1. richardclayton53

richardclayton53 Member

Does anyone have a Website for their Writing?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by richardclayton53, Mar 14, 2013.

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone else had built a website to promote their writing? I've knocked one up on Wordpress, it's ok, nothing special, but it'll do the job for me. Would love to see what everyone else has done, if anything!

Here is mine if anyone wants to have a look! www.richardclayton53.wordpress.com

It might be a good idea to give each other some good old fashioned constructive criticism!! :)

2. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I've had one for the last few months - it's another Wordpress job. Eventually I'll get around to changing the theme, since I don't like it as much as I used to.

At the moment it's not so much for promotion as just to keep me writing, but I have had a few people sign up to keep me honest - including a few from this forum, I believe.

http://neilmurton.co.uk

3. richardclayton53

richardclayton53 Member

Hi Neil,

Just checked out your site, and i love the 100 word story idea! I read through a bunch and really liked them!

The only problem with Wordpress is that its really slow at loading pages :(

4. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Yeah, that's definitely true. But it means the site looks a lot better than it would if I tried to hard-code it, what with having slightly less web-design skills than my cat. And with any luck it just means people have more reason to get on the e-mail list :D

5. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

6. supportivemember

supportivemember Banned

("...I tend to have everything spread across forumland instead, because if I only had my stuff all in one place, the slightest mishaps would be the end of things, plus the fact that if one posts it across forumland its potential readership is far greater than just one place, moreover, in reposting the same stuff across forumland the reposting edits the original into something more me to my pen each time..." mentioned the goblin who termed it a practice of air/edit/backup for want of something better to explain it then)

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

No webpage yet, but I plan to.

A friend of mine who has 2 of her 3 books in a trilogy out so far has a very nice website example, complete with book trailers!

http://www.kakrisko.com/

The trilogy's webpage:
    http://www.stolenworld.com/

And trailers (one for each book):
    http://www.stolenworld.com/tree_004.htm

And now she has a trailer for another book:
    http://www.kakrisko.com/kakrisko_009.htm

The trailers are set to music with the story synopsis in text. It's a great idea.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my website is linked in my sig... i give away all of my writings, so it's no problem for me to make them all available on my site, but if you hope to ever have any of your work published, you should never post anything more than a brief excerpt anywhere on the internet... post the entire story/book/poem/etc. and you can no longer sell 'first rights'... and that's all most publishers will buy...

9. evelon

evelon Active Member

That's true, but for me, not knowing a widget from a whatsit, it was a godsend. Considering the choice of free templates, for a novice it's a good place to start. Now I'm wondering if an upgrade to Pro will do me any good.

10. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

Hey, I have wordpress web too:

www.teodorpravicky.eu

I learned how to do spamming, make it to google and yahoo somehow, but I don't think there can be many visitors if you realize there are much more websites, maybe more than people browsing.
    So I decided to use it just as simple showcase and as backup for the stuff I write, so I don't waste my time

11. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi Richard, just had a quick peek at your site. Love the outdoor pictures. Did you take the banner picture yourself? I bought a basic digital camera a few months ago to take pictures for my writing, but now I have got the photographer bug, I feel the need to upgrade:eek:.

The thing with a site is you need to be prepared to keep on updating it. I started a site just before Christmas, I really need to get stuck in and do some more work on it. Good luck to you and everyone else on this thread with your websites.

12. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

It used to worry me that a web presence could one day inhibit being published. But a friend of a friend got a $10 000 book deal and is currently negotiating film rights, all based off of his fiction blog. Sure that's nothing life changing to most people, but it's a career kick start I'd be more than content with. We are entering a new, and weird, era of publishing.... Didn't Fifty shades of grey started out as a piece of Twilight fan-fic?

I have been working on a web site detailing my latest world build for about three weeks now and it is very much a work in progress. I started writing a YA fantasy novella that turned into a 120 thousand word part 1, in a high fantasy series. That novel is currently being proofed by some friends before I look for test readers, so while I've been waiting I started writing short stories about some of the minor characters in the novel.... Sixty thousand words later I now have an anthology of about fifteen short stories ranging from one to ten thousand words.

Anyway, here it is if you would like to have a peak. The Etheros Anthology.

13. Bdriscoll3

Bdriscoll3 New Member

I am currently working on my blog. Just started two days ago.

www.driscollwrite.com

Wordpress is a bit confusing, but it's hell of a lot better than doing all the css and html.

I read that having a platform is something writers need nowadays, so I started a blog.