Tags:
  1. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Question Multi-quotes ... how to clean them out

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by JLT, Jul 29, 2017.

I've tried to find the answer to this question in the FAQ and elsewhere, but without success.

When responding to a post, I often hit the "Multi-quote" button instead of the "reply" button. These quotes are presumably stored somewhere for retrieval, but I don't know where. And I don't know how to clean them out after I misuse the "multi-quote" button. Is there a place on the web site that explains all this?

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

To the left below the reply box you will have an "Insert Quotes..." button. Click on it and a window appears. In that window, click "Remove" (upper right) on all quotes.

ETA: "Insert Quotes..." only appears if you have at least one post stored for multi-quote.

3. JLT

I don't see that on my screen. There's the "Like -- +Quote -- Reply" row of buttons, but nothing below that until you get to the "Previous Thread -- Next Thread" buttons.

4. Komposten

upload_2017-7-30_22-2-42.png

5. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Could that be an operating system and/or browser thing? I'm using Safari 10.1.2 on Mac OS 10.12.6, and I don't have that button there.

6. Komposten

It's part of the forum software, and not related to the browser.

Have you clicked "+ Quote" on a post? (The button only shows up if you have at least one item quoted with the "+ Quote" button.)

7. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

... Turns out that I just missed the "+ Quote" button after trying to click it too quickly :oops:

It's working now.

Komposten likes this.
  8. JLT

When I click the "+Quote" button, all I get is a message that "Message added to Multi-Quote." Nothing else. (FWIW, I'm using Chrome version 59.0.3071.115 on a MacBook runnng the latest OSX)

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm also on Chrome and also on a Mac....

When you actually have anything stored in the Multi-Quote Function, it will give you the button you see here, just below the reply window in any thread. If you have nothing stored in Multi-Quote, then that button will not show. Go to the very last post on any of the pages of this (or any other) thread to check.

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 7.11.22 PM.png

I have selected three posts from this thread via the Multi-Quote Feature, so my button is present. Prior to selecting those posts with Multi-Quote, there was no button. When your Insert Quotes... button is present, click it and you'll get the following window. Each of the selected posts has a Remove feature to its respective upper right-hand corner. That's how you get rid of them if they are no longer wanted or inadvertent.

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 7.13.04 PM.png

I have now removed each of the three posts via its respective Remove option and now my lower reply window looks like this, sans button.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 7.15.57 PM.png

Komposten likes this.
  10. JLT

Aha! I think I've got it now! But maybe a write-up on how these multi-quotes work should be added to the FAQ section. My thanks to all who helped me through this.

Komposten likes this.