1. LukasEmmer

LukasEmmer New Member

Murder plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by LukasEmmer, Jul 9, 2020.

So, I have a script idea.
    Basically there are 3 cops, with all different backgroundstories. They all have their own secrets, all of the secrets will be revealed throughout the story.
    The whole investigation is about 2 missing persons (Sarah and Caleb). We can't trace them by phone, because they didn't bring it to the date. Streetcamera's were not working, or not available.
    I have a whole idea about policemen, especially the inspector, being fired, stressfull situations. So the inspector gets fired and contacts an ex-cop. The two of them start their own investigation. But here's the thing.
    I need ideas what could've happened with Sarah and Caleb. They are kidnapped and murdered by an ex-cop. That's for sure. But I don't know how to bring it in the story, without rushing it. And ideas how they're murdered,.. You can be creative, it's a crime fiction, so any idea can be usefull!

I don't know if the story idea is clear? But I hope someone can help me how to bring it properly in the story. If you want more information to give an answer, ask me.

Thank you!!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

A couple was abducted, shot, and burned in their car while parked on the train tracks a few blocks from my house last month. Wasn't much of an investigation, though... they caught his dumb ass within like 2 hours.

The Providence mob used to dispose of bodies in the newly poured foundations of commercial buildings. This wasn't difficult since they owned all the contractors, unions, building inspectors, and city officials. Mayor and the Governor too. All their dumb asses ended up in jail together.

Lots of dumbasses in my neck of the woods.

LukasEmmer likes this.
  3. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I've turned to true crime mystery podcasts for inspiration in my murder plot. There's also unsolved/unresolved mystery shows. What's great about those is it walks you through from the beginning. Which is very helpful when it comes to transforming information into an actual plot for your story.

LukasEmmer likes this.
  4. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

Caleb and Sarah both stood witness in trial where the cop was stripped of his rank. The cop was found guilty of something nasty enough to warrant the whole department seeking to sweep the situation under the rug, and the media to be closed out of the proceedings. Hence, the association won't initially be "obvious" to those investigating.

The ex-cop was driven by revenge; perhaps to repeat the "nasty" part but this time have the victims be the witnesses. He conceals the abduction as a mob jump and the bodies are disposed of in a fitting fashion (see Homer's comment above).

5. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

My first question is: Why are the police so interested in the case? If two people are reported missing, the police might say, 'we'll let you know if anything turns up.' and that would be the end of the story. Maybe Sarah is the daughter of the police chief or some other high ranking person who could demand police time be spent on the case. Sarah and Caleb could intentionally leave clues that lead the police to investigate a company that the governor has had corrupt dealings with. Their disappearance turns out to be a ruse to have high-level corruption investigated.

Hammer likes this.
  6. LukasEmmer

LukasEmmer New Member

Well, I'm going to try to explain it, but is a lot to explain.
    The current chief of the police department (Richard), had similar cases 10 years ago. He, the ex-cop (turns out to be the killer) and the Inspector worked on the case. Back then, there were a lot of problems in the city. Nobody could know a kidnapper/killer was in town. So they had to solve the case, with a lot of pressure. We don't get to know that part in the beginning, but somewhere in the middle of story.
    Most important, they never solved the cases back then, he put an innocent man in jail, just to relieve the stress, to go back to their normal life. But they know it's a lie. Now they has a second chance to solve it. So that's why it's so important.
    Furthermore, there are 2 younger policemen, who don't know the history behind it. They're just excited to solve their first big crime.

I hope this explains it a little bit more.

7. LukasEmmer

LukasEmmer New Member

I like the idea. But how can Sarah and Caleb stand witness, if they're murdered?
    At least it was my idea to get them killed, maybe you see this in a different way?

8. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

The ex-cop knows what they're up to as they've complained about the corruption before but without success. When they disappear, he realises they're trying something new. He finds them and murders them to shut them up but they've already left clues for the other cops to follow. The task for the other cops is to find all the clues and piece them together.

LukasEmmer likes this.
  9. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Plot twist: the ex-cop has been murdering people this whole time. From his time on the force, to now, and he's gotten away with it for over 20 years. An injury has him benched and after a few years of desk duty, he retires because sitting down exacerbates his old injury.

Or does it? He retires because he wants to kill full time. He kills young couples and hides their bodies near where they're killed, but in so skilled a way no one ever finds them. He stays out of investigations unless requested in, and he manages to keep directing the other officers toward people he sets up for the crimes.

So far, he's never been caught.

LukasEmmer likes this.
  10. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Ahah. The Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist has been in the news recently. I listened to a podcast about him from a few years back, before they knew who the guy was.

Dogberry's Watch and LukasEmmer like this.
  11. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

They stood witness against the cop -> cop got demoted & fired -> cop devised his murderous revenge -> cop enacts revenge to murder them

LukasEmmer likes this.