1. Richach

Richach Senior Member

My Progress Journal by Richach

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Richach, Feb 19, 2020 at 9:02 PM.

Tonight I start my second book whilst the first is being scrutinised by beta readers. I have to do something whilst I wait for the verdicts to come in.

The work in progress is a backstory about Alex, a character from the primary book. I was initially thinking that it would be between 5 and 10K but I am in the mood to surpass that and I would quite like it to become a novella. Let's see if my creativity allows it.

Oh and the most exciting thing for me, no editing until the first draft is done. :superwink:

2. Richach

Richach Senior Member

Made a start. 509 words, which is better than zilch! The temptation to read the piece back to myself was very strong but I managed to resist. Kept the flow going although I caught myself correcting the odd mistake. Let's see what tomorrow brings as I drive around. Should manage to think of something.

3. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

Sound good.

Richach likes this.
  4. Richach

Richach Senior Member

Another 1300 words today so that's 1820 in total. Hmmm, need to think of a title!

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Active Member

I only read back far enough to remember what I was talking about the last time I worked. Good luck! I'm excited to read about your progress.

Richach likes this.
  6. Richach

Richach Senior Member

After undertaking a project for my step son's 18th. The penny has finally dropped whilst using adobe illustrator, I have discovered that image trace then expand options allows me to manipulate images in a variety of different ways. That will come in useful for mocking up potential book covers. Now all I need to do is learn how to draw using another gadget I bought last year - a Wacom tablet. So as I get tired of writing now and then I can draw. I might even fit some work in now and then.

Just to add that reading some of your progress journals has been an eye opener. I never realised that it was possible to be so productive. Hope you guys don't burn out! I will try and keep up with the backmarkers.

7. Alan Aspie

1. Our kids like to draw with 12.9" iPad Pro + Pro Create. They love it. Many professionals use it.

No matter do you get interested about it or not, but you might find some of the tutorials fit to you. Maybe?

2. Sounds good. Visual narrative thinking supports textual narrative thinking. Aesthetics and symbolism in text and picture support each other. And still you get some rest from previous things.

4. (A+B+C) * (X+Y+Z) = Much done with less effort than all those would be separately. (Textual + visual + auditive) * (learning + training + doing)

When you learn about textual narrative thinking, you can use it in visual and auditive areas. When you train your video skills you learn about script writing, rhythm & pace, b-roll -thinking (sub- and side plots), character building & casting...

You just do things in wide area so that everything supports everything else.

There are synergy benefits everywhere. What ever time and energy you put to finding and using them, you get back with huge interest.

Think about this....

Puupohdiskelija-1278.jpg

It took about 2-5 seconds to snap it. It took less than a minute with a RAW converter to make it look so 3D and to build that emotional tone. And there is a symbol or avatar of a character, a situation, a stimulus, a sub plot, a...

That's less than 60 well used seconds and I got something that could take several hours by other/textual means.

The foundation of writing is not writing. It's honing away all the barriers and blocks which prevent the flow of your best thinking and emotional work. Most of those are inside you. You can't find them by searching but you can find and grind them by doing things which let you experience that you have expressed yourself in a way which you want and need to do.

If you do things you love & need to do, you develop fast.

Xoic and Richach like this.
  8. Richach

Richach Senior Member

Thanks Alan,

I have the full Adobe package. There a plenty of free tutorials on youtube, half of which are posted by adobe. I did do a beginners course in graphic design which was excellent although it has taken a little time for somethings to sink in. My head is pretty clear now so I can delve into my graphics.

I love your idea of economical thinking, I am glad I explored this little corner of the forum.

Speaking of which, does anybody know how to get a Mac to download an update at any other time than I want to work on it?
    #3 hours and counting :supersleepy:

Xoic, Dogberry's Watch and Alan Aspie like this.
  9. Alan Aspie

1. You are welcome.

2. It helps.

3. Progress journals is the area which is tightly connected to really writing, learning, doing, putting yourself into the line of fire...

It makes it a bit different. Peer support is a bit different. Advices are a bit different. Those who write and read here might be a bit more serious with their writing than part of the folks somewhere else.

Xoic and Richach like this.
  10. Xoic

Xoic Member

@Alan Aspie I've studied drawing and painting for a long time, used to make (crappy) comic books and magazines, and also have done animation and filmmaking. Oh, and photography, which was one of the many skills needed for animation (I did stopmotion). I find all the various skills merge together into the unconscious crucible as well as conscious knowledge, and they all feed into each other. However it does take a lot more time to study and practice so many different things, but I reach burnout point after a few years and find I want to do something different, so that's when I jump tracks. At least that's how it's been going, maybe when I get really good at writing I'll stick with it. :bigcool:

Richach and Alan Aspie like this.
  11. Richach

Richach Senior Member

Alex's back story now running at 3,686 so that is an extra 1,866 words today. Fleshed out the beginning and one of the main chapters. Quality is pretty decent so I am happy. It all seems to be coming together much easier second time around. I am so glad I finished the draughts for the first book which is at beta reading stage, it has given me some real confidence that I can finish this project too. Also still looking at Adobe Illustrator. Some great tutorials on youtube. The ones without talking seem to teach me the most as they get straight to the point. Watching seems to work better than listening as longs as I don't miss anything.

Decided not to enter any contest's on the forum this month as that takes up too much time and I would rather produce this back story first. All efforts towards that.

Done a bit of beta reading which has helped me identify how to make my stories stronger.

Alan Aspie likes this.