1. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Food!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Melzaar the Almighty, Sep 6, 2010.

I couldn't see a cooking thread in a quick scan up and down of the Lounge, but I'm not going to be so presumptious to start one if there isn't... However, if there isn't and if you all wanna keep bumping this with things you like to make, um, go ahead? :p

Really though I have one very pressing question: I know you can fry up and eat bananas and pineapples as part of a main course rather than dessert... Can you do it with mango too?! Reason being I have over half a mango sitting on my chopping board and I'm not sure I can face eating the whole thing raw. :p

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I know it tastes good in curries so I would guess so:) Although if you hand it over I will happilly dispose of it for you:) Mango Korma is scrummy.

3. Melzaar the Almighty

I have curry stuff! Right! Mango curry for Melzaar tonight. :D

(If I make too much you can have the rest :D)

4. Elgaisma

I'm jealous I was too ill to do chicken and sweet potato so we are having hot dogs.

5. Melzaar the Almighty

Aw! Heh, I'd box up a meal and send it to you but I don't reckon it'd be in very good shape when it reached you. :p

6. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

Here in So. Florida we grow our own, and they are very popular in fruit salad, or when very ripe pureed and used as a meat marinade.
    Funny--but the password of my WiFi access is "MangoMango".

If you want to cook, most make it in a chutney to accompany a meat dish.

Enjoy!.

7. Melzaar the Almighty

I am so moving to Florida just to steal your WiFi :D

Hmm, that looks like a good recipe... I'll keep it for a time when I have lots of mangoes, rather than half of one... I'm not smart enough to scale down the recipe accordingly. :p

8. daisydaisy

daisydaisy New Member

Right now I'm cooking Chicken, with rice mushrooms and peas. Yum!

9. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

No-No-Noooo: Takes a Brit to "cook" a chicken!.
    You're only a "Chunnel" ride away. If you use chicken and mushrooms in the same sentence, you must begin or end it with "Coq au Vin"!. Scratch the peas and rice for carrots, onion, and wide noodles.
    Now! You can kiss four fingertips to the Cuisine Gods and exclaim Yum merveilleux!!.

There is roast and fried chicken and Coq au Vin, no others, the latter allows victorious sauce mop up with garlic rubbed baguette. Now that's Yum to the fourth power!!. "Stew" is for Hobos!, only using stolen chicken!, and consuming the wine from the bottle.:eek:

10. Squidget

Squidget New Member

can you make homemade lasagnia? I love it, but not the store bought stuff, thats gross.

11. Melzaar the Almighty

You can make any foodstuff you care to name, with a bit of time and effort... None of it springs into the world ready to eat, with the exception of fruit and stuff :p Lasagne isn't too hard - you just need to buy the pasta sheets and enough different types of sauce and meat :p

12. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I got a dirty food secret I what to share.

Bacon - Waffles. Make the waffle mixture as usual. Add finely chopped bacon. Fry as usual.

Awesome.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

pasta forever!!!

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's getting to breadmaking weather again, i.e. weather cool enough that you don't mind heating up the kitchen with a hot oven.

A nice, firm Pumpernickel loaf sounds pretty good right now.

15. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I am a very novice cook, except for variants of scrambled eggs and boiled/fried rice, and maybe the occasional spaghetti. I throw some onions in for some flavor I guess, and no dish of mine is complete with some avocado slices.

And during my time in Ecuador, my grandmother was going to kill a sheep for us, but I managed to convince her to spare it, I had to help cook the cuys over an open flame in return though...very hot!

16. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Oh, thank goodness, Pallas :D I am a carnivore, but watching an actual slaughter would make me lose my appetite for a while. Eek!

17. Cogito

Not me. I love the grace and beauty of deer, but I have watched deer carcasses being hung and butchered, and neither diminishes my enjoyment of good venson. Likewise, I have watched chickens get beheaded (I was considered too young to wield the hatchet), chased the leaping headless fowl, and pulled the feathers (with a boiling pot to loosen them). I have never had store or restaurant chicken quite as delicious as those freshly-killed hens!

Obviously, I grew up in the country, although I was not part of a farming family. I know where I am on the food chain, and make no apologies for that. I catch, clean and eat fish, but I don't inflict unnecessary pain on any animal, nor do I stand for wasteful kills.

Eat well, and don't be afraid to confront and respect the sources of your nourishment.

18. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I'm not sure I could ever kill an animal for food. Then again, I've never been starving.

Even though I'm an animal lover, my reasons for eating meat (as opposed to becoming vegetarian, as alot of animal lovers choose to do) is for the simple fact that I don't want farmed animals to die in vain. If they're going to be slaughtered anyway, humanely, then I'm not going to turn my nose up at the sacrafice. It's better to give their death dignity in reason.

However, I've grown up in suburbia/the city, so I'm not used to old country values. I'm not using the "Don't blame me, blame the society that made me" excuse, but it's easy to get used to the slaughter being done for me, out of my sight. This makes me very sensative to things like hunting, especially for sport; I could never, ever agree with that.

If I was starving, however, like a lot of poor (poor as in lacking funds) folks in desperate countries are (and have to farm and kill their own meat), then I think I could be taught. For now, though, I'm damn happy I don't have to do it.

I do have a kind of admiration for self-sufficient people, though, who choose to grow their own just-because. I'd like to grow my own vegetables one day, and keep chickens for eggs. That'd be really cool.

19. Elgaisma

My husband grew up in a midwest cattle ranching and hunting family. I am capable to butchering a deer or any animal with pieces of flint - between us we have seen hunting and are capable of providing our own food. However both of us are vegetarian with the exception of the odd piece of meat from a free range/organic farm. May even cut that out over the next few years the cravings in my pregnancy wouldn't let me.

We can't have chickens but grow some veggies:) maybe one day. Much prefer beans and lentils etc to meat anyway feel better that way. My goal is to have a patch of land with some animals that get to live a comfortable existence and die naturally.

20. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    That's so cool, El. My boyfriend and his family grow loads of veggies really successfully; my family, naturally, don't. Everything diiies. -_____-

I did a tray bake cake :)D) yesterday and topped it all with buttercream icing and sprinkles. I had to use plain flower with some baking soda, and substituted caster sugar with brown sugar because we'd run out - but it was heavenly.

Seriously, I am Ashleigh Queen Of Sponge Cakes. My dad gobbled most of it, but I don't blame him - it was rather yummy, if I do say so myself!

21. Taylee91

Sounds delicious, Ashleigh :p And that's cool that you substituted ingredients. So glad to hear your dad's appetite hasn't been altered one bit. Hee, hee.

My mom is really good at substituting things. She'll go to the cabinet, grab a handful of things, and throw together a soup or some other concoction. And as always, the meal is delicious. She makes the best comfort food too. YUM!

My mom wants to have a few animals as well. Just a few chickens, one cow, and a pig though. She had thought about having some goats, but the only kind of goats we've ever seen, have given us a bad wrap. Their eyes, with the weird pupil shaps, creeped us out.

And me? When I have my log cabin, I want to have just a few vegetables: Cucumbers, Yukon Gold potatoes, maybe carrots, and tomatoes, and zucchini. That's it. I'm not willing to take care of animals. I'd be writing all the time anyway. Hee, hee.

22. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm craving cake now and I have none. :(

We (my family) have an allotment and we grow stuff like potatoes, green beans of some sort, raspberries, brussel sprouts (I think) umm don't know what else.. oh we have a tomato plant in the garden too. I've been to our allotment twice... >.> I do like the idea of self-sufficiency though.

23. Cogito

I think I'll have sausage and peppers over pasta tonight. A simple but hearty meal for an autumn day.

24. Taylee91

Hmm...sounds pretty good. Nice comfort food for chilly days.

25. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Mmm. Just had steak which had some nice pepper seasoning (I think..), and then I had yummy kinda gooey chocolate pudding. :D