Music for writing

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Scarecrow28, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

The songs that help me best when I write are usually rock/metal songs or epic orchestral types. I listen to the Dragon Ball Z Soundtrack or music from Final Fantasy games for when I'm writing a fight scene. That or I'll listen to songs by Rage Against the Machine or Metallica. Anything that pumps me up for writing helps me.

2. Anglewitch

Anglewitch New Member

Only if it's a slow and/or sad song. Anything faster, like rock music, makes me want to get up and walk around.

But I do need background noise of some kind. So I usually leave the tv on.

3. TheMagicIsDoing

TheMagicIsDoing New Member

When I write, I listen to music. Mostly I listen to sadsongs dont know why. :') I like Bizzy Bone or Bone Thugs-N-Harmony.

4. tauer

tauer New Member

Music for writing?

I was just curious, what kind of music do you use for writing?

I mostly use instrumental scores from various movies and series. I listen to a lot of Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Lion King, Inception to name a few), Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones), Nathan Barr (True Blood) and John Nordstrom (Lost Along The Way - just beautiful :redface:).

There are some excellent video game composers I occasionally listen to as well. Jeremy Soule to name one.

The occasional Requiem for a Dream doesn't hurt either :D

How about you?

5. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Orchestral music from Anime OSTs, Game OSTs...odd harry potter song lol I can listen to lyrical songs too but I feel Orchestral ones set the mood nicely. :3

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

preferably no music at all, I work better in complete silence. I get distracted by music. Sometimes while writing the first draft I can listen to certain songs that inspired me to the scene in question, just to get the right feeling to what I'm writing/recreate those ideas, but that is rare and only for a short time.

7. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

I used to believe writing was an emotional process, so listened to music. Then I came to realize it was an intellectual one, and prefer the peace and quiet conducive to lucid thought.

Speaking of video game composers, though, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night had awesome music (especially considering the time it was produced).

8. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I only listen to music when I'm brainstorming ideas, but not when I'm writing out the story. I also find it a distraction when I'm writing, but it's a source of influence for my creativity in the thinking room.

I listen to Immediate Music, Two Steps From Hell, X-Ray Dog, Audiomachine, E.S. Posthumus, and a bunch of others. These groups are what people would refer to as "trailer music", songs that you would hear in movie trailers, like E.S. Posthumus's "Unstoppable" track which was used in Karate Kid and the new Sherlock Holmes movies, or "Fury Unleashed" by Immediate Music that was in The Incredible Hulk and the Harry Potter trailers.

9. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

I used Cakewalk for my musical compositions. As for listening to music when writing? I don't need it but neither does it interfere with my writing.

10. Talitha

Talitha New Member

Like many of you, I tend to listen to movie scores and instrumental music.

Once, however, I wrote an entire novel listening to three songs on repeat because they somehow kept the atmosphere of the manuscript stable in my mind.

After about 20 hours of those three songs, I don't listen to them much now...

11. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

I listen to music constantly during writing, finding it keeps me on pace. Writing itself being a mix of an intellectual and emotional arrangement, for me at least, makes this preferable. As for what, well... pretty much anything, as long as it in some way fits the mood.

12. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

This is what I listen to too! :)
    Production music websites are a great place to find the perfect type of music to listen to while writing. There's action/adventure, comedy, drama, cinematica, ambient, electronic etc. Most of it is great quality and I have found it helpful when writing certain scenes.

13. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

It sort of depends on what I'm writing (which is kind of lame, I know). Most of the time I'll just listen to my Marina and the Diamonds station on Pandora, but I like to listen to 1950s music for my stories set in the '50s.

When I'm working on my sci-fi novel, I listen to Bjork. Because it's about aliens, so Bjork just feels right :p

14. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

I can write with and without music, though at times it hinders more than helps. It's particularly awkward when I'm listening to a certain song that gets my mind on an entirely unrelated albeit possible story.

When I do, I usually try to find a song that fits the tone I want to write. I perfer wordless songs, at that.

15. another wasted day

another wasted day Member

I usually build my playlists before writing anything. I just think music helps set the tone.

16. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I'm more single track, no multi-tasking ability at all. I love music but if I was trying to write I couldn't listen to it. I'd stop writing and start listening. I need silence to write, and even to read.

Cheers.

17. NaughtyNick

NaughtyNick New Member

It depends on the nature of the writing. If I am constructing a scene pregnant with pathos I will listen to something like Bach or Handel. If I am writing a scene containing violence I will listen to something like Kill All Hippies by Primal Scream.

Tonight I will be completing a scene featuring an arrogant, self-absorbed cretin with no discernible talent, so I will most likely listen to Robbie Williams.

1 person likes this.
  18. I like Clint Mansell's movie sound tracks. most notably those of the movie "the fountain."

19. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

I will listen to music occasionally, but only no lyric music.

20. kasa

kasa New Member

Music is basic and necessary thing for all the peoples and for good music and lyrics one must be master in song writings and should know properly How to write a song

21. jo epic

jo epic New Member

what music do you write to / derive inspration from

:D hello i was just wondering what do you all get ideas from personally i have gotten many ideas from Apocalyptica

22. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

If I listen to music while I'm writing I usually listen to Peter Gabriel, The National, or Paul Simon. All great lyricists and brilliant musicians.

23. jo epic

jo epic New Member

the national reminds me of forgner

24. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I can't write in silence. In fact, I can't do anything in silence: complete silence scares me. I've found ballads are good when I need to sit and focus on a scene with no distractions. Casting Crowns, Gareth Gates and Tohoshinki are my favourite artists to listen to when I'm trying to concentrate on writing. Acapellas, too, are useful in helping me to stay focused on a task. I've heard people say that they find lyrics distracting and therefore listen to instrumentals but for me it's the other way around. However, sometimes I need loud music to keep me moving through a scene - recently I've found Kumi Koda, Milan Stanković, Tomboy and The Twin motivating.

As for getting inspiration from - KAT-TUN have probably given me more ideas than any other artist. They've been my favourite group for years and I've drawn so much inspiration from their lyrics, promotional videos and concert sets. However, easily the musician who has most influenced my writing most is Boy George. His lyrics are incredible and just listening to his voice makes me want to write - if I can write a single paragraph half as good as anything he's ever written then I'll be satisfied! And I'm not going to stop until I achieve that. I idolise his words more than any fiction author. :]] Other artists who I've drawn inspiration from include Adam and the Ants, Gackt, LANDS (fictional band from the film "Bandage"), Marilyn Manson, Michael Jackson, NEWS and Placebo.

25. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

When writing, I listen to instrumental music, because lyrics are too much of a distraction. I'm a big fan of Gustav Holst's "The Planets Suite" as writing music, but I also find TV and film soundtracks are great accompaniment. In particular, Doctor Who series 5 and Battlestar Galactica (all seasons) soundtracks are awesome.