Tags:
  1. Freespiritgirl

Freespiritgirl New Member

Much needed advice please!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Freespiritgirl, Jan 7, 2020.

Hi I am new to this forum and new to writing, I have recently reduced my working hours and have some much needed time to enjoy activities I have never had time to do before. I have always wanted to write, short stories especially. I am not sure where to start. My main question being there is a 12 week writing course starting at a local college called ‘get writing’. I have never written anything before and so am unsure if doing a course like this would be the ideal start or if this would diminish my confidence if others are more experienced etc. I welcome your guidance and advise please.

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @Freespiritgirl - and welcome from me! This is a great forum for fun and knowledge, you will learn a lot by hanging out here, critiquing people's work, maybe putting some of yours up for crit further down the line, but if you have the time and inclination to do the course then do it. It's called "get writing", not "Refresher course for Joycean Scholars" or "Advanced plotting techniques for Booker Prize winners". Writing is an individual thing. There is some commonality like Spelling and Grammar, but even those "rules" can be flouted once you know them. When it comes to readers, one man's meat is very much another man's poison. Someone may hate your work, someone else may adore it. You cannot write for everyone, so enjoy what you write and hope that you are at least writing for someone... or not. Not every writer even shares their work. It really is up to you. I would simply say do it, do it, do it. (which, by the way, isn't grammatically correct...)

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I was going to say pretty much the same thing, but Hammer beat me to the punch so to speak (wow, worlds' worst attempt at a pun? Hammers don't actually 'punch'). You should definitely do it! I'm thinking it'll be an experience you'll love and always look back on fondly, and will form a foundation for your writing.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  4. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

You sound like a pretty articulate person, and I will assume you're confident with your use of English, in terms of spelling and grammar.

There are two approaches you could take (well, there are more than two!):

1) Get writing! If you're a reader, you'll have already learned a lot without knowing it. Think about what kind of stories you enjoy, and why you enjoy them. Perhaps try to imitate your favourite authors. Hang around here and post your work for critique. I've been here for about 3 months and I've improved immesurably (IMO!).

2) Attend the course. You'll learn a lot about how to write, stuff that you probably never thought about as a reader. Having seen some of the writing articles and materials out there, there are simply things I never even knew about. In a writing course, you should also have peers to talk to, and it should build your confidence as a writer.

Or... a combination of both!

jannert and Cdn Writer like this.
  5. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I'd suggest a little bit of a different approach. There's nothing wrong with any academic course but if it costs money and you wrote you've reduced your working hours so I assume the cash flow went down as well, there are free books in the local library on how to write. Apparently there are also YouTube videos as well and someone posted a link to one in one of the forums....can't remember which. Those might be a good starting place and if you find you really like the topic and want to do more, then the course might be an option to develop further.

jannert and Freespiritgirl like this.
  6. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

The goal is to share your expression. If you can get your reader to feel the emotion you feel, or see the point you are making, or visualize the scene you imagine in some way, you are a success. The rest is mechanics and experience. Get as much as you can! Dig deep in this site and get to know people here. Epiphany is inevitable! :D

jannert and Freespiritgirl like this.
  7. Freespiritgirl

8. Freespiritgirl

Thank you Someguy I will heed your advice and definitely explore this site further to gain valuable insight.

9. Freespiritgirl

Thank you for great suggestion Cdn writer I have been reading some of the writing books but thought there is nothing better than personal interactions with people. It’s strange how thoughts of returning to a class room environment start or evoke those horrible school memories of being made to read out loud!
    I will also look on YouTube and see if I ca get inspiration there too, thanks again for your support it is much appreciated.

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Freespiritgirl, and welcome to the forum. :)

I'm one of the moderators here, and I'm delighted to see how many members have already engaged with your opening question. All good advice, in my opinion.

I'll add my two-cents'-worth as well. You are exploring the idea of writing. The first thing you really must do is get over any feelings of inadequacy or fearfulness about how others will see what you're doing. This is a learning experience. You are bound to make mistakes. There will always be people 'better' and more experienced than you ...in any sphere of activity, not just writing.

Your goal should be to learn to write (or learn that it's not your thing after all.) Nothing wrong with either outcome, as long as you've given it a good try, and haven't allowed other people to derail you. I'll echo @Naomasa298 's observation that if you're already a reader, you'll have a good idea of what good short stories are like. This shouldn't be a handicap (as in 'omigod everybody else is better than me') but should give you confidence that when you've hit that sweet spot, you'll know it.

Anyway, with all that said ...if you want to take a local course that might get you started or help you establish direction ...do it!

Before that, though, you might want to make a wee list for yourself. List what you think your storytelling assets might be. Do you have lots of story ideas and never have a problem thinking of what you'd like to write about? Have you got a good idea of what your characters might be like? Are you the sort of person who finishes what you start? And doesn't expect stuff to be perfect straight out of the box? Conversely, also list what you think you might struggle with. Pacing (a tendency to focus only on the plot itself and be sketchy with the kinds of details that flesh out a story)? Do you have difficulty envisioning conversations, or envisioning settings? I wouldn't worry too much about grammar and spelling at the outset, as these things can easily be worked on and corrected ...but do you think you might struggle with these?

If you can establish your potential storytelling strengths and weaknesses in your own mind before you embark on the actual writing, you'll already have a notion of what to do next.

Anyway, back to my moderator role.

If you haven't already read these two links, please do so. They are important. They not only will help keep you on track, in terms of your forum membership, but they'll give you a good idea of what the forum has to offer.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

If you encounter any problems getting going, please don't hesitate to contact me, and I'll do what I can to help. Just click my owl avatar, choose 'start a conversation' and let me know what's what.

Meanwhile, explore the forum. Don't hesitate to jump into any threads that draw your interest. Check out our contests, read the entries and vote on the current ones, if you feel so inclined. (The members who enter these contests REALLY appreciate the votes.) You might even want to stay with this New Member Introductions section, and get to know the other people who are just joining up. Bidding them welcome and responding to what they've said about themselves is a great way to make friends here.

And above all, do have fun! :)

Cheers for now,

Jan

Xoic likes this.