1. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

My Character has been arrested

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Reggie, Aug 9, 2011.

I am in the middle of writing a story where my main character goes to jail when the police catch her on the highway driving her brother’s motorcycle without a license. Is it possible that her boyfriend can bond her out of jail for that kind of offense?

My main character’s mother also violated her probation in order to pick the main character up from her boyfriend’s house. When the main character finally gets out of jail, she has a little bit of money left over to see her mother, but instead she goes to her boyfriend's house. Is it possible that the mother can return home before her parole officer finds out about this? I did not want to end up moving the story forward if it has no realistic meaning to it.

2. Chris Gentry

Chris Gentry New Member

She violated probation? I am assuming that means she has an ankle monitor? If so, I know a few criminals and their probation officers were pretty easy going. One of them cut his monitor off and didn't return home for a few days. They just put a new one back on and he continued his parole.

3. beard

beard New Member

My brother is on an informal probation (for reckless driving with injury to a minor). He doesn't have an ankle monitor (he did when he was on house arrest but not for the probation). The probation office doesn't make him check in or anything like that. The informal aspect basically means he can't get in trouble with the law anymore or he will serve a bigger sentence because of his previous record. I'm unfamiliar how a more formal probation works but I know that the courts are more inclined to hand out informal probation because of the overworked parole system. I hope that helps in some way. :D

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Bail is set at arraignment for most major offenses. Some offenses can be cleared for bail if the officers or an attorney contact a judge and he or she approves it.

Driving without a license, especially a vehicle not owned by the offender, would probably not be bailed out before arraignment, which typically takes place on the next day the court is in session.

Holding cells vary, from the barred cages seen in most TV and movies, to a concrete room with a steel door and a padded concrete slab, a toilet with the flush outside the cell, and no clock within view.

5. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

So if she is pleaed guilty for the offense, she cannot be bailed out, even if the judges decides that a bailout is available?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

She cannot enter a plea until her court appearance, which is scheduled at the arraignment. Bail is set or denied at the arraignment, depending on the severity of the crime and whether the person is considerede dangerous or a flight risk.