1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Super Tuesday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daniel, Feb 6, 2008.

Who did you vote for and why? If you can vote, that is. :D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And if you're in the United States, in one of the states that held their Primries today. :)

I'm a Republican, so I voted in the Republican Primary for John McCain. I'm from Massachusetts, so there is no way I would vote for Mitt Romney, who flip-flops like a hooked carp in a rowboat. If I ask an opinion of a candidate, I want to hear what HE (or SHE) thinks, not what his staff has determined the majority of voiters that day want to hear.

As I said, I'm from Massachusetts. Like the Boston Globe and the Herald, who gave their endorsement to McCain, I have seen Romney in action already.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

McCain all the way. Of course, in the end my only rule is anyone but Clinton.

4. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I'm Australian so it doesn't matter to me but I would of voted for Hillary. Only because she's a girl! :p :D

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

All I have to say is thank God you're not voting in America... :rolleyes:

6. Cicero

Cicero Banned

I'm really, really pulling for Obama. If Hilary becomes president I'm fine with it. She'd probably be a very good president.

But Obama.. Man, he's something else.

7. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

hehehe. I saw a pic of Hillary somewhere, and it was taken at the right moment- she looked like a robot or android thingy! :D :p

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I was pulling for Fred Thompson myself. Oh well. Ohio doesn't vote for a bit. We'll see who is still standing when Ohioans go to the polls.

Cicero, you list in your profile as Libertarian. Obama and Hillary are pretty far from that. Ron Paul is probably the closest.

Terry

9. Cogito

Ron Who? ;)

10. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Ron Paul may be the closest, but Ron Paul doesn't have any sort of chance. Technically, I feel I would be the best president for the country, and that my views are best ( As everyone does. That's why they're our views. ), but I as well do not have a chance at being president. It is the same principle.

Besides Ron Paul, though, no candidate is near Libertarian. As well, I doubt that the next many decades we will ever see a Libertarian with a chance. Also, being Libertarian, Republican, or Democrat does not determine your stance on how the war in Iraq should be handled, abortion, and some other key issues of our day.

Obama and Hilary may not be Libertarians, but they're the closest, most liberal, most open-minded ( In my eyes, at least. ) people that have any sort of chance.

11. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

The name Mitt Romney is enough to turn me off the person, coupled with the limited footage I've seen. He looks arrogant and ignorant.

12. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

To be honest, I really don't like any of the candidates. Romney does change his point of view, as Cogito said. I don't like McCain's POV on several issues - he seems to liberal. I like Huckabee on social issues, but some of his economics viewpoints are flawed. Obama is very likable (for a Democrat :p). Hillary, on the other hand, will destroy this country.

I've very pessimistic towards the next 4 years of America. Things are not looking good from my standpoint.

13. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Look at the bright side Spider. According to the Mayans the world ends in 2012.

EDIT: In hindsight, this isn't the bright side seeing how 2012 is an election year :confused:.

14. ValianceInEnd

Screw chances! I'm looking for a Ron Paul Revolution! :D

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Foolish mortals... Your presidents will never be able to stand before the hordes of my soulless army!

16. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I wish people would vote for who they want in power. So many people vote what their parents did, or only choose between the top two parties - i always feel that last point in a way limits the diversity that democracy is suppose to be about.

I'm not American, but I think it would be great if America could get an intellect and great public debater/speaker as president

17. Banzai

Vote for the policies, not for the people. Black or white, male or female, it shouldn't make the slightest difference.

18. Cogito

Pearty affiliation does matter, whether you want it to or not. It affects how the balance shifts on proposed bills, for example.

Sometimes it matters more than the actual person in the Oval Office.

19. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

While personality has something to do with politics and the ability to promote and persuade others to one's position...sometimes politics and voting becomes too much of a beauty contest.

Other times folks are one issue only voters. I will vote for this candidate because he'she is pro-life. This candidate is anti-war. There are many single issue voters, who do not consider the whole package.

Then, I think some folks don't really know where they stand and how they truely feel and compare those opinions to what candidates say (and have done/voted in the past).

I'm going to start another string in the Lounge that has the world's shortest political quiz. It's 10 questions long (5 economic and 5 personal issues). Folks interested in this string might find the quiz interesting.

Terry

20. Eóin

Eóin New Member

I, while not living in America, would personnally love it if Obama got in. While I generally am a cynic when it comes to politics, if there is a chance that the President of arguably the most powerful country in the world is not an aggressive, arrogant, lying, cheating, backstabbing bastard like most high-end politicians are in my opinion (though maybe only lying, cheating and backstabbing) then we should take the chance. America is, IMHO, a country gone down the spout.

While this might be simply because of George W Bush and his most recent forebears, I can't help but hope that most of the monolithic bloody-rich structures that run America will be changed (or get pulled into the ground by zombies). Anyway...

21. Banzai

I'm gonna go with the zombie option. Sounds cooler.

22. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

I'm in the UK but i think Obama. He seems enthusiastic and has a lot of vision. Anyway my country is technically ruled by the US anyway!!! LOL

23. ValianceInEnd

Hehe, did someone say... zombie? :D

24. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

*runs screaming*

But then again- I feel partially sorry for those running the country when in reality, it's everyone else in the government or parliment that's running things- the president or prime minister is pretty much a public face.

But still. The government just rose our intrest rates. again. adding another 50 bucks to our monthly morgages. Considering that the new prime minister said there wouldn't be another one this year or something. I mean, all well and good but at least give us a pay rise to pay for the increasing fuel prices, food prices, our homes and general bills.

Oh well.

I still want Robot Hillary Clinton in because she's a girl! :p

25. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

In the United States, the President does more than act as a public face. While it's sort of kept in check by Congress and sometimes the Supreme Court, the Presidency does wield a lot of power.