop of the consumer's money. And worse, as an admin I have to learn more programs just to satisfy MS's greed. What next Word 2010, 2012, 2015? How many more am I gonna have to learn and put on my resume? xD

Also, Word 2003 is pretty simplistic, which works for me as sometimes the simple things are the best.

17. Stormyyy

Stormyyy New Member

Odd. What operating system are you running? Where you infected with a virus at the time of the update? :confused:

18. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Vista, and no.

19. digitig

Incidentally, the BBC has a pile of templates for drama called Scriptsmart, which look really useful if that's what you're writing. They work with Word2007.

20. Cogito

I generally create my own document templates, but it would be useful to get a prefabricated one for something as complex as script formatting. At least it seems complex to someone who never writes scripts. ;)

21. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

^ Heh.

I don't know any script format. I just open up Word and make liberal use of the "Center" function.

22. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm no expert, but I prefer MS Word 2003 to 2007. Seemed simpler and 2007 wasn't much different, if I remember rightly.

23. mammamaia

it is, cog... and a good formatting program is a must for anyone who's serious about screenwriting... final draft is the best, with movie magic's 'screenwriter' an almost close second... celtx is the most popular freebie, but with a bit of work, anyone can set up their own with ms word... word also has a preset script template that may be free, or cost just a comparative pittance...

24. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

its ok although 2003 is better but i no longer have that on my computer,. i have a full version of 2007 but at the moment i can't seem to load it on my comuter, i have tried contacting microsoft but their product support seems to be as useful as a chocolate teapot in a furnace, does anyone have any advice on what to do if the disk appears to be unreadable, is there any way to use the unlcok key to activate the programme without the disk?

25. Cogito

If the disk is unreadable, take the defective copy back to the vendor for a replacement copy.

However, if you are looking for the activation key, it sounds like you have already managed to install it. I don't see the problem, if you have really purchased the product license and media.