1. MrMcBuggles

MrMcBuggles New Member

Does anyone know how to use Dan Well's 7 Point System?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MrMcBuggles, Jul 7, 2013.

I watched the Youtube videos but I got confused a couple of places. One he had different headers across the top of his spreadsheet, Action, Romance, etc. Were those subplots? Then on the Matrix one it has cells not filled in. I don't get it. I understand what his system is doing, but I don't understand how he is mapping it out, even with downloadable sheets. Thanks for any help.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I've never heard of Dan Well or his 7 point system. I assume it is related to plot development or story writing? If it's that confusing, I suspect it's not worth the bother of trying to figure it out. Just write instead.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think a lot can go wrong if you rely too much on formulas like these:
    Definitely you need the hook. And that's a matter of learning the skill. Following a formula oversimplifies the task. There are though, a number of books about writing a hook that I've found quite helpful.

I've also seen a number of these formulas. I'm working on making the chapters in my novel tell the reader something about the characters or the plot, moving it forward or I have to consider cutting it. My novel is ending up paced quite differently than these formulas so following them would have handcuffed me.

Just my opinion. :)

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Me, too - on all counts :p

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Are YOU Dan Wells?

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

An excellent question. :)

7. MrMcBuggles

MrMcBuggles New Member

No. I am not. I found it on YouTube with a lot of other people. It seemed to be somewhat known by people on other forums and places I saw.

8. Ann-Russell

Ann-Russell Member

I've heard of it. I'm also a big fan of the podcast Writing Excuses which Dan Wells is a part of. I like Dan Wells 7-point structure (which he actually learned from a role-playing game guide or something). I think the template you're talking about comes toward the end of the presentation. Yes, the headings romance, action, etc. are all plots/subplots in the film the matrix. Not all the grids are filled in because he's showing you where each plot point occurs for the different plots. Some occur at the same time/scene in the movie and as he says, this gives those scenes a huge impact.

I like how he breaks it down, but remember to use this system as a guide...an incomplete one at that. A lot more happens in the coarse of a story in between said "points" and if you follow the formula too closely the story becomes...well, formulaic. I always suggest looking up several plot structures and such and taking what you need and leaving the rest (this goes for just about any writing subject, too).

9. MrMcBuggles

MrMcBuggles New Member

Thank you.

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

"...soapy showgirls in gooey gowns: two, three, kick, turn; turn, turn, kick, turn. It's enough to make you puke!!" - Roger De Bris.

11. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

[MENTION=53143]GingerCoffee[/MENTION] how do you know so much? You have an intelligent informed reply on just about every thread. I think I'm going to dump google and make you my new search engine :)