1. ECgirl19

ECgirl19 New Member

My feedback

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by ECgirl19, May 27, 2019.

I am very lucky to have a superb beta reader read my work and give me feedback. She recently sent me fabulous feedback, fabulous in telling me exactly what I needed to hear even if it was mostly critical and negative telling me where I need to improve. Most of it needed re-writing due to me struggling with first person and third person writing. It was perfect feedback for me as I need to head in the right direction and with her advice I can see and read with new eyes, she has helped me a lot with this feedback and I have thanked her for guiding me in the right direction. She said my sotry was all there but there wasn't enough detail on the characters, she said she knew what they looked like, knew about their lives but needed to know them more, why they were special, which is just what I needed to hear. She also said there is a lot I could take out that seemed to fill bits in. Again, fab feedback, that character has already gone! She did say to me, readers either like to focus on the characters or focus on the story. She also said its going to be the best damn book, which is great coming from someone that reads hundreds of books. I have changed 30,000 words and she loves the new changes, saying its a fantastic bit of writing, she said she felt like she was there with my main character and it was brilliant writing, so much so she cried and loves my original characters more.

I'm finding it hard to just focus on the characters, I love my story more, is this something you feel with some of the books you write? I also want to keep my adult scenes in third person but it doesn't seem to fit with all my first person changes now. My book will change massively if I can't do the adult scenes in third person and I don't want to change all that. What's important to you when you write due you focus on the characters or the story more?
    Thanks for any help

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd be careful about making sweeping changes based on the feedback from one person - with beta's i usually try to get feedback from several different perspectives before i make changes - i also don't accept every suggestion, you are the builder and the architect , the beta readers are merely building inspectors, this is your house to build

jannert and ECgirl19 like this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

What I want is to write stories that sell. And sometimes (or often) that requires making big changes. You don't find too many books that switch between first and third. I think you should think about that. Writing is rewriting and we've all got to learn how to kill our darlings. Of course, you don't have to change anything, but I've learned to be open to changing almost anything. I am a professional writer. Some changes are hard to make either because they are going to be a lot of work or because we're too attached to something. Not that every beta is right or even every editor is right. But the thing you seem reluctant to change is something I would strongly suggest changing not having seen your work. If I don't want to change something, I have to be ready to explain why to an editor paying for my work. They know what sells and what they want to sell. I guess it all really comes down to what your goals are wth your writing. But what you describe sounds like a hard sell if you really want to keep things the way they are.

ECgirl19 likes this.
  4. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Couldn't agree more with this. I'd be inclined to get more than one opinion before making changes as these views often conflict.

ECgirl19 likes this.
  5. ECgirl19

ECgirl19 New Member

Thankyou so much, this is such a fabulous place, I'm glad I'm here so I can turn to you all for advice.

6. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I think that the Beta is correct. Readers get into the characters or the story. I would say more so the characters for adult and advanced readers. Maybe the story for very young readers. If folks are still reading as adults, then they expect more than just a good story. I am learning that from the feedback I have received here.

Personally I am really benefiting from peoples advice on this site. I know my work is improving and other writers are focusing my minds eye.

Although I have received and look forward to receiving more advice from contributors here. I altimatley will have control and responsibilty.

Good luck and keep going!

ECgirl19 likes this.