Tags:
  1. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Multiple POV

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Thundair, Jun 28, 2019.

I have a WIP that bounces from my MC to the FBI to Homeland Security to the antagonist.
    The changes in POV were at the chapter change, but 60,000 words in I'm bordering on head hopping.
    What is the best way to keep the story going with all involved without going omniscient?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I’ve been POV switching at scene breaks—and once in a while forcing a transition so I can get a scene break when I want one. Would that be enough flexibility to solve your problem?

Thundair likes this.
  3. Thundair

@ChickenFreak Yeah, CF I did a little more research and most of the complaints about head hopping seem to be in a narrative run. Although there are some who say all the information should channel through your MC. To me that is no different from writing in first person.
    My story is a lot like the FBI stuff I like to watch on TV where they switch to the other team or the bad guy or the back story. I like knowing something that the character doesn't know and I can't paint that scene if my MC knows everything.
    Here is and example of my POV change....

Without saying a word, Sean put on his clothes, turned to get one last look at her killer body. As she stepped into the shower, he left.

###

In the morning at the warehouse, Ali came wandering in to relieve Daniel, and looked like he had been beaten with a baseball bat.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Unless I’m missing something, that seems like a normal POV change, neither omniscient or head hopping. Well, I am assuming that Sean can kinda tell that she’s headed for the shower. I’m also assuming that Ali can see Daniel.

Thundair likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

As long as your transition between scenes is clear, people won't get confused as to who the POV character is.

You get ease of depiction with frequent POV changes, but this can sacrifice reader immersion. It's hard to get immersed in one character for a page or two, then shift to another one and start the process again, only to have to shift AGAIN a couple more pages in. It's like trying to relax when you KNOW you're going to be interrupted any minute. You don't settle. Instead you're just waiting for the next interruption/change.

Some Guy and Thundair like this.
  6. Thundair

Thanks all. I have been educated on what head hoping means. I looked back and I have a scene change at every POV change and I feel more comfortable now with my work. With Jannert's point in mind I will see if I can keep from chopping of up into small pieces, although I like my shows that jump around.

7. AndieBoDandy

AndieBoDandy Active Member

Yeah. It doesn't sound at all like you are head hopping, given your examples. I think head hopping is when there is more than one viewpoint within a given scene. As long as you are clear to establish who/where/what at the beginning of each break, I doubt you'd confuse your reader.

I can't imagine not being able to switch viewpoints within a story, which is usually why I tend to write third person omniscient. I have limited experience writing first person; probably because I find it so limiting. I tend not to read it either...it just turns me off.

It also doesn't sound like you are incorporating too many viewpoints if you have it restricted to four main entities. You just need to stick to whichever viewpoint best works for each scene, and be firm in your decision.

Will we be seeing something shortly?