1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

My First Rejection

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by A.M.P., Apr 11, 2016.

1. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

I got one yesterday...'so sorry I never replied to your e-mail of one year ago I was having a baby, and by the way the magazine has folded. Your story would have been a great fit but good luck in the future, do not reply to me, please ever, yours sincerely, Jane P**guin.'

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Unemployed Autodidact Contributor

hard lines @matwoolf — does she know all magazines tend to be folded?

Homer Potvin, matwoolf and Tenderiser like this.
  3. matwoolf

She was all right. She ran a 'funny' website - I sent her a poem [2 years ago] and she replied, 'great, can I use this, or do you have plans..?'

So, I replied 'No, do it, do it, plug my poem...'

Then nothing happened. Then she had the baby, probably.

[Y'see, if I was my wife I would have 'followed up.' Seth, if you post a gold star on my new blog I'll work on it. It has no followers. I need your impetus after a series of crushing losses...]

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

I follow your blog. Hmph.

matwoolf likes this.
  5. matwoolf

No, @TE, that one's hiding. I started a new 'more shit' one.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Tenderiser likes this.
  6. SethLoki

SethLoki Unemployed Autodidact Contributor

reply with link @matwoolf. I'll be honoured to plonk a sunny sheriff's star on your post.

7. joe sixpak

joe sixpak Banned

=============

I am surprised she replied at all.

8. Tenderiser

Do you work in sales and marketing?

9. BogLady

BogLady Senior Member

Do agents or publishers tell you why your work, book, poem, short story, etc was rejected? Do you always get a confirmation one way or the other or do some just ignore you if they don't like what you submitted?
    I know I am not even close to needing this answered, just curious.

10. Tenderiser

Very rarely. You'll usually get a 'form rejection' which is a standard template that goes out to everyone, regardless of why their piece was rejected. Something like "it doesn't fit out needs at this time" or "unfortunately we will not be publishing your story on this occasion." Sometimes form rejections are worded in a way that makes them sound personal (because the sender doesn't want the authors replying and asking for a reason) but once you get a few rejections you can tell the forms pretty easily.

But very rarely you do get a personalised rejection, usually if they really liked your piece and it was a close call.

Unfortunately, "no response means no" is becoming a lot more common, where they tell you if they haven't replied in a fixed time (say, three months) then assume it's a rejection. More places are adopting this policy because of authors who react badly to rejections and bombard the editor/agent/whoever with emails demanding feedback, begging them to reconsider, etc.

Quite a few places use Submittable (and maybe similar sites) which show you the status of your submission--whether it's being reviewed and then whether it's rejected--but doesn't allow authors to contact the decision maker. Seems a good way to go and will probably become more popular.

BogLady likes this.
  11. matwoolf

...this is completely reasonable and accepted behaviour within my circle.

Also, with experience, and also reading the stuff these people do publish [in their grubby pamphlets - the individual, a collection of friends] - sometimes you come to realise that in no realm ever dreamed of would you be compatible. This is THE issue for me, these postgraduate literature publishers with their emphasis on words & meaning/plot/conflict/stories about people like them/and the indefinite article.

123456789 and Tenderiser like this.
  12. Tenderiser

I'm sure they make an exception for you, mat. You can publish in my magazine, THE GAPING VULVASAURUS, any time.

Oscar Leigh and matwoolf like this.
  13. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Contributing Member Reviewer

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    ...so, what are you saying, basically?

14. Thundair

Thundair Member Supporter

My first rejection was from Omni magazine and it started out, "We like your story however it is not suitable for Omni at this time......"
    I started calling the rejections "However" letters. I am looking forward to more "However" letters in the future.

ToDandy, Brindy and Oscar Leigh like this.
  15. Mason C.

Mason C. New Member

I got my first rejection a few months ago. I had submitted a short story to a magazine called PRISM International and was rejected some weeks later. I printed it out and am getting ready to frame it soon.

16. big soft moose

big soft moose Contributing Member

I got my first rejection aged 12 when I asked a girl called Lucy Heslop to go to the school disco with me, she said no because I smelled.... I was gutted

oh wait, writing .... yes some 32 years later I've not had a writing rejection, everything I've sent to magazines has been published (this isn't quite the achievement it sounds as I've never submitted to a literary or writers magazine, I'm talking about little news pieces or articles for interest magazines). I have a manuscript at first draft so i'll soon be ready to start querying ... I suspect it won't be any easier to take all than it was all those years ago... although hopefully agents won't comment on my personal hygiene :D

17. RWK

RWK Member

I self-publish through Amazon. Despite being extremely unbiased and maintaining high standards, I have never turned away any of my work.

Tenderiser likes this.