1. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

Muscular Atrophy

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DarkPen14, May 20, 2019.

Let's be completely honest, nobody knows how the fantasy version of the crystal stasis works. A big gem forms around you, and somehow you don't die and don't age until the crystal breaks away, which raises like a million questions as to what this could be applied to (fantasy space travel, nudge nudge)

Well, I've operated under the assumption that my character only survived being crystallized because of how much magic she had. She's a demigod, druid, and warlock, of Morrigan, Celtic goddess of war and fate. So the only reason she survived is because her magic wouldn't let her die and put her to sleep until she was freed. So she survives, but with a few symptoms that come with being stationary and comatose for almost 1500 years; Muscular atrophy, culture shock, breathing difficulty (Air quality definitely went down from the fifth century to now), as well as memory loss, because magic and it's a reason to keep her from accessing her full power immediately.

The big one that gets me is muscular atrophy. I've done a bit of googling and I watched the Matrix, so I know it has to do with muscular decay from significant lack of use or function, which can also lead to drastic weight loss. In the story, this is kinda written off as she's physically weak and slow because she hasn't fully recovered yet, and is somewhat reliant on her staff and her Groot-ripoff to remain upright. Is this an accurate representation?

2. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

If you want to know what it's like, look up information on coma patients. I read a first-hand account from someone who'd spent only a few weeks asleep, but he was weak and could barely walk for months afterward. But, uh... after 1500 years, she'd be a puddle of flesh. Realism is all well and good, but there's gotta be a limit there. Maybe instead of being weak due to atrophy, she's weak because of a lack of magic in the modern age? (This would also be a good reason for her lack of power at first.)