1. Jason Govender

Jason Govender Member

My very first Novel - Untitled

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Jason Govender, Nov 3, 2017.

Greetings!
    I have been in the process of taking a serious effort to finish a novel. I have been putting in the effort and am finally seeing myself going somewhere. Writing a novel doesn't seem like as much of a daunting task as I once thought it to be.
    I am more comfortable as a discovery writer so a lot of this progress report will be me talking to myself about different ideas on top of my actual progress.

Synopsis:
    Ozwald has been working with his goblin partner Shingles ( I am aware this is a disease but I still liked the name) for six years to solve cases in the imperial city of Nier. Recently they have fallen upon hard times with only searching for lost pets among less interesting jobs. Until one day Ozwald noticed suspicious onions in his neighbours yard and calls his partner to discuss.

I am going for a humour driven narrative with a very serious undertone which is how I believe most people live their lives. It had been tough so far to get it right but I'm sure I can manage it successfully.

My current progress:
    Chapter One consisted of an introduction to the characters and setting as well as an introduction to the inciting incident. The biggest thing I noticed which I was doing wrong was conveying emotion through narrative instead of actually showing the emotion. This is something I have been working on but may need a lot of work to actually get right.
    I started Chapter Two with a two day time-skip which I think should not have been done. I turned it into Chapter Three and decided that Chapter Two would be the events within those two days.

Objective for today:
    Get half-way through Chapter Two in an interesting manner whilst also introducing more of the setting and character backstory. Also will try to introduce interesting, minor characters.

Current Word Count: ~3000

Andy_Megumi likes this.
  2. Jason Govender

Jason Govender Member

Today ended off without much productivity. I introduced chapter 2 but will probably end up scrapping most of it. I got some advice on chapter 1 from my brother who is also a writer. This made me go back and rework chapter 1 which I think is miles better now.
    Idea for chapter 2. Split up the two main characters and divide the chapter into three scenes. A conversation between them the day before. Two scenes from their own perspectives as they walk through the city the next day on their separate objectives. Opportunity to introduce more backstory and setting.
    All in all I'm still happy as long as I moved forward.
    Will probably not be working much on this for a week due to finals on the horizon, but that just means I need to work that much harder when I come back!

3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Shingles is a great name for a goblin. But is he really a goblin, or effectively just a human masquerading as one? I mean, how does his goblin nature help or hinder his detective work? Just something to think about.

Has the inciting incident (is that redundant? Hmm) happened yet?

Jason Govender likes this.
  4. Jason Govender

Jason Govender Member

I'm definitely working on making Shingles break out into his own character that's believable and not generic. It's a good idea to use his racial traits to accomplish that. It is possible that he is just pretending to be a goblin and his partner is just humouring him. It's something I would put under consideration for his character sub-plot because I haven't really had an idea of his yet. I doubt I could go that deep though, but I'll see where I end up in a couple of chapters.
    I would consider the discovery of the onions to be a small flame but not large enough to call it an 'incident'. I believe the inciting incident (it does sound redundant but it's the phrase I've seen most through my studies, so I'm used to it) is what will shoot the plot forward and keep it going until the climax. So to answer your question, no it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks for the input!

5. Jason Govender

Jason Govender Member

No words to paper for today, but I have something that's worth putting down as progress.
    I am constantly thinking about these characters and I just thought of something that I had never thought would be possible with these character. It's the big twist that leads to quite a depressing ending. I was too protective of my characters to actually go through with it, but I think it would add a layer to the story that was missing.
    This will need a lot of foreshadowing and build-up throughout the story which is going to be a ton of hard work for me. But I think it'll all pay off in the end as long as I can do it successfully.

6. Jason Govender

Jason Govender Member

Finally back after my two week hiatus and ready to put serious work into my novel. Today I made it a good way in to chapter two and approaching the meeting of a potential love interest for Ozwald. A little bit of foreshadowing for the big incident in chapter 3 and a funny action-packed scene should finish it off.
    Reached 1k goal for the day.

Current Word Count: ~4000