Multiple POV question

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CGB, Dec 11, 2015.

1. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time is a great example of this where each chapter is dedicated to one POV for the Major Characters and 3 or 4 POV sections in one chapter for Secondary Characters. He doesn't stay with any character for longer than a chapter or two and so doesn't lose the readers interest.

Raymond Feist's Riftwar and Serpentwar series are also good examples of multiple POVs written well.

A Game of Thrones is one example, in my opinion, where it goes too far in terms of POV with so many characters its difficult to keep track and maintain interest.

2. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Just thought I would throw my two pence in on this, but if this is done right, it is done well, if not then it can be a pain, although I can see why GRRM takes so long with his, I am trying something similar, and it is taking forever for me to write, so much so that I am postponing the idea until i can come up with a rehash, because it is a pain in the ass