My distinct taste in music

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by CrowOfCalamity, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    I was always under the impression that Alice Cooper was Marilyn Manson's biggest influence. I saw Alice Coopers, Welcome to my Nightmare concert years ago, first concert I ever went too, was brilliant.

Lemex likes this.
  2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Of course, most of those songs were Top Forty in their day... so then they were for stupid people, but now they're "high quality awesome songs". Interesting.

3. Sipsik

Sipsik Member

well, this is not fair now, I agree that two records after Grotesque suck/are nota s good but the alst record? C´mon man!

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The last record? Sorry, I'm not an impressionable teenager who likes the cute goth girl anymore.

HelloThere likes this.
  5. Sipsik

Sipsik Member

1)sir, I don´t like your tone
    2) listen to the record before you talk about things you have no idea about
    3) your sarcasm is not making any impression
    4)piss off!

6. Lemex

I've heard the last record so I know what I'm talking about, it's just my opinion and personality isn't like your own, and has changed since the days when I liked Manson's music. I was that teenager who liked Manson to be part of a group, and honestly outside of the internet that's most of my experience with his work. And no that wasn't sarcasm.

7. Sipsik

Sipsik Member

It did sound like sarcasm, pardon, my mistake. I feel like you have not just get the idea behind Manson, and as you said, you were a teenager and wanted to belong to a group. Well, this is enough a good example to prove you have not get the idea, which is the opposite of belonging to a herd. But you lack of knowledge or interest is not a good excuse to label a certain music type to a cute goth girl. This is sarcasm, whatever you say.

8. Lemex

I think it would be better to say I got it, as in in the past, I don't get it anymore. Mostly because I don't need Manson to reinforce my sense of individuality. The only person you need for that is yourself. On reflection it all looks like teenaged angst and high school rebellion. I've grown out of it - or away from it, should I say?

And it's reflected in the sound too. Something like Fight Song or Beautiful People sounded great when I was 15, but when I'm 25 it just sounds like garbage.

HelloThere likes this.
  9. Sipsik

Sipsik Member

high school rebellion?
    Just because you are 25 does not mean that something you used to like at 15 should feel like carbage now.. idk what to say. You seem like a weird kid who grew up and repells now everything that resembles your youth.

Manson is about anti-theism not high school rebellion. Letś just agree you ar enot quite sure what you are talking about.

10. Lemex

On the contrary. It just means my tastes have changed. I don't really have a problem with people liking Manson if they find his work good - but I don't think he is.

If you disagree then you merely disagree. It doesn't really matter. It's not that everything I liked at 15 is wrong (that's mostly true, I was a stupid teenager in the Clerks - variety) it's just something that happens when you grow up.

So depicting yourself as a woman or as some corrupted Jesus isn't an act of melodramatic rebellion? You can dress it up as mocking religion, but come on, that's not really it, is it? - he's about shock value. If you don't know he has built a career on shock value then frankly you've not been noticing what he has been doing.

11. Sipsik

Sipsik Member

He hasn´t been denying it in any way, ofc it is the shock value. Only in USA could anyone become that famous on rebellion against christianity. Im not saying it isn´t so. Rebellion, ofc it is rebellion as well, rebellion against homophobes, public shock seeing a man in a dress. And yes, Bowie and many others have done it already before. It´s nothng to deny, hide or even argue about, It is what it is. Itś not bad for an artist to be shocking to some groups of people, it´snot bad to challenge. That is what art and music and literature is supposed to be. That is what we here are suppose to do. Challenge and shock.

12. Sipsik

Sipsik Member

And before you continue, yes, his ideas are not very new, rare or stmg of that sort really. People are just amazed that someone looking like this can actually have normal ideas, and talk like any other intelligent being. I don´t really see why we have to argue about that? His career based on whatever value. It does not make it any lesser value. What else values other artists have then? Name a few simialr. Alice Cooper is not about shock? Other rockń roll and grunge and punk bands are not after rebellion? Itś nothing to discuss, idk see why you make it seem like searching a some kind of value, or rebellion is something not as worthy or is to do with growing up. Accepting things as they are has nothing to do with that.

13. Lemex

Good, glad you agree.

Two words: Richard Dawkins.

So exactly as I said. Not about anti-theism (which it isn't anyway, anti-Christianity) but really more about rebellion. And melodramatic rebellion at that.

The shock value is not the issue I have with him directly. I don't like, personally, how that seems to be the only thing he has going for him, nor do I like his music. Again, I used to love his music, but now I think he's terrible and frankly I've grown out of him. Take from that what you wish.

1) There's nothing really new about his ideas. 2) Nah, it's really not a shock that people who look different can be intelligent.

Nor do I!

Two bands with, I find, more substance: A Perfect Circle and REM.

Hell, I'll throw in Tool, just for you.

14. Sipsik

Sipsik Member

Nah, it's really not a shock that people who look different can be intelligent.
    Yes, for some people it is. ;)
    Richard Dawkins is a good comaprison, how could I forget:)
    And REM is great, Perfect Circle, although they had jeordie, not so familiar.

Lemex likes this.
  15. Lemex

Then believe me you don't need to pay people like that any attention. :) Your life is happier if you just keep doing your own thing and ignore idiots who judge you for your appearance. It's even happier if you annoy them by ignoring them. ;)

I'm glad we could come to an understanding.

Sipsik likes this.