Tags:
  1. Jamesbond2011

Jamesbond2011 New Member

My Book Idea: Too Childish or Something Good?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jamesbond2011, Mar 24, 2009.

I've been working on a book idea for about 4 years now. Its something that came into my head at the beginning of high school (7-8 years ago now), but I never really got into it until I told a bus with a majority of girls about it and they all clamored for me to keep writing it (not saying writing is a female thing, but that the girls at my high school seemed to want me to be a writer). After a while, I realized that the scope of this idea may be a bit big for my first attempt at writing, but its the only reason I actually starting taking an interest in wanting to write books. I wanted to throw the idea out to see whether people thought it was too immature or if it was something that could work (and if it could work, what would be some guidelines from keeping it being a waste of time or become too immature of an idea).

I've written the first book already, and is very much in rough draft form; I'm planning to put up the first chapter in the review forum within the week (just gotta do some other reviews before then). The book is about a high school graduate and his friends are whisked off 10 years into the future where they learn Satan and his hordes of demons have taken control of the world. And (you guessed it) the protagonist is the only one that can save them all. The story takes people across the whole world, experiencing different sins and the change this new world has come to bear. However, the protagonist holds a secret that he doesn't even know about until later in the series (did I mention that its set to be a 12-book series?). These secrets start to change the mind and character of the protagonist and could even threaten the fate of this new world. Will he become the hero Earth needs in its time of need, or will he fail in his mission due to the darkness enclosing around him?

So what do you think of the idea? I can't tell you too much since I haven't finalized anything past book 1, but I pretty much have the full story in my head. Its pretty much a science fiction read, with action and adventure in it. Too childish? Best-seller potential? A Good Start? Advice and critiques, please, and thanks in advance to all who read and/or post!

BTW, the name of the first book right now is The Descending Fire, if that helps with it at all.

2. Azkadellia

Azkadellia New Member

I am not so much into the science fiction genre myself, but I quite like the idea behind this. I don't think it's juvenile, though I think it would depend on the way in which the story is actually written as to what age group the series would be best targeted at. Due to the short description/summary you gave, I see it as a teen fiction read, though there are parts of it where I can see an adult perspective coming in to play.

Overall a great idea, and I can definately see great potential!

3. Moira

Moira New Member

Any book can be great if there's a great writer behind it. Also, greats idea's have been smashed by terrible writers, so it all depends on how you take it. It's your book, write it even if you think it sound childish. No one else should decide for you what you do. I like the idea, it doesn't sound childish to me, so go for it if that where your heart takes you.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Be prepared to get a long, annoying post about how the idea doesn't matter, it's how you write it.

Even if it does seem childish to some people, why is that a bad thing?

5. laciemn

laciemn New Member

Okay, no offense, but a twelve book series sounds a bit unrealistic/too ambitious. Is this your first effort at a novel? Are you planning to try and get published? Cause most first time writers start out with one book and not a series. I'm not saying this is necessary, but a 12 book series is just really huge. Maybe you should try to cut it down to a 3 book series, or even just one book that's really really tight and full of action.

6. Jamesbond2011

Jamesbond2011 New Member

It is my first real effort with any kind of writing. I am kinda holding off on publishing it until I see if its worth going for it. The reason its 12 books is because I originally planned it to be a 3 book series (like a trilogy or something), then realized mid-way in writing the first book, there would be at least 60-70 chapters, if not more, for each of three books. I decided that maybe this idea couldn't be contained in such a small scale. I then decided on 18 due to the storyline in the book (18 specific events for 18 different regions). Then I realized I could cut it down some by fusing two events into one book (not as major as some) and it has now become a 12-book series. I guess this is my "baby," and I don't want to tone it down and ruin the idea, but at the same time I've never had any other great writing ideas. I'm kinda weird in that I'm not the reading/writing person, but simply the writing a book person. I do have a couple of other ideas I could toy around with and hold this one off until I get some experience, but I just can't get my mind off of this book idea. As I said, its been with me for a while and I have put a lot of effort into it.

Anyway, I think it might be best for me to hold off on it until I get some other ideas onto paper. I'll try brainstorming tonight and post them later, but it will be hard to let go of this for another book (I feel like I'll be cheating...hehe). Thanks for all the comments so far!:)

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

8. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

Well I certainly do not see how the concept of Earth being overtaken by Satan and It's Legions childish, but the concept can be utilized effectively. I hate sounding like Cogito's echo, but you can take any concept and make it brilliant or God-awful depending on your skill or style as an author.

PM me when you post the first chapter in the Review Forums, and I'll be sho to tell you what I think. ;)

9. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Unless you plan to self-publish, the agents or publishers that you pitch it to will decide its worth - to them. You may get dozens of rejections for as many reasons before one decides to run with it.
    Get the first one written, edited, polished etc etc then start querying. ;)

10. Jamesbond2011

Jamesbond2011 New Member

I'll make sure to do that. And you are all right about its the author and his ability that makes the idea, but I guess I've never been the most decisive person and have always liked second opinions. As I said before, I'll probably hold off on writing this series since I have no real writing experience yet, but look for other book ideas and chapters. I'm not real busy right now with college (*is completely surprised he has no work to do*), so I will be posting stuff for the book ideas I have floating in my head, and maybe even post something from this book just to get people interested ;). Again, thanks all for the posts!

11. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Like Cogito mentioned before, it really doesn't matter the concept of the story overall, because there will always be the people who love the idea and those who will loathe the idea. It always boils down to how well it's written, and how much passion is placed in it. If you write with an apathetic mindset, it's going to sound dull, boring, and bland. If you write it with a fire in your soul and a desire to scream it from the rooftops, then it should sparkle and shine like a new penny.

But personally, I'm not huge on the sci-fi futuristic side of things. This idea is alright, and I probably would give the series a try, knowing my taste for wanting to read new ideas. However, I do know of a large base of people in my school who are big on these kinds of stories, so if you do ever get far enough to get your first book out, I'm sure some of them will come across yours and read it.

Good luck and don't let the negativity strike you down. If you're passionate about it, just write it!

12. SilverRam

SilverRam New Member

Hey, if you decide you love the story and really need to express it, who cares if it sounds childish to some people. I'm not going to tell you that some people will love it, some will hate it. Looks like you've had enough of that.

I don't know if it means anything, but personally I would read it. Doesn't sound childish at all, but I suppose that would depend on the definition your using.

13. architectus

architectus Banned

Jamesbond, here are my ideas.

If the first book feels complete, then you don't even need to tell the publisher you have 11 more books lined up. If they love the first complete story, they will ask for more, if it sells well.

Now, why use Christianity? Why Satan and his demons taking over the world? Why not make up your own mythology? Your own bad guys. Give the leader a new name. Don't call his followers demons. Give them a new name as well. Think of their place in the world, their powers, and how their powers work.

I think this would be more interesting. Demons get old.

because it's a sci-fi you can make them a type of alien. Perhaps so powerful to us humans they seem supernatural.

If done this way Christians will compare them to demons, Muslims to Jinn, Jews to Shadim, Hindus to Asura, and so forth.

14. Jamesbond2011

Jamesbond2011 New Member

That is an interesting thought. However, the bad guys kinda have a unique-ness to them representing different sins (for reasons I cannot say yet). Plus, I would probably have to reconstruct the whole book from scratch (first book is complete), and would have to change some canon ideas I have already set into play. Plus, changing from demons to aliens may severely hinder the main point I am trying to make with this idea. I'll keep thinking about that idea and see what I can come up with, but since I'm so far into designing the whole story (including the other 11 books), it might be hard as a writer to go back and tear down what I've been working on for years.

I will say that Satan does not make much of an appearance in the book, but just plays an underlying theme of the ruler of the demons. All of the demons are made up, and exist in physical form (some demons still possess humans, but however their escape from hell has allowed them to obtain physical bodies). And there are some futuristic technology that will have other-worldly properties to them. I don't know if its enough, but I would think that's close to enough to get people away from the idea of Christianity to a broader idea of evil in general.

Thanks again for the advice, architectus. Also, Thank you lilix morgan and SilverRam for your input. I'll try not being so negative and will keep pushing myself to work on it (I love writing, but I hate editing and reading). Thanks again all.