1. zebra

zebra Active Member

I guess I missed the whole New Members forums.. but I'm still new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zebra, Jan 25, 2009.

Hola, - おはよう ございます, h-diguh-i, sabaidee, Aloha, malo..
    Hello!

I'm zebra.. really I'm just a fun person, I'm really open to everything but very liberal! but most writers are, right? I love this site, i've been looking everywhere for a website like this so ya this is really great! I'm a girl, i dunno if I've said that yet or not but.. anyways here are some things you should know about me...

1) one of the most important things that I think you should know about me is my favourite color! Well, it's Yellow! I don't really know why, but it always has been.
    2) I really love it when I get complimented on my writing.. it just makes me very happy.
    3) the most important thing in my life is my friends. they're the best, i love them so much.. i know that sounds a little juvenile but it's true. my best friend, she's really creative too. It's just great. I wouldn't be able to live without my friends so they're a huge factor in my writing.
    4) I'm very mature for my age (14).. i've been through a lot of rough times and had a lot of weight to carry on my shoulders. I still do. so that's a big influence on my writing, because, dreary though it may be, I write mostly about the bad things or the strong emotions in my life..
    5) I'm very bad about finishing stories.. I actually never do. I've only finished one but now, since i didn't have it saved on a computer, I've lost it. distressing, I know.
    6) I hate getting criticized for capitalization, grammar, and what not. I think it's kind of pointless.. or at least, it doesn't affect me when i'm reading/writing something. but thats just my oppinion..which brings me to my last thing..
    7) I'm very very opinionated.. I can't help it, it's in my nature. I try to see the good side of things, people tell me that I would defend Hitler.. So if I see something I don't like, I'm gonna tell you.. oh and theres still more i want to tell you he he..
    8) I love to have fun, and I love saying I Love You... or Luv Ya. but i've never said i'm IN love with someone.. thats a whole nother story..

so i guess that's it. you should definetly get to know me and i'll be posting, don't worry :)

2. jkell

jkell New Member

Hello!

Hello Zebra!
    My name is Justin and I am also new. I agree with most everything that you said about yourself...lol!! One comment I have is that I 100% agree when you said you hate it when people comment on your capitalization and grammer. Personally, my writing style is comprised of A LOT of fragmented sentences. Stuff like.... "And that was it. Then she knew. It all became clear." In my opinion, if you see it fit to use whatever capitalization and grammer you want, that is your "style." So if someone ever says anything again, just be like, "No, its not incorrect, thats my writing style." Its your work, do what you want with it. ;)

Sorry...that was a really wordy reply.

So again, Welcome...

3. zebra

zebra Active Member

:)))) welcome to you too! i'm not especially new, but i joined this month. i've already got a few posts out, so please feel free to read them!:))))

4. jkell

jkell New Member

I shall indeed. I on the other hand, joined literally like 5 minuted ago...lol!

5. Jack

Jack New Member

Hey Zebra! Welcome to the WF!

So your a liberal eh?... We will see about that :p

Same with me! It just makes my day.

6. zebra

zebra Active Member

Nice to meet you too Jack! But not liberal? tsk tsk!

7. Jack

Jack New Member

no no no... its the other way around. Your not conservatives? :p

8. zebra

zebra Active Member

as if!

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello zebra, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Opinionated is fine, as long as you remain respectful when you express it. That's our number one rule.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!