1. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Mumble Bee's Misadventures

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Mumble Bee, Jul 30, 2017.

I've never been able to keep one of these things going. I usually peter out after a post or two

but... but I think I can do it this time (said everyone whose ever tried to quit smoking)

Seriously though, I need to do this. So, I'll start today.

On the novel side (more accurately novella)

I'm at 30k words. I'm on my final draft, on page 65ish out of 85.
    Barring a few SPAG issues, I feel confident about pushing it out soon.

Screen Plays

So, I'm trying to get into something new. The problem is unlike writing a novel, this takes input from other people. Not just opinions from betas, but actual artistic impute.

I wrote the screenplay, but now I have to wait for:
    editing the source material to match my script
    voice actors
    Sounds and composition

And all of these steps are just as necessary, just as nuanced, as writing. I wouldn't be surprised if my script never saw the light of day.

And more than that, each level will probably want to change parts and... how do I deal with that?

Man, this was supposed to be a progress journal, but I ended up just bitching about everything. Maybe I did need this.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Andy_Megumi, TheNineMagi and VynniL like this.
  2. Mumble Bee

So, my screenplay was accepted and we went into the voice acting stage today.

That was.. an experience.

"Say it like someone just kicked your puppy and your parents think its our fault."

3. Mumble Bee

Started working on the second screen play, er well, episode of my online WIP.

There's something about writing this way that just clicks with me.

Ever since my failed first novel, an unwieldy beast that didn't know what direction it was going in, and if it did, it would have only used that information to fight me, I've become a bit obsessed with outlining. I have roughly 60 multiple thousand word outlines just rotting away in my harddrive. If you think that's a terrible place for them to end up, you're probably right.

But what I learned in writing all these outlines was how to connect major plot points. How to create the real structure of my story with only a base.

In my current WIP, that outline is essentially provided for me, its easy pickings, all I have to do is follow it, writing down scene by scene what character was where, and what they were doing, and I can fill in the blanks with an acceptable plot. Its essentially a game of playing inside the lines, inside the box, and how creative can you be in a small space. I love it.

The field i'm working in though is obsessed with creating stories, and then trying to fit them inside the box. Doing so puts loads of work on video editors who have to try and use any material they can find, and then adapt it to fit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't... that's when you either force the scene through anyways, or go to rewrite hell.

I probably spent more time on this entry bragging about how good I am at what I'm trying to do, even though I've only successfully completed one project, but what I had originally inteneded to say is: I think I found the form of writing I've been looking for, and it feels amazing. I've put out 12k words in the past 3 days. It's taken me 9 months to get to 30k in my current novel.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. Mumble Bee

Okay, I understand that the quality of this, both sound and content wise is lacking, but here is our first attempt at a podcast.

I say a few things that aren't... well... things that people should probably say, but I'm new, and nervous, and these excuses aren't good enough.

And no, the cover picture wasn't my idea...

5. Mumble Bee

Good news and bad news.

The Good news is that our teaser is up. It's just the first scene, and it's obviously going to be the roughest part of this project, because its the first part, but I'm still proud of it.

The bad news, is that a smaller project that i'd been working on by myself can't make it past the copyright filter. Kind of killed the spirit.

So for those of you that are wondering, here's the teaser.

Not my best writing, but putting this all together is a lot harder than it looks.

Please feel free to like, share, comment....

Lifeline likes this.
  6. Mumble Bee

Some good and bad news today. Mostly good though.

The Good

Abridged series:

-We've made it to the first page on youtube when you put in Grimgar abridged, and that's something.
    -Got all our lines recorded now
    -Finished the next two scenes and don't see any problems in finishing by the end of the month.

Podcasts:

-On track. Not getting a ton of views, but we're getting better at them

The Bad
    -My 'mistranslated' mini series hit a copyright wall it won't get past on youtube, so I either need to drop the project, or find some other use for it. I'm thinking about putting it on patreon.

The maybe good.
    So our guy doing the audio editing has a lot of down time, so he's decided to start up an animated project for the channel. I'm helping him develop characters while he does the artwork, hopefully its a second series for the channel.

7. Mumble Bee

People don't like to talk to each other.

If one person is stalled out on a part because they need something from someone else, they don't say anything.

When that someone else has already sent it, they think they're good to go.

Entire days have been wasted because of lack of communication.

The struggle is real.

Andy_Megumi likes this.
  8. Mumble Bee

I might be getting further and further away from 'pure' writing every day.

Here's a video I made about a week ago. I can't get it past the YouTube filter, so I'm trying to find another way to use it.

Essentially this is a short series. Each episode is only 4 minutes long and there is no English dub.

What I did was go through the whole episode, and 'make up' translations.

The audio and visuals are exactly how the show aired, but all the dialogue is completely new.

9. Mumble Bee

How can doing so little be so exhausting?

So our group has a second editior now.

Using a lot of the same voice actors, and reaching out for some new ones, we're working on a congruent series.

I've already fleshed out al of the characters, plot, and all the other story elements. The script is done, and I'm working on getting lines to the editor so he can turn it into something real.

Tomorrow's going to be our fourth podcast, they don't get a lot of attention, but we're getting better at them.

But the real take away from this is... man am I tired. Maybe its just because it's early, and I still have to go to school where i'm a full time student.
    Maybe it's because I haven't been sleeping well.
    Who knows, but if the army taught me anything, it was how to cover up with caffeine and false motivation.

10. Mumble Bee

This took me about 3 hours to do (just the audio and video editing, I did the dialogue a while back.)

It's only my voices, no one elses and no sound effects. Let me know what ya think!

11. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

No voice.

12. Mumble Bee

There isn't any audio at all till about 25 seconds in.

I'm going to work on adding music, sound effects, and ambient sounds next week.

Thanks for attempting to watch though!

VynniL likes this.
  13. Mumble Bee

Took me all day again today, but I have a working model up.

Let me know if any of you like it.

14. VynniL

Just my personal preference, but I fail to see the benefit of all the framing you put around the vids. They take up realestate and reduce the focus. I find myself not wanting to watch when you do this.

And NO, I still do not know what is going on.

I should have mentioned yesterday, because I didn't get it so much, I passed it over to my 7 y.o daughter. I mean this genuinely, but she loved it. It was really cute to see how she giggled and got so much enjoyment from it. She later harassed me on when the next episode will be up because she read it was to be continued. Thought you might be interested you have a fan, although maybe not the kind you expected... Maybe you're missing on another audience? I'm always looking for stuff for them to watch that is NOT pokemon.

Mumble Bee likes this.
  15. Mumble Bee

Huh, that's interesting!

You know, people always joked that I had the humor of a child but... uh.. maybe they wen't joking.

Also, I hate the framing too, but its the only way to avoid the YouTube Auto copyright net. Even though legally this is under fair use, it takes weeks to get a full screen version 'approved'.

ETA: Also, maybe don't show your daughter this one, there's some NSFW music at the end... I'll work on making this more PG from now on.

ETAA: And it just hit me that someone saw what I made and liked it... thanks, that's an amazing thing to hear. Tell your daughter she's awesome.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    VynniL likes this.
  16. Mumble Bee

A lot of effort went into this thing. I learned that I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did.

I honestly feel it came out pretty badly, but set me up to do better next time.

17. VynniL

I'm confused by your project. I'm not getting why you would override whatever the intended dialogue was in the original with your own. Maybe this is some sort of proof of concept approach? Maybe this is the first step of you becoming an actor? Or is this insertion of new dialogue a 'thing', kinda like nightcore?

Anyway, I'm sure you already know, but the link doesn't work. :meh:

18. Mumble Bee

It's not just the insertion of new dialogue. I've changed the sound effects, music, and characters of the show. Think of it like building a new house out of an old barn.
    As for the format, I have a few reasons why:

1. It's an open market for my writing. There are tons of books out there, and I've put some out, and they've caught almost no traction. Everything I've done has gotten buried under the pile. But what I'm trying to do has a higher threshold for publication, so fewer people are able to do it, and I have a higher chance of my work getting noticed.

2. This is the simplest way to gain experience on a low budget. I don't need a staff of animators or musicians.

3. It's a form of self correction for the industry. There are so many terrible plotlines and shows in the anime industry, tropes are inescapable well worn groves, and people deserve better stories than that.

4. It's challenging. Making a episode work when so much is out of my control... it's just fun.

As for the dead link, that's my bad, here's a live one!

VynniL likes this.
  19. VynniL

Thanks for the explanation. I know I sounded critical, but I've been curious of your reasoning. This latest voice work was good.

I allowed the girls to watch, one F-bomb is nothing compared to mum's potty mouth. :whistle:

They enjoyed it very much and are impatient for Ep3. So I'll count that as a success! If it's still PG-ish, I'll let them watch, but that shouldn't affect where you go with it! I just enjoy watching their reactions if the opportunity arises. I think on top of the animation itself, they seem to react positively to the drama in your voice work. :)

Keep having fun and good luck!

Mumble Bee likes this.
  20. Mumble Bee

So here we are again.
    Life has changed pretty drastically for me since I was last on the warpath. Pretty sure I have too.
    Lets see where this goes.

Cave Troll likes this.
  21. Mumble Bee

22. Mumble Bee

My IRL writing group fell apart last week.
    We'd been going strong for a couple years now but got Yoko Ono'd.
    It sucks because i'd come to really in vest in these guys and appreciate their feedback.

marshipan likes this.
  23. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I can appreciate that. I've had a hell of a time finding a writing group that fits. That would be gold. Sorry it dispersed.

Mumble Bee likes this.
  24. Mumble Bee

Things were great for a long time, maybe we'll get back at it some day, I don't know. But between everyone losing motivation to collab, and how im about to go out of the country for a few more months, its just not working.